What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Coffee Table Book - Writings  » What Are You Trying To Read Right Now?» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (92): « first ... « previous 90 91 [92] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What Are You Trying To Read Right Now?
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
08-22-2019 4:40 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Finished frontier cthulhu cause there was just nothing going on. Like any compilation of various authors doing short stories, some hit more than others.

One thing in the very last one, "Nigel R. Lathotep...some kind of Irish name probably" was sort of amusing.

(Everybody talks about Cthulhu. But he just lies dreaming, he's inactive...Nyarlathotep is active, he engages..)

I ̰̘͝so̙̬̩͉̻̰l̛̦͓̲ͅd̡̻͎̥̲̳ ̮̫̠̗͈̤ú̬̲̟̱̝̳s͔̬̦̯͢ ̞͔̳̝̳̣̥a͈̻̹͍̺̬l͉͍͓͙͕̱̙͜l̨̩͈͔͈̱̦̙.̱̝̥̬ ͙̥͕̥À̠r̢̥̫̘t̳͎̘ ̪̼͎͕̘̺͔o̕f͔̭͉͠ ҉t͎̥ḥ̦̻̺̪̩e̸̥̼̥̤̼̭ ̸̱̤d̞̼̘̣̦e̡͖a͖̭͇̭̩̣l̷͈̰.̜̖̱͈́ W͍̱ẹ̝̮͕̪̖͙͢ ̥̜͇͉w̧̪̬á̹̲̰̰̥z̡̤̞͕͔ ̸̙͖a̫̞͓͙̞̥̕n̢̥͎̱d̜͉̬ͅ ̰̻̘͓̝͈͚̀s̩̩h͈a̝l͈̹̜̱̼̮l̢̥̠̬ ̡̩̺͖̟̭̫b̻͎̳͖̘̻̕e̶̝̹̺̮̭ ͏̩̠̺͕̮͚̦k̸͕̙̻͚̭ḁ̖͎͖͓n͔͎̜̞͕g̲̣̪͉͉̕z͇̺̹̣̼

Probably gonna go back into the other book that distracted me "Gettysburg’s Peach Orchard: Longstreet, Sickles, and the Bloody Fight for the “Commanding Ground” Along the Emmitsburg Road"

...Yeah cosmic horror to one of the more controversial actions of the battle. Why the hell not.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

08-23-2019 3:26 AMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

4th and 5th Mistborn books by Brandon Sanderson. Well, 4th right now. Checked out the 5th because they have been checked out recently by others lol
08-23-2019 4:52 AMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Randomly cause you mentioned fantasy novel...it sounds like it. Sometime I should probably go try and read lord of the rings.

I read the hobbit first (everybody says don't do that) and then tried reading the silmarillion (apparently really don't). And then I just never cared for fantasy stuff.

Don't do what donny don't does or it'll turn you off to a genre.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

08-23-2019 10:53 AMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

well books 1-3 are pretty fantasy but book 4 is like hundreds of years later in more of an industrial revolution setting
08-23-2019 7:53 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Bonesy:
book 4 is like hundreds of years later in more of an industrial revolution setting

Oh neat, that sounds like the vidjya Arcanum.

That was such an interesting concept (magic vs technology because they were opposites in a sorta late 1800s setting, so you had fantasy stuff with elves and kinda alternate history steampunk stuff colliding). It was a neat idea, or at least sorta unique and I wish it had gotten the sequel.

Quote by Alizarin:

09-03-2019 11:01 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

"Transients and Other Disquieting Stories" cause someone gave that to me.

Short stories that are..sort of twilght zone with implications of some darker cosmic level, but not about that. Seems neat, not that far into it cause I kept having to stop reading.

IT HAPPENED AGAAAAIN?

Quote by Alizarin:

09-24-2019 2:32 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Finally finished reading Transients, because the backlog is growing.

As I said it wasn't bad, kinda noticed like every other story seemed to somehow involve like failing marriages or something then leading into weird nightmare logic twilight zone stuff, I dunno.

So back to the peach orchard....then after that, a book I managed to get a discount on and it looks very interesting from what I've glanced of it. It's about lee and jackson and sort of why/how they worked so well together.

For some reason they were gonna sell this but..some inscrutable machination then decided against this (it like, just came out), so...welp, I ended up with like one of the last copies and it's signed by the author no less.

Quote by Alizarin:

11-20-2019 12:16 AMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Darkness at Chancellorsville: A Novel of Stonewall Jackson's Triumph and Tragedy

So I didn't get much of a chance to read it today, but the prologue opens with someone at the Battle of Kelly's Ford who has had half of their jaw shot out just kind of emptying their revolver and cursing everything.

I know I've said this but Ralph Peters is just such a great author. His novels (but very heavily based in actual research) are just so fucking unsparing and dark and unpleasant, not in a stupid "dark and graphic for the sake of it" edgy way, like it doesn't go "everybody was a monster" at all, that's not what it is. But in the sense of "This is what war actually is like for the average people fighting it". And he's ex-military so he knows about how things like temperature and all can influence your general state of mind.

A lot of novels will focus more on like the commanders and all. You don't really see depictions of the people who were carrying out the orders and how they were thinking or what they experienced and how that influenced them. And it humanizes them because people are people, especially in horrifying circumstances.

Quote by Alizarin:

Pages (92): « first ... « previous 90 91 [92] « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Coffee Table Book - Writings  » What Are You Trying To Read Right Now?