What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » The Jerkstore  » Prognosis Negative - Polls  » Dottle 2021 politics: Pestilence showed up, which little horseman is next» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (262): « first ... « previous 254 255 [256] 257 258 next » ... last »Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Dottle 2021 politics: Pestilence showed up, which little horseman is next
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
06-11-2017 12:24 PMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

A religious test is saying "You must be X religion to hold this office". It's NOT asking for people to clarify their public comments. Get real.

06-11-2017 12:44 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

No, a religious test is saying that you must hold religious beliefs XYZ to qualify for office. It refers to an ideological purity test, not just nominal affiliation. This was because England used to make it so you had to explicitly deny specific doctrinal points to hold a government position.

This is a subtle but extremely important difference.

Vought expressed a religious belief that had nothing to do with physical life. By going after him for expressing a specific doctrinal point about the necessity of belief in Christ as the Son of God for salvation, Sanders was advocating for a religious test in its truest form. This is because it is in opposition to a more liberal conception of religion where Christianity is one path to salvation out of many.

The university Vought was defending is allowed to ask for a test like that as a private institution. A government official is explicitly not according to the Constitution. Sanders was wrong. Period.
06-11-2017 1:46 PMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I'm not arguing this with you. You're no more of a constitutional scholar than I am, and that clause has zilch as for as judicial precedent for anyone else to go on. All these claims are just everyone making up their interpretations that have not been demonstrated previously.

But feel free to keep getting worked up over it.

06-11-2017 2:18 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Edger:
You're completely right, but I don't like what you're saying and have no argument against it so I'm going to go "nuh-uh".

I translated this for the benefit of everyone else.
06-11-2017 5:43 PMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Too bad your translator is broken.

There's no legal basis for your claims, so have fun with assuming you're a rare breed of constitutional law expert. And not a single article discussing it has gone into actual legal arguments, they've just been opinion pieces from people that aren't legal experts reaching for terms they think mean what they want them to mean. But that's generally not how law works (being easily understood by layman), let alone something as complex as constitutional law.

You can make up arguments all you want, but unless this actually gets tried in court there's absolutely nothing here. And no one has (yet) talked suing Bernie (which could be because it's a groundless claim). It's a distraction meant as a distraction and nothing else.

And this article actually has comments from half a dozen experts, both scholars and lawyers, and they all agree that he didn't violate the constitution (and that it doesn't even apply in this case).

code:
1:
https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2017-06-08/experts-bernie-sanders-can-vote-against-nominee-based-on-christian-beliefs

(the URL isn't working right for some reason, when I let it auto-fetch. Goes to an Access Denied page).

Quote:

But scholars say Sen. Bernie Sanders can without consequence apply his own religious rubric in opposing a presidential nominee who believes non-Christians risk going to hell.

“No senator should vote against a nominee based on his or her religion. It would violate the spirit if not the letter of the Constitution," McConnell says. "But senators can vote against nominees for any reason or no reason at all. There would be no legal consequence, and the nominee would have no forum for complaint.”

Funny, it's sort of like how a Senator can cast a vote against a nominee because of the stance on some other controversial religious topic, such as abortion, and it's always been perfectly okay.

This post has been edited; it was last edited by Edger: 06-11-2017 6:06 PM.

06-11-2017 6:35 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Edger:
Funny, it's sort of like how a Senator can cast a vote against a nominee because of the stance on some other controversial religious topic, such as abortion, and it's always been perfectly okay.

One's opinion on abortion directly pertains to an issue affecting physical life, though I question why that would come up for a nominee in that particular department. One's opinion on attainment of salvation does not. This equivalence is false on its face.

And of course Sanders will face no consequences legally. He's still wrong for doing it and it is against the Constitution even if there are no legal avenues to sue him for it. This sort of argumentation is why no one likes lawyers.
06-11-2017 6:58 PMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Apparently not.

This isn't one of those "he gets away with it because he's rich" kind of things. It's a "he's allowed to do it because it's allowed" kind of thing. Any other assertion of "wrong" is simply a matter of your moral framework, which obviously isn't the same as my own.

He can vote against someone for whatever reason he wants. He doesn't even have to disclose the reason why. But since he's being more up front about it (essentially saying he questions the judgement of someone who firmly believes enormous groups of people are "condemned" within their framework), everyone is pitching a fit. (Except that when Trump says stuff to your face it's laudable and refreshing). What a joke. That's all this is.

All I can think about is that it's going to be another 3 1/2 years of this kind of bullshit. I'm already done.

06-11-2017 7:38 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

So Bern is doing this for the attention? Shame on him.

Emptiness = loneliness = cleanliness = godliness

06-11-2017 7:59 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
Sanders interrupted.

"I understand you are a Christian,” Sanders said. “But this country is made up of people who are not just... I understand Christianity is a majority religion but there are people of other religions in this country and around the world in your judgement do you think that people who are not Christians are going to be condemned?”

Quote:
Quoted in the context of his piece, Vought’s statement about Muslims carries a different meaning from what Sanders was implying: He was deconstructing Hawkins’s theological claims about the relationship between Islam and Christianity. “Christians believe that Jesus is the Son of God who is fully divine (and became fully human),” Vought wrote. “If Christ is not God, he cannot be the necessary substitute on our behalf for the divine retribution that we deserve.” He believed Hawkins’s statement created “serious theological confusion” about “what it means to be in relationship with or know the one, true God.”

06-16-2017 9:32 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

The Senate's Health Care Bill Remains Shrouded in Secrecy - NBC News

My plan when Hol is elected president (Stand with her) is to throw a bunch of elected officials into the same supermax cell as Hillary.

And by cell I mean a dank pit that its impossible to climb out of.

Then sit there eating a bucket of popcorn and watching who in the group ends up being the last person standing.

The winner gets put on trial for a litany of crimes against their office.

Social Credit score: Negative 1997

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

06-21-2017 1:09 AMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

So if people actually examined these special elections in Georgia and South Carolina, the one in South Carolina was a lot closer for the Democrat.

Could that possibly be cause the district in South Carolina isn't as affluent, and the main concern was about healthcare and the Democratic party should understand that.

The answer is yes. But that's never gonna be talked about. You're just gonna hear these broken down along identity politics lines....well for the five minutes the news channels even talk about it before going back to the Russia thing.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

06-22-2017 1:31 AMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Some House Democrats says it's time for Pelosi to go - CNNPolitics.com

Quote:
"We need leadership change," New York Democratic Rep. Kathleen Rice told CNN outside the House chamber. "It's time for Nancy Pelosi to go, and the entire leadership team."

Well finally, it took you long enough to admit something everybody else figured out ages ago....now let's see if that happens.

Quote by Alizarin:

06-22-2017 6:34 AMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

(The answer is no, she is great at raising money.)
06-22-2017 8:45 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

But she's fucking senile like Maxine Waters.

Proof: the crazy bullshit she was spouting after Paul Ryan made a great speech after Scalise was shot (I still hate Paul Ryan but that was a pretty great speech)

She was all like "I PRAY FOR OBAMA EVERY DAY" lmfao you fucking old bitch go off somewhere

06-22-2017 2:37 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

The west coast was a mistake.

Quote by Alizarin:

06-22-2017 2:44 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Should have left it to the natives.

I still say we give them Manhattan back.

06-22-2017 3:22 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Abraham Simpson:
Dear Mr. President, there are too many states these days. Please eliminate three. I am NOT a crackpot.

(Actually we should have just stuck with 13, 13 was fine.)

Quote by Alizarin:

06-22-2017 9:36 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Alabastard:

Yeah this is gonna be a disaster, they're not gonna win back seats.

2020 forget about it. If they run it like that unelectable trainwreck candidate last time, just give up now.

Look these are just facts, if it offends you....actually I hope it does and you yell at the Democratic party. This isn't fun to point out, it's just observable facts.

The entire plan seems to be "We'll wait until Trump really fucks up". That's apparently the whole strategy....which isn't really a strategy, totally banking on your opponent handing you a victory. I know democrats tend to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory but lately that joke apparently has become the game plan.

And the Russia thing isn't gonna play. That's not gonna be an ace in the hole. Unless Mueller finds something you're gonna sound like truthers that don't wanna admit you fucked up nominating the wrong candidate.

Quote by Alizarin:

06-25-2017 6:24 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Alabastard:

"All I can do is wait..."

"Wait for what?"

"....For the cancer to come back your career to end."

(Yes I did just compare pelosi to a sociopath meth kingpin and the democratic party membership to their suffering wife that's stuck in the shitstorm, cause they and their children got dragged in.)

Quote by Alizarin:

06-29-2017 4:36 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Dear Mr. President

I also don't really watch Morning Joe anymore. We have a thing in common.

Can I be FBI director?

Quote by Alizarin:

Pages (262): « first ... « previous 254 255 [256] 257 258 next » ... last »« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » The Jerkstore  » Prognosis Negative - Polls  » Dottle 2021 politics: Pestilence showed up, which little horseman is next