What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Triangle Guy - Art  » What movie(s) did you recently watch?» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (327): « first ... « previous 325 326 [327] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What movie(s) did you recently watch?
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
07-20-2019 12:39 AMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

And I'm not even a giant fan of lion king or anything.

But this "we have to edit everything so its inoffensive" deal is what gets me. Even if the intent was "this is supposed to offend you and make you root for the protagonist". And then people go "Oh well. we'll be respooonsiblee/it was another tiime/we've advaaanced and change it"

That attitude is bullshit. It's misguided censorship, it's destructive because if you forget the past you'll never learn from it. Sharpy don't play that.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

07-20-2019 6:04 AMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I saw x men: origins wolverine the other day

Terrible except for the opening credits with wolverine fighting in various wars. Wolverine in the civil war, now that'd be a better movie. (Marye's heights but one of the union army just keeps healing their wounds while everybody else is dying...okay this is turning into really dark crossover fanfic with fredricksburg)

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

08-01-2019 12:43 AMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Blown Away

Jeff Bridges plays a Boston Police bomb squad agent versus Tommy Lee Jones as a vengeful IRA radical. Spoiler alert: Jeff Bridges was a former IRA member who got freaked out by the violence and fled, and they clash in a revenge duel.

Forrest Whittaker is also in the movie playing a jackass cocky bomb squad guy who almost gets blown up by a device planeted in his headphones, Jeff Bridges and Tommy Lee Jones have the worst fake accents imaginable. Lloyd Bridges ("Mandelbaum, Mandelbaum!") attempts an Irish accent. Things blow up. And at one point Tommy Lee Jones in a mask threatens Jeff Bridges character with a doll in a video sent to his bomb squad who doesn't know his past.

It was okay, I made this sound way funnier than it is. I fell asleep near the end of it.

Quote by Alizarin:

08-07-2019 7:40 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

After Hours

Excellent! Genuine representation of new york

Sharp: If a man beating a baby seal to death with a club while an interacial orgy occurred behind him tested well with the focus groups they'd use it to sell pledge.

08-07-2019 10:47 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Struggler:
After Hours

Excellent! Genuine representation of new york

Hell fucking yes. I've always thought this was one of scorsese's more overlooked films (that, "bringing out the dead" which is...sort of similar in that it's mostly about shit happening in the night in nyc, but it's vastly different and not a comedy...and then king of comedy but I think it's less overlooked than I had thought). You don't seem to hear people mention after hours that often so I love when someone brings it up.

I should go watch that again sometime, come to think of it.

Quote by Alizarin:

08-07-2019 11:18 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Had almost a Lynch quality to it

Sharp: If a man beating a baby seal to death with a club while an interacial orgy occurred behind him tested well with the focus groups they'd use it to sell pledge.

08-09-2019 10:03 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Struggler:
Had almost a Lynch quality to it

Holy shit...I never thought of that, but....yeah, I can see that. There's a surrealistic, dreamlike, over the top aspect to it and the characters. Played more directly for laughs/satire though, obviously.

Hell. There's even a Wizard of Oz reference.

For obvious reasons I love this idea since Lynch and Scorsese are two of my all time favorite directors.

Quote by Alizarin:

08-10-2019 9:27 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

The Power of Few

This movie reminded me of that period of time where everybody was trying to rip off pulp fiction (non linear interweaving stories, fast talking criminal types, 'waaaacky' stuff. etc.). You used to see this stuff kinda lining the walls in blockbuster or whatever, to give you an impression of the general time period I mean. RLM talking about how much they hated "the item" is exactly that.

I was then surprised to realize it was made in 2013 when I thought that whole craze had long passed.

At least it has christopher walken doing his thing at one point, that's...kind of really the only redeeming thing I could say about it. Towards the end I started just fading out from paying any attention.

Quote by Alizarin:

08-10-2019 11:25 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Rodan.

The best part of waking up and getting your coffee and all is you flip on the tv and its miniature tanks and model buildings getting destroyed by like a puppet and...chroma-key I guess would be the term for the "soldiers running away, obviously composited" parts? Mixed with reaction cuts to very serious people going "We have to stop them!"

(This sounds like a joke, but it's really not cause I do like those old school ones)

Quote by Alizarin:

08-15-2019 8:46 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Escape from Alcatraz

For some reason I kept thinking a younger Harry Dean Stanton was in that, no he was not.

Quote by Alizarin:

08-16-2019 11:05 AMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

End of Days was...not a great movie. But it does have Arnold Schwarzenegger yelling "YOU'RE A FUCKING CHOIR BOY" at the Devil. so that part kinda makes it fun to watch if you stumble across it.

Quote by Alizarin:

08-16-2019 11:38 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Rodan was super cute in the new movie

08-18-2019 5:50 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I still haven't seen it. Seemed to exit theaters around here kinda fast (well we seem to only have the one, now)

The Sting.

edit: I forgot to mention something about that movie, which is considered a classic, won awards, in the national film registry.

..The guy who later wrote and directed the first "Fast and the Furious" movie and ensuing franchise started off as a script reader (sort of analyst for stuff to get dumped or passed onwards) and apparently presented that script to the producer arguing it was solid.

That's kinda a weird six degrees of separation deal, why not.

Quote by Alizarin:

08-25-2019 7:55 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Face/Off was on tv again. So repetition...

I always forget how obsessed John Woo is with certain things. a) Dual wielding pistols. B) Mexican standoffs before a gunfight where people slide around. C) Doves, doves doves, there are always doves. D) The doves are sometimes flying around during the gunfight, in a church or with some christian imagery contrasting the gunfight.

This isn't a negative comment even...all directors have certain things, it's just I forget about it till I see one of his movies. It's super prominent.

Quote by Alizarin:

08-29-2019 2:10 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

"Proud Mary"

Here's how I think the production of this probably went down.

"So we got taraji p. henson in sort of a riff on 'The Professional' and I guess she can carry that, she's been in movies that were well recieved...wait. What do you mean you also need a 'script'...or 'good direction'...or 'not making the opening credits look like it's gonna be a foxy brown blaxploitation thing but it's just a mundane vaguely passable action movie'. GET OUT OF MY OFFICE."

Quote by Alizarin:

09-12-2019 8:44 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Downton Abbey. Yeah I saw it early. It's not in like full release till later in the month.

It's probably a thing of "if you liked the show and the characters and all, here's 122 minutes of that". And I liked the show, so it worked for me the same way that deadwood movie tying up everything did...as a stand-alone thing it might not do much for people, dunno.

Not "AT-STS AT-STS, DOWAGER COUNTESS MADE A CUTTING REMARK AND I CLAAAAAPPPED" pandering, but definitely...at least the crowd I saw it with it's maybe more for people who watched the show. It was like a send-off for all the characters in the show to a degree.

...But the Dowager Countess does still make cutting/snide remarks though and maggie smith still was killing it at that.

TL;DR Trying to look objectively, I thought it was a good movie. But would I say rush out and see it if you didn't watch downton abbey. I dunno, there's a bias here.

Quote by Alizarin:

10-03-2019 11:49 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Bram Stoker's Dracula was on.

You can just skip to the end, I'm sorta on record with my opinion, so this is evangelizing.

Just the direction and set design and cinematography alone of it. I could stop there, it's gorgeous.

Everybody goes "Oh the one with keanu reeves doing a horrible attempt at a british accent" or wynona ryder's performance, and it does meander a bit around...sort of taking things from the book but altering them. I thought their acting was..fine..and the pacing was fine.

Honestly I haven't read the novel in ages..but I seem to recall they did keep the fact that it's largely comprised of letters about shit, at least in the beginning. And they keep in the idea of it being a team of people that take out dracula. So the pacing is explainable maybe.

If you wanna go for "accuracy", a lot of adaptations don't mention the texan guy with a bowie knife, which I recall was in the novel.

In terms of the acting you've got Gary motherfuckin' Oldman as dracula, and Anthony Hopkins as van helsing. So they just overshadow everybody anyway. So there's the acting complaint kinda defused.

Ebert in his review said "I enjoyed the movie simply for the way it looked and felt." and that seems an apt way of summing it up.

...I just sort of love that movie, yeah.

Quote by Alizarin:

10-06-2019 6:51 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Speaking of movies keanu reeves was in

I finally just bit the bullet and watched all of the remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" instead of just turning it off.

Quote by Alizarin:

10-15-2019 7:50 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

"Devils of Darkness"

Quote:
Author and film critic Leonard Maltin awarded the film two out of four stars, calling it "Intelligent, with great use of color, but flat, slow, and ultimately trivial.

Pretty much. That redhead lady the boring vampire goes after was in "Dr Strangelove" as the mistress of one character.

That's like the most interesting thing there is to say. Mostly it's a guy with a sword cane (he's 'Count Sinistre' ...no that's the real name) and a bunch of scenes of cultists having parties where they chain smoke and drink to jazz music, then sometimes put on red cloaks.

And then periodically people die or some stuff happens, because a talisman was recovered by the boring main character and he keeps hiding it from everybody. It's not even 90 minutes but I zoned out. So it's pretty much a vampire/evil guy masquerading as french doctor wants his bling back from someone hiding it inside a typewriter...

The critical bauble is lying there when someone dies. So he just sorta hides it from everybody except his one friend. He dies. The cult breaks in at one point for it even, the police look around. He's just like "Hmm..I shouldn't mention this at all. Go to the library and find books on the occult first. Oh one is mysteriousky gone. I'm sure I can figure this out."

Quote by Alizarin:

Pages (327): « first ... « previous 325 326 [327] « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Triangle Guy - Art  » What movie(s) did you recently watch?