What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Coffee Table Book - Writings  » What Are You Trying To Read Right Now?» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (91): « first ... « previous 89 90 [91] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What Are You Trying To Read Right Now?
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
11-14-2017 2:22 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

What I've never quite figured out is if he's, like, actually into that shit or if he just finds it interesting.

Or maybe there's another interview that you saw.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

11-14-2017 9:53 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

It was on Reddit. I would assume he's "into it" or at least the aspect of it.

Believing it I dunno

Necro: holy SHIT, sharp was on ritalin? that explains alot

01-01-2018 7:26 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Speaking of...

I'm not that far into it. But "Yeats's Ghosts: The Secret Life of W.B. Yeats"

Boy oh boy was that dude into the whole spiritualism movement. Big time.

(A little help, for Millenials: William Butler Yeats was an Irish poet who you probably didn't learn about in school because your teacher was a moron and you are illiterate. You probably heard of in a thinkpiece, because apparently brexit and trump winning caused people to quote the poem "the second coming" a lot.

Dottlers will know him because I never shut the hell up about how he's the best poet ever and the second coming is like my favorite thing)

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

07-03-2018 12:41 AMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I'm 4 books into Dresden Files right now. Reading slowly because I miss my e-ink Kindle and had to switch to my HDX for e-reading where I get distracted by bad mobile games.
07-03-2018 12:26 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I've heard of that series, isn't it about like some private investigator and there's paranormal shit.

Wonder if it's anything like the repairman jack novels, or that series, aka "the adversary cycle" or "nightworld cycle"

Those were pretty great.

Quote by Alizarin:

07-04-2018 6:54 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

The only poets I were ever told about were poe and Frost

07-05-2018 2:05 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Struggler:
The only poets I were ever told about were poe and Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could

So just didn't read the rest of the Frost poem. *Slide whistle*

Quote by Alizarin:

07-05-2018 6:40 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

what

07-06-2018 1:55 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

It was a knock against robert frost.

Quote by Alizarin:

07-06-2018 8:13 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Oh.

OK.

I'm gonna try and finish Roadside Picnic

07-06-2018 3:43 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Struggler:
Oh.

OK.

It's usually a knock against American poets. Poe is one of the only ones I can stand.

Quote by Alizarin:

09-22-2018 8:46 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Red Cloud at Dawn: Truman, Stalin, and the End of the Atomic Monopoly

It's pretty much focused on the specific period between Trinity and the use of the bombs, and the first Soviet test of First Lightning/Joe-1/whatever you wanna call the first nuke the soviets detonated. And the whole brief period where the U.S. was the only nuclear power.

I didn't get that far into it so far but it's interesting so far. Like, apparently the idea of "we'll (the allied powers) maintain control over this by just blocking off access to information on research through self-censorship in terms of what's published in scientific journals" actually ended up tipping off the Soviets.

Like the general idea was, roughly speaking, "if they don't know it, they can't build one" which worked with the nazis because they never got their program off the ground for a multitude of reasons this book isn't really trying to cover..it does a little, a lot of their scientists got the hell out when hitler took power, fearing they would be used to create one..But the soviets actually began figuring stuff out through omission at first. Like during ww2 this one specific place producing equipment was bombed by the allies, and from that they started to piece together "Okay so this was producing or housing x y and z components...those are clearly important."

It also goes into sort of the why of our nuclear strategy at least during the cold war. Following the fall of the axis powers we demilitarized a little, the soviet's didn't. So there was an argument that control and possession of the bomb would be a deterrent in the event of a conflict with the red army, because conventionally..or at least numerically...wouldn't work out. But we had the bomb, we had the scientists. Which led into an argument of "if we keep this too secret, they'll catch on" versus "if we give an inch they'll build one". And this is when it was really fucking expensive and difficult to produce these things.

So, like, so far it goes into all that high level geopolitical multifaceted type of stuff.

Or at least that's what I gathered so far. TL;DR it's a neat book.

Quote by Alizarin:

11-17-2018 11:35 PMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I was going to start the Wheel of Time series because why the fuck not but the fucking fucker who checked it out still hasn't returned it and I've had it on reserve for weeks.

So I guess it's back to Dresden Files.
12-08-2018 1:17 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Bonesy:
So I guess it's back to Dresden Files.

I haven't read those, but it's about like a detective dealing with paranormal stuff?

You might enjoy the Repaiman Jack novels by F. Paul Wilson then.

Quote by Alizarin:

Pages (91): « first ... « previous 89 90 [91] « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Coffee Table Book - Writings  » What Are You Trying To Read Right Now?