What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » The Jerkstore  » They're masterworks, all. You can't go wrong.  » The Truth About Gettysburg» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Truth About Gettysburg
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
08-15-2017 7:13 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I am going to edit this later. I SHOULD MAKE IT A BLOG POST. THERE'S SOME STUPID SITE THAT LETS YOU GET MONEY FOR CLICKS OR SOMETHING. whatever I'll look into it later

Anyways, main topics I will broach

- The big one happening now, especially since a statue was pulled down by antifa types in North Carolina: monuments and their significance, aka society is full of morons

- There's too many churches in this god damned town

- Gettysburg College is most likely run by an oldschool evil villain that has diamond encrusted rings on each finger

- Tourists are the worst (sometimes)

- The amazing amount of endangered wildlife roaming the fed-owned land

- Cannons. Just cannons

- The plague of "ghost tours"

Sharp: "It suggests to me he's not a political guy, something is going on" well then you're an idiot wolf blitzer

08-17-2017 2:09 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Don't call them "antifa" anymore. it dignifies their fanfiction conception of reality, they fucking act like fascists and wear black shirts..I was wrong maybe for saying brownshirts. The ones under Musselini had the black shirts. And this is what they seem to like cosplaying as because its 'anarcho-syndicalist'. Because its supposed to represent anarchy but it looks like...oh fuck this, I give up trying to impose coherence on these fucks.

Let's just put them and the white supremacists into some kinda stadium and let the rotten cocksuckers murder each other while we place bets. That's all either group is worth, at best.

Also they can't hit federal land, the NPS pretty much explicitly said "No" preemptively.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

08-17-2017 7:29 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Are the churches at least pretty
08-21-2017 5:32 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Alabastard:
Are the churches at least pretty

As with anything it depends on the church but I'd say yes.

What you need to remember is that back in the...like '70s or so, a couple of the interiors burned. I think I've heard from a lifer (I mean, resident) that maybe it was an arsonist or fire-bug.

So you might not be seeing the 100% original interiors. The one I can speak to most from experience is the memorial episocpalian church. That still has the original tower with the memorial stones and all, the catholic church of course has its stained glass windows commemorating a nearby order of nuns who aided the wounded immediately afterwords when it was still being used as a hospital.

...And actually I have only been to the interior of those two.

The "too many churches" thing is really it can't be taxed. Now couple that with the college (them gobbling up stuff is arguably more the problem, also they did stuff to what I would say should be part of the battlefield but technically isn't because they own it and its just some soccer field I rarely ever see used) not being taxed, and the fact...well obviously anything owned by the NPS is not gonna be taxed.

So they gotta get the money from somewhere. Which means like let's ramp up the parking fees or impose more on people or whatever.

And the parking meter fee thing is like...you wanna do that in a town where tourism is like probably your main industry. And I'm being charitable by saying probably. Mull over how people being worried over parking might screw you over economically when you want people there, just mull this over for five seconds and you'll likely arrive at the conclusion "this is counter-productive".

And if you arrive at that obvious conclusion, you're over-qualified for local government since they apparently can't puzzle that out.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

08-22-2017 11:56 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Oh this is what I was thinking for a quote on the civil war rock, the one listing the casualties as a reminder of "Something happened here, stop painting shitty rocks with emojis and random words and leaving them around"

Quote by Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, 1889:
“In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays. Forms change and pass; bodies disappear; but spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision-place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to see where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! the shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into their souls.”.

Obviously not the full speech (edited post to get the full quote in there..cause god damn, that's beautiful, powerful stuff), cause..well yeah, speech is too long. Probably woulda just been the in great deeds, on great fields part.

You can tell he was a professor of rhetoric prior to the war just from that, yeah. Dude had a way with words.

edit: I was sliiightly off. It was the dedication of the state monuments for Maine and not JUST the 20th maine monument...and that's just part of the speech, but whatever that's the bit that was being discussed.

Yes I did just spend a couple of minutes looking up the exact provenance of the quote to correct if it was dedicating one monument or several. Because of fucking course.

Quote by Alizarin:

08-22-2017 3:46 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
- The big one happening now, especially since a statue was pulled down by antifa types in North Carolina: monuments and their significance, aka society is full of morons

Taking down statues will only give the white supremacists reason to grow in number. Moving them is appropriate, relocation is appropriate. But taking them down in the cloak of night in a hush-hush manner reeks of what the white supremacists themselves stand for.

The monuments in Gburg were paid for by descendants, friends, and just regular people, who wanted to put up a monument of remembrance. It's not repeated enough that thousands upon thousands died there, and no matter what side they were on, they made a sacrifice. It's part of history, and there need be no "context" on these monuments except for fact, involving how many men were lost, or how many rounds were fired.

Are we as a society so stupid that we need "context" on history, now?

The context is also not "it was about slavery" as so many Durrrr... articles I've seen recently have said. PART of it was slavery but there's so much more than that.

Sharp: "It suggests to me he's not a political guy, something is going on" well then you're an idiot wolf blitzer

08-24-2017 4:01 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Struggler:
Are we as a society so stupid that we need "context" on history, now?

The context is also not "it was about slavery" as so many Durrrr... articles I've seen recently have said. PART of it was slavery but there's so much more than that.

Anyone who tells you the war was 110% purely an issue of "everybody on both sides was either an abolitionist or pro slavery" is wrong and trying to reframe things for convenience, and anybody who says slavery was a non issue is equally wrong and trying to contort it..usually for a racial purpose.

As with most things, there is a larger context and a lot of grey areas. The dichotomy between abolition and anti-abolition was a major factor but even within the northern states you didn't see this collectively declared as a primary focus for a while.

In fact...you remember that simpsons episode where Apu is taking the citizenship test and begins describing the underlying causes of the war, and the Procter just goes "Whoa, whoa, just say slavery". Yeah that's pretty much what you've got now. People saying slavery had nothing to do with it, people saying slavery was all of it.

We're not even getting into why a number of the soldiers joined the war. And I mean your average infantryman or whatever. Not everybody is a product of broadly defined causes or ideology. And one constant in pretty much any army, your basic soldier is fighting for the person next to them instead of the cause of the conflict.

All of this is to focus on the north carolina monument that was attacked, which represented a generic infantry soldier. If you know history and have an understanding of your average soldier..arguably in any war, particularly any involving a draft...the average person on the ground is not fighting for "the cause" even. They are fighting for the person next to them.

This particularly, I would argue, is applicable to the civil war. Most people, both in the union and confederate forces, were fighting mostly because they were standing side by side with people they had known for all their lives. There was no internet, you had the telegraph as the closest thing to mass communication, your average person was not...you know...thinking on these broad terms the way we might be.

The problem is that people are trying to impose their experiences from the 20th/21st century onto the late 1860s. And you can't do that.

White supremacists try that claiming the battle flag is some symbol of..whatever, and this obsession with destroying monuments is like the mirror image.

TL;DR People on both sides of the civil war are just like us. You can't put all the people from the leadup, through the war, through reconstruction, into neat little boxes. They were human beings..fallible, complicated, influenced by a variety of factors, and capable of the best and worst things.

We're not inherently better. I know it's fashionable to try and pretend the past is like some archaic other species, and "you're special". But they are us. We need to learn from our antecedents..their strengths and failings.

Or we will repeat the failings, but worse. Remakes usually suck.

Quote by Alizarin:

08-24-2017 9:21 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Struggler:
Quote:

Taking down statues will only give the white supremacists reason to grow in number. Moving them is appropriate, relocation is appropriate. But taking them down in the cloak of night in a hush-hush manner reeks of what the white supremacists themselves stand for.

This is the scariest part. Even beyond the distasteful tearing down of things. That it might empower some very sickening people.

White supremacists and neo-nazis and milita types thrive on the concept of being 'oppressed'. This will only fuel the delusion.

It's exactly how they recruit. Tearing things down plays into their hands and creates more. Ceding the battle flag as a symbol just benefits their warped interpretation.

We have suffered enough. Don't enable them. Don't let them think they are resisting or fighting...just treat them like the pathetic cretins they are. Nothing except the damn swastika is their symbol..because they are pathetic and that fallen thing is all they deserve.

Quote by Alizarin:

08-26-2017 11:29 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Gettysburg college.

They have bought several historical buildings and made them into dorms. They bought the Majestic Theater in a poor attempt to look like they care, when in reality they just play a lot of movies that fit into the college's agenda. I honestly don't know why they decided to buy up a historical theater.

They also bought up some battlefield land and put a soccer field on it, in the greatest disregard of the dead. There's rumors that they also don't pay taxes, which leads into the "there's too many churches" thing.

08-26-2017 3:09 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I've seen what the Majestic looked like prior to it being purchased. When I first heard it was under new ownership I actually thought "well, it actually could use some restorative work I suppose"

Long story short, I'd argue it's a very mixed bag at best. They also apparently have a stage for live performances, but from what I've heard it's too small to really accommodate stuff? I think it used to be four screens and now its down to....I wanna say two...

I mean, I guess it was neat seeing treasure of the sierra madre in an actual theater. Also maltese falcon...they've done "it's a wonderful life"...couple of other things. So not a TOTAL loss..

Now, the tax thing....that is really just perplexing and I've heard contradictory things about it.

The answer to why they bought it is probably "because they could". I've always had the lingering suspicion that explains several things regarding purchases of buildings or land.

edit: Now. The infamous soccer field. Or I call it infamous. In all honesty I'm not sure if they purchased that, or if they owned that parcel of land prior to the establishment of the national military park.

Quote by Alizarin:

07-20-2018 4:43 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Before the Majestic was renovated, college only paid taxes on things they bought in last ten years

Also a bunch of rich white college students demand an anti-islamist not speak at Gburg college

07-20-2018 4:57 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Please read this to learn the truth as to why Trump was elected

07-20-2018 5:01 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

lol retards

Welcome to modern college, kids! Address nothing actually important!
07-21-2018 1:06 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

You know the students are "baby can't handle their first drink".

I hear them stumbling back from the bars. Cause they go riiight past my bedroom.

I've heard drunken ramblings ranging from "WHEEEEE I'M HAMMERED" to "THAT BITCH" to the point I drown it out with headphones.

Oh and have I mentioned it's their fault sorta with the taxes. Obviously a lot of land is owned by the NPS. But the college keeps buying stuff..and here's the weird part. They aren't a state school. But they don't really pay taxes. They somehow, apparently, can just go "well here's what we owe".

Nobody has fully explained to me how they can keep doing this with the taxes. Because they aren't part of the Pennsylvania state school system..so this seems very illegal. As far as I can tell everybody just ignores it because they are "historic" (well so is most of the town) or people are afraid to confront them because they have power

It's the fear thing, I'm sure.

Like you know what'd happen if you criticized them. "You hate education", they would destroy you on every level, nobody in this town could win an election if they had an oligarchy turning the guns on them.

And it's difficult enough to get elected unless you are being re-elected or are related to someone. You wanna know how I operate in local elections? "Vote against the incumbent, or anybody with the surname of the incumbent". You laugh, but there's a reason.

Quote by Alizarin:

07-30-2018 11:52 AMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

heh
08-02-2018 1:55 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Alabastard:
heh

Oh you probably shouldn't laugh as long as Warren Wilhelm Jr* de Blasio is turning your once great and historic city into a weird and probably dangerous social experiment.

*Ooops. It doesn't like being called by its true name.

Quote by Alizarin:

Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » The Jerkstore  » They're masterworks, all. You can't go wrong.  » The Truth About Gettysburg