What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Triangle Guy - Art  » The Television Vanishes» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (292): « first ... « previous 290 291 [292] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Television Vanishes
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
09-13-2018 6:06 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

So I finally watched what might be the actual last episode of x files, from the newest one. Since it's apparently the 25th anniversary of it starting.

Yeah this shoulda just ended with the second movie probably.

It was garbage, an annoying kid that is...something, alien hybrid that the smoking man implanted into scully. Because contrails and joel mchale as alex jones exposing a conspiracy (but not aliens taking over, the aliens gave up cause climate change and now the conspiracy is to go into space after killing the planet? Or something? This shit was convoluted enough when it was still hybrids and the black oil.)

And then they just had a bunch of "see its contemporary references" with trump or fbi jokes or fake news the whole while.

Mulder got to finally just shoot the Smoking man repeatedly,,but he didn't even ominously smoke or reach for a morley before just getting wasted..that would have been way better. And then hugged Scully who said she was preggo with their real kid.

I just wanna ignore those last two """seasons""" they had, and focus on how cool and wacky that was to watch growing up. It was like the absolute reverse of Twin Peaks S3.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

09-13-2018 3:49 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

But wait, now that I've griped a lot about the new x files seasons I wanna talk about something I liked.

I was okay with the other one I missed. Which was sorta Assistant Director Skinner's origin story back in Vietnam seeing the effects of some mk ultra shit gone haywire, and it ties into "it never stopped" and gives some backstory about his character and fleshed out his whole dynamic with mulder and scully and why he was frequently willing to go to bat for them.

Particularly because that was sort of the ending for his character...probably, and it was a really nice "Aww, they're all best friends forever because (backstory)."

Like, maybe it's because they've been marathoning all of these the past week. But I think that was a well developed character arc, even if they didn't at first intend it...cause a lot of this show I think the writers were playing by ear...the whole going from bureaucratic "you're off the case" type to a conflicted person torn between duty to what turned out to be something darker than they believed in and their morals/values. Interesting narrative arc.

Like in his end monologue Mulder and Scully mention an accusation they held him back from career advancement, and apologize. And he essentially goes "No, thank you for your ardent fight against conspiracies, you sort of proved that what I believed in when I joined the army or the FBI is correct and that there are good people and things worth saving."

edit: Although this all ties into my hatred of the last episode and how I think they totally screwed up the antagonists. In the original series...and not this pseudo-reboot crap...the syndicate was malevolent and power hungry but at least the cigarette smoking man similarly had a character arc aside from "mwahaha power for powers sake" and was, at least in their mind, thinking they were saving humanity from extinction. Just through really horrible methods.

This is what's called writing interesting, fleshed out characters. Which somewhere along the way the showrunner and some of the writers forgot how to do. Maybe they needed Vince Gilligan to come back and help, but he's off doing stuff like breaking bad and better call saul...which have those in spades.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

09-14-2018 7:05 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Oh while I'm spoiling x-files. Remember Agent Monica Reyes? The sorta half-developed character they brought in with John Dogett and she was more the believer one?

Wonder what happened to her?

Yeah for...sort of no reason she just aligns with the amorphous plan the cigarette smoking man has. "Yo, wanna kill half the population and take over the world?" "Sure.".

And then Skinner shoots her.

God seasons 10 and 11 were..I'm really starting to dislike them if I think about it.

Quote by Alizarin:

09-15-2018 5:11 PMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

at least bojack horseman is back????
09-18-2018 3:12 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Bonesy:
at least bojack horseman is back????

I don't have netflix, also that kinda sounds like "ha ha, they're depressed, it's deep" which is when rick and morty got boring.

Venture brothers new season is sorta neat...which did the existential stuff way earlier.

Quote by Alizarin:

09-18-2018 4:33 PMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

at least bojack horseman's worse parts of the fanbase are probably way less insufferable than the worse parts of dick and farty's fanbase
09-21-2018 10:37 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

To be fair, you have to have a high IQ to understand the depth of a show that has one basic joke and then changed its writing staff because social media got upset at the network. You see, without a fundamental grasp of "rick and morty jumped the shark and, really, was basically just what if back to the future involved doc brown being an alcoholic because it never went beyond that", without a vague awareness of the Everett interpretation of quantum mechanics or dimly remembering nihilism from a philosophy class, you can't understand the humor of discontinued fast food dipping sauce.

Everybody's seen that meme, right, about those 'spergin fans of rick and morty

Quote by Alizarin:

10-05-2018 9:31 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Venture Brothers season finale confirmed long running fan-theories and set up stuff, while also being funny. Now to wait for god knows how long till next season.

(I don't know why they let you watch this show before it's aired, for free..maybe they hate it because it's good. They have that garbage Rick and Morty, and they cancelled million dollar extreme)

Quote by Alizarin:

01-12-2019 6:30 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

"Project Blue Book"

Yeah they weren't kidding when they said "based on historical events"/stuff J. Allen Hynek said, cause already we've got some ominous little girls voice reading a numbers station and implications of brainwashing.

When I saw Harley Peyton was an executive producer I sorta went "Oh okay, sure". Because he was a writer/producer on I think season 2 of twin peaks and more recently channel zero. I like both those things, although twin peaks wasn't mostly him obviously. And so far this seemed okay.

The incident depicted in the first episode renamed the guy supposedly involved to an author of ufo books, so it looks like they're sorta throwing in a bunch of winking nods maybe. That's cute, I guess.

Quote by Alizarin:

02-11-2019 1:17 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Watership Down

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:
Necro: Pfft. You're a useless waste of oxygen.

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
Political Correctness Needs to Stop
08/27/2015

04-10-2019 11:32 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

"What we do in the shadows"

I haven't seen the movie it was based on, but one of the people in it was in the show "garth marenghi's darkplace" which was good.

In one of the episodes the vampires (it's a mockumentary about vampires living on staten island) try manipulating the local town council because their ancient master had said "take over the new world", and it leads to one of the councilmen in an open meeting getting forcefully dragged out by the cops while howling about a coming darkness and his new masters. But nobody cares.

I liked how during that scene it'd cut to what looked like a public access camera feed and someone is just yelling "You are VERY out of order" while the guy is ranting about how he'll tear entrails out and hang them "on that traffic light at the corner, so they will know those who serve receive mercy". That was kinda funny...the shot even kinda cuts so it looks like a local access feed.

Quote by Alizarin:

05-09-2019 3:58 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Killing Eve is a neat show, I should go watch more than a couple of episodes sporadically of it.

It...no, no no I was gonna say it reminds me of hannibal in the dark comedy sense. But nothing would meet how greatly filmed and acted as that. (That was a brilliant show and I miss it)

Villainelle or whatever assassin lady characters name is seems baller, the actress is neat, and their weird obsession with the person hunting them reminded me vaguely of lecter and graham.

Conceptually it just was sorta...closest thing I could think of. But I've only seen a couple episodes.

Quote by Alizarin:

05-10-2019 1:47 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

always sunny season 13

i'm starting to wonder if theres something up with me, i really didnt care for this season for the most part. the range rover episode was the only real standout, and i did enjoy how they tried to make it look like Dee caused the Eagles to beat the Patriots in the super bowl by infecting bradys eye

but as a complete package this is probably my least favorite season and definitely since frank joined the show

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:
Necro: Pfft. You're a useless waste of oxygen.

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
Political Correctness Needs to Stop
08/27/2015

05-14-2019 9:10 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by The Greatest of All Time:
always sunny season 13

i'm starting to wonder if theres something up with me, i really didnt care for this season for the most part. the range rover episode was the only real standout, and i did enjoy how they tried to make it look like Dee caused the Eagles to beat the Patriots in the super bowl by infecting bradys eye

but as a complete package this is probably my least favorite season and definitely since frank joined the show

It's not just you. Every episode seemed to be some gimmick self-referential "remember this one" deal or something. It was the weakest one.

The "Dee fucked up the superbowl" one was kinda funny...although maybe we just all wish that's why the stupid fucking eagles won cause goddammit. How could the patriots lose to this trash. It's almost as bad as the fucking red sox beating the yankees...almost.

I think maybe they should just end it after the next season..or I guess they're attached for at least one. Everybody involved seems to be moving on to other stuff.

Quote by Alizarin:

05-21-2019 10:41 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

"Legion" is getting the final season next month

If you liked Hannibal getting wacky and visually gorgeous, or Twin Peaks season 3 (but nothing will ever accomplish that, that was just the best, that was art.)

Legion is the only show I can think of that's even close in terms of you just wanna see what they do.

edit: I just referenced Hannibal again, I know. But I was talking about a different aspect of it, so it's okay.

Quote by Alizarin:

Yesterday, 11:29 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

One other thing I just realized, in the legion trailer the main/title character is saying "I help people"..obviously leading a cult.

In the last season he was saying "I'm a good person, I deserve love"

They did say this was supposed to be a tragedy, and it's nominally based off a comic book. I think this is a bad guy origin maybe.

Quote by Alizarin:

Pages (292): « first ... « previous 290 291 [292] « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Triangle Guy - Art  » The Television Vanishes