What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » The Underrated Games Forum  » The Way» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Way
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
02-08-2014 11:07 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Wacky RPG Maker game series. Bloody too.

Crestfallen Studios - The Way

FAQ for Hol and I attached.
02-17-2014 3:55 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

The only downside of this game, is that it irritates my syndrome to the maxxxx, and I constantly hear this song in my head:

Fastball - The Way oficial channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3EMWd1XsvVhf3hn2f4LguQ

I hate this song, so much. I completely forgot about it until the game came along. I hate my brain sometimes, it gets really bad with certain stuff.

Brad: No. You don't understand. I've been dead for 35 years. Today is the day I live.

02-17-2014 4:25 PMIron Savior is offline Send an Email to Iron Savior Search for Posts by Iron Savior Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I played this a long time ago. It's pretty neat, but it has a big issue with consistency of mechanics. Once you're a few episodes in there's a ton of disjointed gameplay styles. The game has a lot of good high points, but also some sloggy low points. I guess the lows help give gravity to the highs, but certain points just suck.

When you get to a big, green meadow, you've hit what I felt was one of the highest points of the series.

Peer Gunt - Fuck the Jazz

02-17-2014 4:45 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

You mean the sword battles (plunge)? It's not that bad once you actually figure out it's just rock paper scissors...with special "techs" in Chrono terms. Or do you mean the minigames?

The only low point for X seemingly was the forest in ep 6. It was annoying him because he was missing treasure chests, but eventually he just used the FAQ. Also, joyfully, there's some "perfect" saves for neurotics who need to get every item.

I liked a lot of points. The letter to Alan was fucking hilarious. Lilah came outta nowhere. Slade. I aint spoilin' shit though.

Brad: No. You don't understand. I've been dead for 35 years. Today is the day I live.

02-17-2014 5:03 PMIron Savior is offline Send an Email to Iron Savior Search for Posts by Iron Savior Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

The one part that made me seriousky angry was the part where you're lost in the depths or whatever they called it, and you're just in an infinitely scrolling map in all directions until you walk through every little point, and THEN it decides to continue into "Oh noes, I'm lost!"

I liked the plunge stuff, once you actually knew what the fuck any of it meant, but most of the time when they threw a plunge battle at you, it was something you had to lose, or so easy you could easily beat it with all wrong attacks. There were like... one, maybe two plunges that were an interesting battle, but plunges overall were so scarce I didn't care about it all that much.

I was... well, both intrigued and annoyed by the way they did the generic RPG battles. I don't totally remember it, but there was this whole thing where like, you got upgrades as items, and you had to use them on your weapon and then do a certain amount of battles to make it work, I think? That struck me as a kind of an annoying way to do powering up your character. And from episode to episode, they almost always changed the text of battle messages, and I think one of the episodes was like "<name> Attack <name>" "<name> - <damage> HP" or something, and it was really shitty.

At one of the episodes, it seemed like they decided "Huh, the player isn't getting as strong as we want them to be, time to put like a billion upgrade items in everywhere"

I mean, I definitely still liked the games, but that was the stuff that kinda bothered me.

Peer Gunt - Fuck the Jazz

02-17-2014 5:34 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

There's ton of plunges in the 6th ep, they're hidden though. The first...5? in the game are unwinnable, just to get you used to the system.

We're gonna have to disagree on the notch system. It's way less annoying than grinding--I found it great you can avoid tedious battling if you have no stones for the sword to absorb, or auras that need leveling. You can just walk past the enemies and move on with the story (or flee from them, it's almost guaranteed flee every time)

The "billion upgrades" is in the 6th ep, and is most likely for those who missed things here and there (honestly the game would be pretty hard if you miss a lot of stones). Since it's in the 6th ep, it doesn't really matter.

05-20-2018 12:03 AMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I've got a friend on social media that has a huge nostalgia boner for The Way lol, it pretty much defined a lot of his tastes in games I think.

I need to get back to it and maybe eventually pick up that commercial game the guy worked on, Shadows of Adam or something.
05-21-2018 1:12 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Is this like one of those gimmicks where it becomes "dark" suddenly, like that derka derka literature club or whatever or undertale where "OH SNAP YOU WERE EVIL FOR KILLING THE ENEMIES".

That seems to be a gimmick lately.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

06-04-2018 2:43 AMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Nah, even if it did it way predates those. I hate that trend at this point, ugh. (i just saw this)
06-04-2018 2:47 AMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

What, how do you go from the Way to Shadows of Adam???
06-04-2018 2:47 AMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I haven't played Shadows of Adam yet or watched any youtubes of it so I really don't know.
06-28-2018 12:01 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Windom Earle:
Is this like one of those gimmicks where it becomes "dark" suddenly, like that derka derka literature club or whatever or undertale where "OH SNAP YOU WERE EVIL FOR KILLING THE ENEMIES".

No you stupid FUCKER

The Way starts off DARK like those SHITTY SILENT HILL GAMES that PUSSIES play

07-01-2018 8:51 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Struggler:
Quote by Windom Earle:

No you stupid FUCKER

The Way starts off DARK like those SHITTY SILENT HILL GAMES that PUSSIES play

What I meant was indie garbage like undertale or that durka durka jap one where you have to die or fail it as the true ending "because it's a commentary" seem like lazy writing.

Silent Hill 2 did a suicide ending that was totally organic to the writing in 2001, just saying.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

07-03-2018 12:30 AMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Indie games can be good, but it's one in a thousand chance.
07-03-2018 4:36 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Well, yeah. Indie anything is like that. Acting outside of a system is fine...just, sometimes you get david lynch and sometimes you get birdemic.

Quote by Alizarin:

07-03-2018 5:44 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

You know what also sounds stupid, "spec ops: the line".

Like I was ranting about how its a gimmick to go "you're bad for playing this". Apparently that forces you to do something and then its "DO YOU GET IT?! HUH??"

"Subverting expectations" is not a valid thing unless you're, like, actually subverting them. You can't just drop that in there and claim its subversion but never actually expand on it in some kind of interesting way.

Like. My issue is that it seems like lazy writing. Ginning up "It's about something" is my problem with a lot of the indie games I hear about. The notion of "if I claim this is deep, or a thinkpiece says it is, that makes it a subversive or satirical critique". No, you can't just throw that in there along the way.

It's like the equivalent of "It was all a dream" when I hear about some of these. Which is lazy unless you're ambrose bierce or if you did something interesting with the twist.

Quote by Alizarin:

Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » The Underrated Games Forum  » The Way