What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Triangle Guy - Art  » Red Letter Median» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (15): « first ... « previous 13 14 [15] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Red Letter Median
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
09-08-2018 5:04 PMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

halfo baggo part 2
09-08-2018 6:55 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Oh that bit where they mock the tumblrina types about isle of dogs is gonna get some disapproving clucks.

Social Credit score: Negative 1997

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

12-03-2018 1:37 PMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

mike confirmed to be wizard
12-07-2018 10:41 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

SALADS FIRST, BITCHES.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

08-11-2019 1:15 AMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

All movies should just open with Cameron Mitchell in a white suit on apparently the set of "the tomb" lazily holding up a manilla file folder in one hand while smoking a cigarette and sort of ambivalently saying "These are the files of the damned, the stories of those poor depraved souls"

Citzen Kane? Late period Cameron Mitchell as the framing story.

Charlie Chaplain's film "modern times"? Lacked Cameron Mitchell.

Lost Highway? You could just edit that scene in, fuck it, it's david lynch this would sort of work.

Fast and furious movies? CGI Cameron Mitchell doing a slow mo j-turn in a heavily modified car. (Then detective low blow parks terribly)

Quote by Alizarin:

08-16-2019 11:40 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Mike is OK

But my heart belongs to Rich Evans

Mel Brooks: Everything we do in life is based on fear, especially love.

08-18-2019 5:27 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Obligatory "he's the key to all this"

Quote by Alizarin:

09-02-2019 12:50 AMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

"Aren't we supposed to be going into a recession soon"

Well not in terms of our lovely hack frauds!

Quote by Alizarin:

10-27-2019 9:25 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

"It's vague and confusing"

I see why people got angry at Jay's reaction to Joker. You supposedly love David Lynch yet you're complaining that it's confusing?

It also seems that he fetishizes Ledger Joker (a lot of people do), making me believe he dismissed the movie because of this.

Jay is Durrrr... and didn't pay attention to the movie.

Quote:
IMO Mike & Jay are the legit 21st century successors to Siskel & Ebert... and Jay certainly went full Siskel in this review: straining to nitpick things about a good movie so he can appear above mindless popular opinion. Most of time it works, because most studio films are hollow, craptastic attempts to cash in on established franchises. But in this case, this was actually a good movie and Jay is being ridiculous.

Yeah, this.

10-27-2019 5:35 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I haven't seen it yet, I sorta got the impression Jay just really doesn't care for Todd Phillips (I didn't care for the 2nd or 3rd hangover movies either but that seems a silly reason). Or he was possibly expecting it to actually be on the level of taxi driver or king of comedy, which is simply unrealistic.

That and Jay just will sometimes praise stuff that is godawful looking ("Greasy Strangler") so he's all over the map. Also until I watch it I'll not know what 'confusing' means unless he meant that thing in the third act which supposedly happens. It's immaterial though, they liked ghost story and you probably couldn't pay me to watch that.

Quote:
It also seems that he fetishizes Ledger Joker (a lot of people do)

The minute I saw the first trailer I knew this would be a mistake but people would do it, cause they're going for something verry different obviously. There's no batman in this one..I think..so it obviously couldn't be like ledger's where there's a juxtaposition or duality..I almost said subtext but it's pretty much right in the dialogue.

Quote by Alizarin:

11-13-2019 9:32 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

It's no Taxi Driver but it really is an excellent movie. Not the usual garbage.

On review the only thing that was meh was the ending. Yet I'm unsure what they could've done differently.

11-13-2019 9:53 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

In fairness, and this is a very broad statement. It's difficult to really nail an ending. And it probably becomes exponentially harder if you're dealing with something created/owned by someone else.

Adding to that. Particularly if it's a movie where you usually get signed up for at least one or two more depending on the whims of the studio and the box office. Cause then you are contractually locked in, so there's always a "there could be a sequel" thing. And this is the era where everybody wants an expanded universe or crossover or something just as a rule, so it's probably even harder to go "No I just wanna make this one movie about these characters and then it's done".

You see that with tv shows too, novels at least the author usually can say "Nope, it's done"..to my understanding.

But that's just my big picture observation. Because this seems to effect or afflict stuff. I still haven't gotten around to seeing Joker, yet, so I can't speak to that ending in particular.

Quote by Alizarin:

11-15-2019 8:44 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Struggler:
Quote:
IMO Mike & Jay are the legit 21st century successors to Siskel & Ebert... and Jay certainly went full Siskel in this review: straining to nitpick things about a good movie so he can appear above mindless popular opinion. Most of time it works, because most studio films are hollow, craptastic attempts to cash in on established franchises. But in this case, this was actually a good movie and Jay is being ridiculous.

Yeah, this.

I'm less familiar with Siskel as an independent reviewer, but people forget Ebert could get very bad about just zoning in on a single thing. Go read the blue velvet review where he like sort of white knights isabella rosselini and I believe she even said "you missed the point".

I'm not calling out any of the people mentioned here. Ebert is really one of the most brilliant writers about film, but you still look at some of them and go "Huh?"

Quote by Alizarin:

12-10-2019 8:43 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

It's the 10th anniversary of the Plinkett Star Wars review.

In the interim we've learned about so much. FIFTY NINE MINUTES. Frauds, california big hunks, survival when confronted with an edged weapon, a couple of songwriters who came to ishtar, body rap body-body rap, that one episode of star trek: next generation where it's a clip show because Riker is halucinating and then dr pulaski and troi have to snap him out of it, Tums and how to celebrate them while CLOSING THE FUCKING DOOR, what was the black goo in prometheus, and how while skosts are fascinating, rem lazar is our friend

(but rich evans died for our sins, because AIIIIIDS)

Quote by Alizarin:

02-07-2020 2:36 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

They say the milwaukee bois never talk aboit animated films. "If you love me, show me" is clearly a classic animation on par with Perfect Blue, Fantasia, Biker mice from mars.

Quote by Alizarin:

07-19-2020 8:54 PMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

does a rich evans dream turtle dreams
07-21-2020 1:12 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Alizarin:

Pages (15): « first ... « previous 13 14 [15] « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Triangle Guy - Art  » Red Letter Median