What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Triangle Guy - Art  » What movie(s) did you recently watch?» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (325): « first ... « previous 323 324 [325] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What movie(s) did you recently watch?
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
04-21-2019 2:01 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I haven't seen either of the remakes

Also I wouldn't necessarily call total recall "subtle"....then again I wouldn't call robocop "subtle"....then again I don't really think paul verhoven has ever been particularly subtle. Frankly I'm not an enormous fan of his work. Robocop and Total Recall are pretty much the only movies of his I would say I like, and I don't think it's because of him. (I'll stop, because this could become just a thing about how I think verhoven is overrated and starship troopers particularly was a puerile attempt at satire)

I think the reason the remakes are so hated is...part of it is probably nostalgia. Which is obviously complete bullshit as a reason. The robocop one I just ignored cause it looked like it'd be "GET IT, BECAUSE DRONES ARE BAD" and..yeah, I get it, robocop was social commentary to some extent and now this is supposed to be social commentary. But I'm kinda pro-drone strikes, so I'm not buying a ticket for that shit.

The total recall one I didn't see cause the trailer just...didn't look good?

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

04-21-2019 4:14 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Subtle is the wrong word but I’m lazy when I type on my phone - a more accurate word would have been ambiguous. The Verhoven version of Total Recall leaves it up to the audience to decide if the events of the movie actually happened, which is one of the movies strengths. The remake suggests a lot less ambiguity, making it seem as though the events did occur and Quaid is actually Hauser. But there are some hints so I guess you’d say it’s more subtle, but to the point where you could almost argue it isn’t there.

So in that sense it’s kinda missing the point, which I can appreciate since I don’t think the events of in Total Recall were anything more than the vacation Quaid had implanted inside himself. But I still liked the remake - even if it departed from the Martian setting, the visuals were good and the story is still Total Recall. If I enjoyed the Philip K Dick inspired story the first time I have no reason to not enjoy it a second time, even if outside world building it offers nothing new

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:
Necro: Pfft. You're a useless waste of oxygen.

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
Political Correctness Needs to Stop
08/27/2015

04-21-2019 7:42 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Ohhh, subtle in that sense of the ambiguity regarding the reality/implanted memories.

My bad. I get what you mean.

edit: If nothing else, the original Total Recall indirectly produced an astronaut doing this

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

04-25-2019 6:48 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

The Hangover Part 3 was on

They really should have stopped at the first one (or really, comedy sequels never seem to work out well)

That's still kinda a...not great movie, it turns into some weird deal where john goodman is a criminal boss and they have to undergo an ordeal based on one line in the first, and the central premise of the characters having to puzzle out what happened isn't really there.

But it's more watchable than the 2nd one which was just a direct retread and was like "No, don't, lightning doesn't strike twice".

Quote by Alizarin:

05-01-2019 5:28 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Stabbed in the heart by Sharp's opinion on starship troopers

Moose: I wonder how many trannies were created from Chun-Li players losing to Guile.

05-03-2019 3:04 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

License to Kill was bad (Dalton wasn't a bad Bond though)

One thing I never noticed though is a young benecio del toro is a henchman of the bad guy

Quote by Struggler:
Stabbed in the heart by Sharp's opinion on starship troopers

It's more I find it overrated cause, particularly lately, people go "NO PEOPLE DIDN'T GET IT. IT'S SATIRE!". No the problem is it's terrible at being satire. Lemme talk about another hammer you over the head satirical movie he did.

Robocop was better. In robocop you're not rooting for OCP or the criminal syndicate. You're rooting for the person in the suit and his partner and everybody caught in the middle of that dystopian tug of war.

Starship troopers is "humans are all militant fascists, other side are extraterrestrial insect things. OH DID YOU ROOT FOR HUMANS? NYAHAHAHA". Well there was no goddamn reason to root for the bug aliens, the humans by default seemed like good guys.

I get it, Verhoven apparently hated the novel it was loosely based on and thought he'd "subvert" it to be about fascism...which actually is a debate about the novel seemingly and how you define fascism. But it's really not deep or anything.

Hell, Total Recall did the idea of the aliens being victims better.

TL;DR starship troopers isn't my favorite Verhoven 'sci fi' movie, no. Sorry but not sorry QUAIIID...START THE REACTOR...

Quote by Alizarin:

05-08-2019 3:20 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Avengers Endgame

Nah I didn’t like it

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

05-09-2019 2:01 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Speaking of "let's put massive amounts of characters into a movie". They were repeating the expendables movies (mostly 2 and 3, for whatever reason) and I heard there will be a 4th one...last one...and go back to no cgi blood.

Quote by Alizarin:

05-09-2019 2:12 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by The Greatest of All Time:
Avengers Endgame

Nah I didn’t like it

Yeah I hear either "it's the best they could tie those up, and might be enjoyable", but that's usually from fans of the movies, or it's just setting up whatever the studio's next interminably long series of movies will be.

So, you saw it and I trust your judgment with these. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being "If you sort of enjoyed some of these on tv, it's a nice bow on the package" and 10 being "captain deus ex marvel and whoever is contracted for the next sixty movies just save the day" where would it be ranked.

Also wasn't it like..way longer than necessary.

Quote by Alizarin:

05-10-2019 2:08 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

i need more time to digest it, but its not an outright bad movie. since seeing it i've discussed it with other people who have seen it and there's lots of scenes i actually really enjoyed. the movie got overhyped to me and so many people full of excitement told me it was the best avengers movie - which, it isnt, that title belongs to the first one

the movie had an impossible task of attempting to be the conclusion to 20+ movies, which in regular hollywood series even the final installments in a trilogy usually have difficulty wrapping up narrative threads, and this one is attempting to bring closure to a massive scale of movies. it definitely works as entertainment, but the plot is extremely convoluted and attempts to have its cake and eat it too. not sure if i should avoid spoilers so i'll proceed with caution and not mention any specifics, but it summons an absolute deus ex machina to restore the damage thanos inflicted from infinity war but also attempts to establish clear irreversible consequences.

the movie also completely ignores the rules it establishes within itself with its ending which left me feeling frustrated. it's also a slog for the first hour or so, because its so concerned with trying to establish what will later become closure for some specific MCU characters. i think it was an ill thought out idea and from a narrative standpoint, would have been better to gradually give closure to characters here and there throughout the movies instead of doing it all at once

a number rating out of ten, i'm not sure i understand your criteria because 10 is usually the best number and your description of 10 sounds like a negative, but i will confirm that it's the old guard who do the heavy lifting in the movie, not newer additions to the mcu like captain marvel (she actually does so little i dont know why shes there).

if we're going to run with with a traditional score out of 10 with 10 being the highest i'd give it 7/10. it's entertaining and has good action sequences, but the plot is bloated inconsistent mess. chris helmsworth steals a lot of scenes as a fat, alcoholic thor and the movie would be a lot of good fun if it was condensed, provided you dont think too much about it

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

05-14-2019 9:05 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I dunno where I was going with that scale either.

It sounds like it was a solid enough capstone to what they were setting up with the bajillion other movies half of which I didn't see. So it's probably...fine. All of their movies seem fine.

Better than you can say for star wars lately.

Quote by Alizarin:

05-15-2019 2:23 AMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

i watched the entirety of endgame without needing to pee, do i earn the right to write an in-depth thinkpiece
05-15-2019 10:46 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Bonesy:
i watched the entirety of endgame without needing to pee, do i earn the right to write an in-depth thinkpiece

No, disney is now writing a script about this.

There will be a mid-credit sequence in Captain Marvel 4: Avengers part 7, where the raccoon from guardians of the galaxy opens the door to the restroom for you (as a dog voiced by the rock) and goes "Yo dog I heard you like toilets", cause reference. And this sets up Avengers 76: Secret wars of the spider man clone saga.

Which will be released after 30 other movies. And those will have brief little scenes that tie all of this together, sometimes in the credits. Which will now have four scenes.

Somehow this will all be more coherent and well received than the superman and batman movies.

Quote by Alizarin:

05-16-2019 11:21 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Half-watching "Battle: Los Angeles"

It's not good, and also it's sorta false advertising. It's not this. It's...a war movie with soldiers fighting like alien mechs?

(No it wasn't a UFO in 1942. Kecksburg, PA was 1965 and the explanations don't add up)

Quote by Alizarin:

05-17-2019 6:42 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

A .45 would probably be the best handgun to get, but they keep showing bond movies and you kinda want a walther ppk.

Quote by Alizarin:

05-20-2019 3:11 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

maltese falcon

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

05-22-2019 1:27 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by The Greatest of All Time:
maltese falcon

Awesome

That movie kinda is "The stuff that dreams are made of". Except not...because the dream comes true.

Quote by Alizarin:

Yesterday, 7:36 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Under the silver lake

Remember Hitchcock? Do you?! Here's his musical cues, matte paintings, and weird visual effects

Like David Lynch? Here's...a horrible attempt at trying to be like David Lynch

You know that Hollywood molests and RAEPs women?! Here's a reminder every two minutes

Gamer manchildren are very bad. So we're making the protagonist one!

...oh shit this is an A24 movie. Tack on a weird cult at the end, bam

Moose: I wonder how many trannies were created from Chun-Li players losing to Guile.

Pages (325): « first ... « previous 323 324 [325] « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Triangle Guy - Art  » What movie(s) did you recently watch?