What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Coffee Table Book - Writings  » Neon Revelation Evangelion» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 next » ... last »Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Neon Revelation Evangelion
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
04-18-2003 7:07 AMChurch is offline Send an Email to Church Search for Posts by Church Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

This is the rough (read: non-final) copy of NRE's first few pages/episodes/what-have-yous. Note that because this is just a prelim of sorts, information may be wrong, characters may be slightly OOC, and certain things may be incomplete. Enjoy!(?)

NEON REVELATION EVANGELION
By Maverick Hunter Zero for No Lives Matter | Welcome
E-Mail: shinseikievangelion01@hotmail.com
GameFAQs Messageboards: "Maverick Hunter Zero"
The Darkness of the Outer Limits Messageboards: "The Cynic"
LEGAL: Neon Revelation Evangelion is totally dependant on Hideaki Anno's "Neon Genesis Evangelion," the greatest anime series ever created by GAINAX/Project Eva. The characters, titles, scenarios, and designs/logos are totally theirs and are used without permission here. I'm not trying to generate profit through this story, so FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, don't sue me.
Rated: R for intense violence, mature sexual themes, and adult language.
(omission of Episode Thirty-Two and Episode Thirty-Three for graphic sexual situations and heavy, heavy violence.)

<<FOREWORD>>
~M.H.Z.~

When I first watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, I was drawn to its fantastic mecha designs and quality drawings, nothing more, nothing less. When I got caught up in it, I realized I'd come away with much more than I had before.
I'm not going to try to explain NGE to anyone who hasn't seen it, since that's pointless. Most are skeptical, and rightfully so - anime lacks the same respect as a medium as compared to, say, a tasteful movie. However, if one keeps an open mind and lacks inhibitions, NGE is a worthwhile experience you're depriving yourself of.
Now, onto the real foreword:
I wrote NRE as an alternate ending to Evangelion, since I both loved and hated End of Evangelion at the same time. I am in no way trying to interfere with Hideaki Anno's glorious vision, but Shinji Ikari's own thoughts best reflect my opinion - there are other opportunities, other realities even, that are constantly presenting themselves to us. Therefore, I wrote NRE as a follow-up to Neon Genesis.
Now, truly hardcore fans of the series will note my loose usage of terms from Eva and also note my apparent alteration of facts. Sadly, I cannot refute this with anything but an apology. I have reenvisioned Evangelion, sadly, and not all of it stayed true to the original series. Again, this is just one person's work of fiction, not even worthy of Mr. Anno's inspection, so I'll also have to apologize again.
To those who know the series, you'll need to know beforehand that I dislike Rei Ayanami (perhaps End of Eva changed my once-great opinion of her). I was dissastisfied with Evangelion's lack of answers, and I couldn't help but try to rectify that within myself by getting it all out on my word processor; as such, Asuka Sohryu has not been phased out of this story like she usually is elsewhere...instead, she becomes a starring role like never before. To those who cannot stand Shinji and Asuka love stories, you'll need to avoid this like the plague - much of Shinji's later motivation is derived from his love of Asuka, and the pair have more than a few passionate encounters during the course of NRE.
Due to sex and violence, I've got to put warnings on here about "no one under eighteen should read this," but let's face it - if you want to bad enough, you will. So I won't try to stop you - besides, I'm under eighteen, and I wrote the damn thing.
On MMXP's messageboards, where this is also posted, I've got to omit Episodes 32 and 33 because of a graphic sex scene with Shinji and Asuka. Apologies.
And, finally, if popularity demands it, I will continue writing fanfiction and even more alternate endings to Evangelion (or anything else I happen to be fairly knowledgable about) and continue to supply the public with original works of fiction. Unfortunately, I'm a poor author, so this event is unlikely, but all the same, as long as the Constant Life of the Author is intact and the Constant Interest of the Reader is intact, the material will come.
Alright, consider this fair warning - main characters will die. Anyone who likes Evangelion should know by now that authors get off controlling every little thing about the characters they're using, hence, all the killing and sex present in books. ^.^;;; But really, I have no problem killing off main characters - including Asuka, one of my favorites - but I can't kill Shinji. That'd be like killing a rabbit - there's no reason to treat something like that with cruelty.
On with the fic.

NERV, SEELE, and GEHIRN
In the year 2000, the Second Impact occurs due to unknown causes ? meteoroid
impact is assumed. Polar ice caps in Antarctica and the North Pole are
melted due to high heat and temperature influx. GEHIRN is formed as a
committee of the United Nations and the Japanese Special Strategic Defense
Forces. GEHIRN?s real purpose remains unknown to the general public.
In 2015, after GEHIRN became SEELE, NERV was formed. Put in charge of two
projects - Project-E and Human Instrumentality - NERV serves as a split-off,
sister organization of SEELE. The United Nations, now more or less a puppet
government serving SEELE?s needs, has no real say in the outcome of
events, has no say in the future SEELE and NERV intend to create.
The real cause of the Second Impact was the explosion of the First Angel,
Adam - humanity?s Katsuragi Expedition located him at the South Pole. Upon
finding their God of Gods, they tried to control and contain it; but of
course, their false God destroyed them by destroying itself. However, in
2015, efforts have begun to reclaim the God of Humanity.
The impetus for all of this secrecy, deceit, and religious talk is the
greatest archeological find in human history - the Dead Sea Scrolls. These
scrolls predicted not only the arrival and attack of seventeen Angels, but
it also declares the end of the evolution of humanity. GEHIRN?s real purpose
is revealed at this point; the ultimate goal of GEHIRN - and, subsequently,
NERV and SEELE - is to forcibly cause the next step of evolution in humans.
This, of course, would be caused by a Third Impact.
Human arrogance and the idea of challenging even the Gods through technology
and human will?NERV is founded on these principals.

NERV?S PRINCIPALS
NERV, the sister organization to the SEELE committee, has two goals:
-To cause the next step of human evolution, and
-To defeat the seventeen angels so their first goal can be achieved.
In the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Angels? purposes are not fully revealed; also,
not all of the Dead Sea Scrolls were recovered. However, even more
interesting evidence of human origin and their ultimate destiny is revealed
by Kaworu Nagisa, who is also known as the Seventeenth Angel (Tabris).
Tabris calls all humans ?Lilims,? leading many of the higher officials in
NERV and SEELE to believe that all of humanity is derived from Lilith, the
Second Angel. This is arguably quite believable, but not exactly proven.
Acquiring Adam in his embryo state was crucial to the success of NERV and
SEELE, and during the course of Episodes 1-26 NERV?s commander Gendou Ikari
successfully locates ?Him.?
NERV and SEELE?s ultimate goal is to cause the next step of human
evolution; the Third Impact. While no definite impetus can be determined,
SEELE has arrived at the conclusion that by reuniting an Angel with Adam or
Lilith, absorption of humanity can begin to make a single, all-powerful
entity - the eighteenth Angel, ?Humanity.? Ultimately, their plans fail -
all of the Angels, including Tabris, are slain by the Evangelions. As such,
SEELE?s plans are thought to have failed - but all is not lost. The Evas
themselves, the instruments of protecting from a premature Third Impact, can
be used to generate a controlled Third Impact. Since all of the Evangelions
are derived from Adam, however, this also creates a problem - hence,
Evangelion-01, the ultimate Evangelion, is derived from Lilith, the mother
of humanity.
In short, the goal of NERV and its commander, Gendou Ikari, is to cause a
Third Impact to control the next step of human evolution. To challenge the
Gods; and to defeat them.

* Discussing Politics - Real Life *
* Church standing in front of Sarge *

Church: Look, that's just the way I feel about it.
Sarge: Well I disagree, but I respect your opinion.

* Discussing Politics - Internet *
*Church is firing at Sarge*

Church: You deserve to DIE! Die, and go to hell and burn!
Sarge: Oh yeah!? Well I hope you get RAEPd! Twice! Maybe then you'll feel different! Jerk!
Grif: We don't need to find any weapons of mass destruction! We just need to want to find 'em. That's the way it works!
Simmons: I voted for Nader! I hate everyone!
Donut: Politics makes me soooooo horny. Check out my webcam pic at www.presidentialsluts.com!
04-18-2003 7:08 AMChurch is offline Send an Email to Church Search for Posts by Church Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

GLOSSARY OF TERMS USED
Evangelion (n.) - from the German ?Evangelion?- a biohumanoid Angel-based
lifeform, excelling in close-quarters combat. Because Angels can only be
intercepted at close range (and most are invulnerable to long-range attacks
and nuclear devices), Evangelion is the sole defense of mankind. Derived
from the First Angel, Adam, Evangelion possesses all of his combat
capabilities and more. Due to heavy armor plating and enhancement by
humankind, Evangelions are capable of human interface. Only children born
nine months after the Second Impact can pilot these living weapons, however,
and the fate of mankind rests squarely on their shoulders.

JSSDF (acronym, n.) - Japanese Strategic Special Defense Forces - The
Japanese government?s ultimate line of defense. Although their weapons are
completely ineffective against Angels, they remain the weapons of choice of
the U.N. Their newest positron and nuclear weapons are extremely useful
against other human technology. Most of the high-ranked JSSDF brass resents
their loss of command to the hands of NERV.

LCL (acronym, n.) ? Link Connection Liquid - LCL is the ?blood? of the
Second Angel Lilith. Lilith
lies hung on a scarlet cross deep in terminal dogma of the NERV facility,
impaled by the Lance of Longinus to prolong ?Her? suffering and prevent the
regrowth of her severed lower half. LCL is run through the innards of
Evangelions to enable humans to breathe in an oxygen-deprived environment.
Because it is enriched with the types of elements that humans need to
breathe, it is crucial to the survival of the Eva pilots.

AT-Field (n.) - Absolute Terror Field - The AT-Field is the ultimate weapon of the Evangelions and Angels alike. By utilizing a special wavelength previously unknown to humans, the AT-Field generates a powerful force shield that can render nearly all non-melee attack completely useless. Towards the end of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Kaworu Nagisa says the AT-Field is the physical projection of the soul, and hence, only beings attuned to a higher plane of existence can manifest the AT-Field in a physical form. Thus, Evangelions and Angels are the only beings capable of using them.

Dead Sea Scrolls (n.) - archaeological find - The Dead Sea Scrolls in Evangelion tell of humanity's final stages of evolution and of God's harbingers, the Angels. Unfortunately, humanity has already reached its final state, resulting in a widespread outbreak of scientific solutions to this problem. Gendou Ikari and NERV base many of their decisions on these works, and thus, they are regarded almost a second Gospel. SEELE and NERV use it mainly to predict Angel attacks and courses of action to take.

Adam (n.) - the First Angel - Adam, the first Angel found by mankind, is surrounded in mystery; ultimately, Adam has God-like powers and potential but is himself not a deity. When the Second Impact occurred, it was rumored to be caused by Adam's self-destruction - however, to this day, even among NERV, only speculation can be offered as to his intents. Reborn as a fetus in an embryo state, Adam's initial growth stages are remarkably human, and this allows many to arrive at the conclusion that Angels are merely humans who have rejected a human form.

Angel (n.) - harbingers of mankind's ultimate fate - The Angels are the divine weapons of the Almighty, the soldiers of God. After the Second Impact, Angels began showing up on a global scale - 17 Angels in total. These indestructible wraiths have many different forms and many different appearances, but one thing remains the same about them, always - they pursue Adam, wherever he resides. According to both NERV and the Dead Sea Scrolls, if an Angel comes into contact with Adam it will cause Third Impact. Thus, the biohumanoid weapons Evangelion were created to prevent any Angel from reaching Adam.

Dummy Plug System (n.) - horrific by-product of instrumentality - The Dummy Plug system is the next step in Evangelion technology - reducing the need of a human pilot to nothing. By using remote frequencies, the Dummy Plug system can send false wavelength patterns to the Eva, thereby faking a human soul (required to pilot Evangelion). Ritsuko Akagi later reveals that the Dummy Plug System uses a network of cloned Rei Ayanami vessels, and the harsh reality of instrumentality and its by-products is finally brought to bear. Deep in Terminal Dogma, there is a vast tank system containing not one but many Ayanami clones; since Evangelions themselves possess no soul, this was thought to be the ultimate answer to the need for extra AT-Fields.

Entry Plug (n.) - the throne of the soul - The entry plug is the way by which the Evangelion pilots enter the Evas body through a mechanical cylinder inserted into the spinal cord of the Eva. Inside the entry plug is most just a single seat and two control sticks for the pilots hands; much of the rest is control panels or observation points for the pilot. Rei typically refers to the entry plug as the throne of the soul this is because Evangelions have no soul of their own, and thus the pilot (acting as a soul) must synchronize with the Evangelion.

MAGI (n.) - the supercomputer network of NERV - The MAGI supercomputers are the ultimate in artificial intelligence because they are, in effect, not artificial. Using the seventh generation personality transplant OS, the MAGI computers do in fact have a brain that of Naoko Akagi, the young scientist who created them. By using the personality OS, the MAGI were successfully separated into three different parts Melchior-1, Balthasar-2, and Caspar-3. This allows the computer to argue with itself and measure all possible solutions from all possible viewpoints. Unfortunately for Ritsuko, Caspar (the side of Naoko that represented her persona as a "woman) consistently betrays her in favor of Gendou, Naokos former lover. Later on in NGE, the governing body of Japan is transferred from human control to the control of the three deliberating MAGI computers.

S2-Engine (n.) - Super Solenoid engine - the Koa of the Angels that allows them to run infinitely and generate a nigh-unlimited source of energy, the S2-Engine allows for infinite running time for an Evangelion, as well. Only Unit-01 successfully incorporates an S2-Engine into its system during the test of Unit-04 at NERVs Second Branch in Nevada, Unit-04 and all of the second branch was destroyed upon trying to implement an S2-Engine into the Evangelion. SEELE's Mass-Production EVA-SERIES, however, successfully garnered the Solenoid engine, resulting in a decided advantage over the NERV EVA-SERIES.

Plug Suit (n.) - the official clothing brand of the Apocalypse - the plug suit is a type of skin-tight jumpsuit that is normally expanded and baggy. It has a trigger on the wrist to instantly shrink it to the pilots size, and a second trigger on the opposite wrist to instantly expand it to normal size again. Plug suits are normally used to insulate the body from LCL and the potential invasion of orifices by aforementioned liquid, but they are more or less totally aesthetic and tailored to the pilots preference. Their utter lack of function is brought to bear when Ritsuko Akagi accidentally gives away the fact that a pilot can operate an Evangelion naked or even wearing other clothes if so desired. However, the pilots continue to utilize them until NRE Shinji pilots EVA-01 against SEELE wearing normal clothing, and Asuka is put into Unit-02 completely naked due to time constraints in the final battle for NERV and mankind.

SEELE (n.) - The Committee of Instrumentality - SEELE is the secretive organization that founded the GEHIRN Project and began NERV. They are responsible for the initiation of the Evangelion Project and they are also the conductors of the cover-up of the truth surrounding Second Impact. Their logo - the seven eyes - is directly derived from the faceplate that adorns the second Angel, Lilith. They are headed by Chairman Kihl Lorenz.

Tokyo-3 (n.) - third new Tokyo city - The fourth Tokyo constructed, but code-named Tokyo-3 because it is the third new Tokyo built (hence, there are actually four Tokyo cities; Tokyo, Tokyo-1, Tokyo-2, and Tokyo-3). Built near Lake Ashino in Hakone of Japan, this city is a complete battle fortress made to combat and withstand the Angels. By using an artificial façade of buildings called Armament Buildings, Tokyo-3 effectively camouflages itself to look like a regular city. Much of Tokyo-3 is a hidden weapons facility, with only very little residential areas. The Geo-Front, underneath Tokyo-3, is where NERVs headquarters is and where many of the higher-class civilians live. Destroyed by the self-destruction of EVA-00, the U.N. commissioned for its reconstruction in the initial phases of Neon Revelation Evangelion.

Lilith (n.) - the mother of all - The true first Angel, or so it is believed. Lilith is currently underneath Terminal Dogma in the highest-class security facilities of NERV. Little is actually known about this potentially celestial body except that SEELE obviously has known of her for quite some time, and that she may or may not be the mother of all of mankind. Until recently, she was nailed to a scarlet cross with the Lance of Longinus impaled through her, but Rei Ayanami removed it to kill the 16th Angel. She was also missing her legs as of late, but that may or may not be changed by the removal of the divine weapon Longinus.

Sarge: Oh yeah!? Well I hope you get RAEPd! Twice! Maybe then you'll feel different! Jerk!
Grif: We don't need to find any weapons of mass destruction! We just need to want to find 'em. That's the way it works!
Donut: Politics makes me soooooo horny. Check out my webcam pic at www.presidentialsluts.com!
04-18-2003 7:08 AMChurch is offline Send an Email to Church Search for Posts by Church Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Lance of Longinus (n.) - humanity's own divine weapon - Much of the Lance's initial development is a mystery, as it is unclear whether it was made by mankind or by a higher power. The Lance has the power to slice right through weaker AT-Fields, and as such, the Mass-Production EVA-SERIES of SEELE carries spears that can artificially transform into copies of the Lance. Asuka Langely Sohryu is killed during the fight for NERV when the EVA-SERIES impales her with all nine of their own emulators after disemboweling EVA-02. In NRE, Warner Murphy can generate an energy-emulator of the Lance to ward off attack within his enlightened state. Although not much is known about the real Lance, what is clear is that SEELE needs it and Unit-01 to cause their own version of the future.

04-18-2003 7:10 AMChurch is offline Send an Email to Church Search for Posts by Church Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

<<Launch (The Cruel Angel's Thesis)>>
Zankoku na tenshi no youni (zooming out of drawing of Angel)
Shounen yo shinwa ni nare (pictures of the Tree of Life and Burning Bush)
(brief musical interlude)

(NEON REVELATION EVANGELION: REVELATION 0:1)

Aoi kaze ga ima (Shinji's silhouette and a transparency of his face)
Mune no door wo tataitemo (silhouettes of Asuka and Rei passing over his face)
Watashidake wo tada mitsu mete (Shinji's face gives way to Warner's)
Hohoenderu anata (Warner smiling, eyes creasing)
Sotto fureru mono (Tree of Life and Asuka's fingers stroking over the screen)
Motomeru koto ni muchuu de (silhouette of Misato and transparency of her face in b/g)
Unmei sae mada shiranai (Shinji's face replacing Misato's in b/g with Asuka's shadow)
Itaikena hitomi (Asuka's silhouette switches to Rei's face through glass, then her eye)
Dakedo itsuka kizuku deshou (entry plug insertion and view of Shinji's face)
Sono senaka niwa (Eva-01 followed by slides of Gendou face's, then Misato/Ristuko/Rei)
Haruka mirai mesasu tameno (Allen in entry plug, angry and whirling around)
Hanega arukoto (Unit-01 spasms, and jolts, and sprouts wings)
Zankoku na tenshi no thesis (Unit-01 going berserk caption Test Type/EVA-01 after killing Unit-03 with bloody hands and feet, Angel's face, followed by Red Earth, Kaworu's face, then caption of Absolute Terror Field, then Rei's body)
Madobe kara yagate tobitatsu (caption "Angels" then satellite view of Tokyo-3, followed by screen caption of Tokyo-3, then the Geo-Front, then NERV's logo, then Fuyutsuki's face, street map, then Hyuga's face, followed by Aoba's face, then Ibuki's face, then Terminal Dogma, then Kaji, Ristuko, and the seven eyes of Lilith, then Gendou, and Kihl, young Gendou, Adam Embryo, Gendou's smirk under hands, then Unit-00's head spasming up)
Hotobashiru atsui pathos de (caption of "Prototype EVA-00", then Unit-02 snapping out progressive knife, then caption of "Production Model EVA-02", Unit-04 pulling a pistol from it's shoulder, caption of "Mass Production EVA-04", then Rei inside entry plug, Asuka inside entry plug, Allen inside entry plug, then Touji, Kensuke, Hikari, then explosion in residential Tokyo-3, EVA-05 front-flipping upwards, explosion with EVA-01 somersaulting towards the screen)
Omoide wo uragiru nara (EVA-01's eye bursting open, Gendou peering down, crying Shinji on deserted street, naked Asuka covering her breasts, Misato's cross on her chest, caption "Second Impact," screen of the Luminous Giant ADAM, thermal imaging of Second Impact, naked Rei with glass of water, Naoku Akagi, uncovered head of Unit-01, caption "ADAM", Ritsuko Akagi, nerve connection monitors of Evangelion, Misato's head bowed down, then snapping upwards)
Kono sora wo diate kagayaku (young Misato, Kaji, and Ristuko, Eva-01 traveling backwards, spasming, then transparent Shinji shooting out of it)
Shounen yo shinwa ni nare! (Shinji looking up determined, Shinji looking in pain, screaming, Shinji shielding himself from bright light, then Shinji laughing peacefully, then screen of the Dead Sea Scrolls with transparency of a teary, smiling Warner)

EPISODE TWENTY-SEVEN
<<Catharsis/Awakening>>

(Inside a bleakly white hospital, soft moans can be heard throughout the silence. A stiff orderly shifts her eyes in the direction of a pasty hallway as a visitor comes to up to her. More racket penetrates the stillness. Only the clacking of shoes against tile can be heard...and the moans. Outside, the shrill buzzing of the cicadas can be heard as the camera zooms out; legend on screen "Tokyo-3." Power lines, train stations, and even the streets remain devoid of activity. Zooming back into the First Cranial Nerve, the pathetic moaning can be heard, this time with more fervor. Two orderlies walk by the room, raise eyebrows in dismay, but continue walking.
Camera pans to room 303 in the First Cranial Nerve, with many devices and medicinal hookups attached to the catatonic form of Asuka Langely Sohryu. Shinji Ikari is sitting over the bed of his comrade and part-time love interest, as she lays comatose on the bed. He is hunched up, shoulders high and riding up over his neck. Sobs and pleads can be heard, but the red-haired girl gives the Third Child no quarter. Flashbacks to her mental collapse run through his head, and he moans again.)

Shinji: C'mon, Asuka...(pleading) C'mon! Asuka! Get up, already! I get it...I get it, okay!?

(A memory of the German girl buzzes his brain despite his frail efforts at stopping them. She is sitting at her desk, in her traditional school outfit, laughing with Hikari Horaki, the class representative. Her red hair glimmers in the rising sunlight. Ikari remembers that she was still relatively new to the school, and got popular extremely quickly. His black hair splaying out wildly to one side, Ikari himself looks distraught and distant. He gets up to go to the bathroom and instead opens the cloakroom door, and he looks into it as though it is foreign.
"When you're finished surverying our stock of school supplies, Ikari, maybe you'll care to join us?" his teacher remarks casually. Assorted giggles resound. Shinji's disappointment is evident, and he tries to slink back into his chair as stealthily as possible - but not before Asuka Sohryu steals a glance at him. "Next, take me in there with you," she says with merry, dancing eyes. "Then you'll definitely have something to stare at!"
Hikari giggles, but the teacher shoots them an icy glare.)

Shinji:...

Shinji: Asuka, please! (whining) Asuka, what do you want me to say? 'Gee, I'm sorry I didn't appreciate her!'? This is not a joke, Asuka! (rising up out of the chair) Please...Asuka...I...think I need you right now. I need to be able to..t-to talk. To someone! PLEASE! (gripping her shoulders, then shaking her violently) ASUKA! GODDAMNIT! GET UP GET UP GET UP GET UP GET...up... (releasing her) Oh, God...

Shinji (reclining back into his chair): I-I need you, Asuka...and every time I need you most, you're always furthest away. (thinking, then rising again) Maybe you'll wake up when I come back next time. (leaning over, his face over hers) Asuka...(abruptly pulling away) See you next time.

Shinji (whirling back to her): Goddamnit, Asuka, say something! Call me an idiot like you used to! GODDAMNIT, ASUKA! (crying, stumbling away)

(Ikari stumbles out, the door hauntingly swaying open, shut, open, shut. He stares at the jam as if it is an alien life-form. He casts his accusing eyes on it with hatred, on the verge of a cascade of tears. His demeanor does not go unnoticed as two nurses part to separate sides of the hallway to avoid him as he rumbles past with all the poise of a drunkard.)

Nurse 1: That's the third time he's left like that.

Nurse 2: You haven't seen anything! I went in there once to check her diastolic, and he was wailing! He keeps thinking she's going to come out of it. (shaking her head)

Nurse 1 (clucking her tongue): Poor soul. I don't see too many other visitors, though...odd - isn't she the pilot of one of those Evangelions?

Nurse 2: I remember the only other one. (staring upwards) And I only remember her because she was so...stark. You know? Red eyes. Blue hair. It was weird.

Nurse 1: Damn NERV...damn Evangelion project...(shaking her head) Let's go, c'mon. Make sure Sohryu isn't dead, and head upstairs - they need a few extra hands in Trauma.

(Pan out. The rain begins cascading downwards from an angry black sky, intent on making the Third Child's day as bad as possible. Back on the street, Shinji curses the rain as it pours from a blackened cloud, one that appears to have been following him his whole life. He silently looks upwards, accusing glare in place. He doesn't budge until a raindrop falls in his eye; sputtering, he backs up right into a suited businessman who just grunts and moves along. His mood "normalized," he heads up the street, covering his head with the collar of his jacket, obviously caught up in deep introspection.)

Shinji (thinking): (Asuka Sohryu...Evangelion 02...ally...comrade...?)

Shinji (thinking): (...what else?)

(As he walks briskly, he quickly steps into the train stop, which lies nearly deserted. A train soundlessly whooshes up to the platform, labeled "No.9," and Ikari shakes off his head to cast off the heavy rain on his shoulders, casting off his rainsoaked jacket. He doesn't bother to pick it up. Swiftly, Ikari steps into the car before the doors hiss a warning and close. On board, there is little life - a man in a brown overcoat listening to an old S-DAT, a woman cradling a child who is sound asleep. He doesn't bother finding a seat. As the train lurches into perpetual motion, an advertisement plays on the traincar's loudspeaker system.)

Loudspeaker: (jingle) Do you have night pains? Nightmares? Nighttime heartburn? Nighttime anything?

Female Voice on Loudspeaker: Then you need Special K!

Loudspeaker: Our patented formula ensures total unconsciousness for up to eight hours! And best of all, you won't remember a thing!

Female Voice: Sick of those night horrors, and waking up in a cold sweat?

Loudspeaker: Eliminate them! A heavy dose of ketamine and you'll be absolutely thought and consciousness free!

Female Voice: For up to eight hours!

Loudspeaker: And if you call (a phone number prerecording plays) right now, we'll give you four doses of Special K ABSOLUTELY FREE!

Shinji: ...reality is painful.

04-18-2003 7:11 AMChurch is offline Send an Email to Church Search for Posts by Church Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

---------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------

(Meanwhile, in her state of permanent rest, Asuka Langely Sohryu is not even putting an effort into regaining consciousness. What limited thought she controls is tepid, spineless, and weak. She does not want to return to the physical world, but -

-this place is her vision of hell.

She is totally alone, and there's no external source of pride, of worth, for her to draw from. Sohryu has acknowledged that her entire sense of self-meaning is derived from piloting Eva, because that is the singularity in which she is needed. Her inaudible utterances attribute to that much.
Right now, however, she is deep in self-reflection, trying to find something to hold on to as darkness envelops her being. She has no worth, she feels...but visions of her loved ones are being dammed up only temporarily. Right now, she is battling...

-herself.

The darkness gives way to a figure of herself in tears, clutching a teddy bear soudnlessly. In a shadowy region, a darker version of herself lies off to the side. She can see herself, projected as a perfect, unchanged Asuka Sohryu.)

Child-Asuka: ...I don't want to be alone...

Asuka: But there's no way I can go back! They don't need me! I'm not...required...for anything...

Child-Asuka: I wonder.

Dark-Asuka: Oh, shut up! You're being too conceited! He doesn't even give you a second thought! You don't even show remorse for your actions against him...

Asuka: I did show remorse! I did! I let him kiss me!

Dark-Asuka: You washed your mouth out!

Asuka: I learned to be his comrade!

Child-Asuka: It was an order.

Asuka (exasperated): GO AWAY! Dummkopf!

Asuka:...

(Asuka lets her feelings slip out of her control again. Sights, sounds of her life flood inward, and she cannot protect herself from what she sees. Mostly, it is him - Shinji Ikari, the boy she resents...and loves...most. It is his haunting visage that accompanies her constantly, and it is his eyes that follow her most persistently. His eyes, deep brown, gentle brown, conveying an unspoken hurt. Her feelings of guilt are part of his eyes - her inner consciousness knows she only contributes to his hurt. Kanji and katakana lessons taught her that ikari is also the word for one of the passions of a human being -

-hatred.

Ikari means hatred...but Shinji's timidity and frailty always stunned her. As she tries to block his face away, it only becomes more omnipresent...and inevitably, the memories flow in.
...her dancing lessons, simultaneous combat training in disguise - learning to move with Shinji as one.
...her escapade into the molten peak of a volcano to retrieve and destroy an Angel, only to have her lifeline snap - and only to have Shinji save her life.
...her feelings of jealousy when Shinji would talk to Rei Ayanami.
...her hatred of the boy who is more talented at piloting Evangelion.
Her subconsciousness hangs suspended in time - as far as Sohryu knows, the Angels are still wreaking havoc and Shinji is still defending the world with his Evangelion, Unit 01. But what she does not know is that Shinji was forced to kill his last connection to a reality most call "normal"- his friend Kaworu Nagisa, who turned out to be the 17th (and arguably most dangerous) Angel. However, she still ponders things.
Why was humanity forsaken? The First Impact...the Second Impact...and...?
What of the Third? Would there be Fourth? A Fifth? As many as it took before the Earth was cleansed of humankind? What exactly is the Third Impact?
If there is a God, she wonders, why has He sent the Angels? They were dubbed that by humans...but...they fell from the Heavens above (or so she was told). They are, as she found out, 99.89% genetically the same as human beings. She also knows that they are physically nothing alike a human being...they are usually manifested in combative battle forms designed to destroy.
But then, there is Kaworu...who she still has yet to find out about.
And all of her self-doubt always leads to...her.
Mama, accompanied by Shinji Ikari.
Asuka Sohryu Langely, the Greatest Pilot the World has Ever Seen, can't put the past behind her. Her ability to bury her feelings, her ability to put up a facade of confidence, an air of self-assured excellence, shattered by her past, which shattered her own future with splash damage. One knows that it is her own fault - had she not been so vile, so hopelessly intent on not showing her true self, one might actually feel pity for this tragic anti-heroine. With her stuck-up selfishness inaudible and intangible, misery is the only thing projected by Asuka's unconscious self. All of her silliness has fallen away, and pity is the first thing one can feel for the young woman robbed of a future.
Another crucial thing that Sohryu does not know...is that if you do not learn from the past, you are doomed to repeat it.
And with a shuddering ripple, Shinji and her mother phase into her mind, unwelcomed and uninvited. Try as she might, she cannot escape them - and she is forced to see, even though she tries to close her eyes. Her mother floats before her as a spectre of the past, and Ikari stands, looking ashamedly at the floor, as a spectre of her now negated future.)

Asuka: Mama...!

Shinji: Asuka, I need you.

Asuka: Shut up!

Mother: Asuka...

Asuka: Mama!

Shinji: ...need you.

Asuka: Mama...! Mama! Don't!

Mother (distant): Asuka.

Asuka: Don't leave me...(sobs)

Mother: Asuka. I never left you.

Asuka: M-m-mama?

Mother: Asuka Sohryu, be strong! Do not fail. If you do not hold steadfast, you're leaving the fate of all of humanity in the hands of others!

Asuka: They're better than me. (whining) I can't do it anymore, Mama...

Mother: Nonsense. We are a team, Asuka.

Asuka: We're not a team...You were always gone, always gone! I cried out, and you never listened. You just...left! You killed yourself! (crying) I hate you!

Mother: Asuka Sohryu, be strong! Do not fail. (growing fainter) You cannot allow the world to go without you. There is someone who needs you...

Shinji:...need you...

Mother: Asuka Sohryu, you don't need to awaken for him - he needs you to awaken, not the other way around... but, you need to awaken for yourself. Selfishness is your strength! If you don't succeed, who will, Asuka!? ASUKA!

Asuka: Shut up! I hate you!

Shinji:...need you...

Asuka: SHINJI IKARI! SHUT UP! DUMMKOPF! VERDAMMT!

Shinji:...you...

Mother: ASUKA SOHRYU!

Shinji:...you...

Asuka: SHUT UP! ALL OF YOU! SHUT UP!

Mother (nearly gone): Asuka...Langely...Sohryu...be strong. Stand tall...and shake the heavens!

Shinji: ...you. I need you...ASUKA!

Asuka: S-sh-shut up! I-I-I can't d-do it anymore! (sobs drowning) I w-won't do it anymore! Yu-you can't muh-make me!

Shinji: ...wake up. This isn't a joke, Asuka! This isn't funny anymore.

(Asuka's tormented body and soul undergo convulsions. The electrokardiogram starts rapidly beeping, although a commotion in Trauma has allowed Asuka's condition to go unnoticed. Her fits of unbridled lashing get increasingly more violent, until -
-with a start
-and a jolt

-Asuka Langely Sohryu reawakens from her comatose state.)

Asuka:...nngh. (shielding her eyes from the sunlight) Ugh...rgh...sun..? (chuckling madly) Sun.

Nurse (entering slowly, hearing the maniacally soft chuckling): Ohmygodinheaven! (fainting)

Asuka:...? I...ka...ri..? Shin...ji...Shinji? Shinji? Ikari! Where ..are you?

<<End (Fly Me To The Moon)
Fly me to the moon
And let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like on
Jupiter and Mars
In other words
Hold my hand
In other words
Darling, kiss me
Fill my heart with song
And let me sing forever more
You are all I long for
All I worship and adore
In other words
Please be true
In other words
I love you.>>

04-18-2003 7:12 AMChurch is offline Send an Email to Church Search for Posts by Church Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

(NEON REVELATION EVANGELION: REVELATION 0:2)

EPISODE TWENTY-EIGHT
<<No reprieve for the weary.>>

(At Terminal Dogma, Hyuga Makoto, Shigeru Aoba, and Maya Ibuki are sitting around, conversing about seemingly nothing. The trio is a rag-tag but undeniably talented group - Hyuga, the spectacle-wearing scientist and assisant strategist; Maya, the homely doctor and assistant to Ritsuko Akagi; and Shigeru, a free-spirited computers expert. All three have a slightly disappointed yet relieved look on their faces, although Maya notably looks the most saddened.)

Maya: So...that's it, I guess.

Shigeru (sarcastic): Why don't they just disband us already?

Hyuga (confused): Wasn't Kaworu the last Angel?

Shigeru (nodding): Yeah, he was. There aren't any more Angels.

Hyuga (slightly annoyed): So what are they waiting for? If they're not gonna disband us, I'd hate to think what they're really going to do to us.

Maya: So they're gonna kill us, you think?

Hyuga (shaking his head): Not kill us. There are fates worse than death, you know.

Maya: Stop being so melodramatic!

Shigeru (shaking his head): C'mon, you two. That's enough. We've got to get our heads set if we're gonna get out of this, right?

(A ding-dong noise permeates the still silence around the crew of Evangelion-Project. Public announcements ring over the intercom, asking for the report of Misato Katsuragi to terminal dogma, thank you, ding-dong. Soon, Maya speaks again.)

Maya (concerned): What about Gendou? NERV? Misato? They have knowledge of sensitive stuff. (dawning realization) You think they'll...!?

Hyuga (eyesbrows arched up): Most likely. I mean, if they know stuff they're not supposed to know...

Shigeru (head snapping to his console): Hold on a second...I've got an intrusive reading on the fifth-level. MAGI computers are being...investigated...!?

Hyuga (shrugging): Does it really matter anymore?

Maya (getting to her booth): We've still got a job to do, even if we won't be here that long.

--------------------------------------------

(Asuka Sohryu is sitting upright in her hospital bed, tasteless gown intact and all. Her obvious discontent is worn like a Halloween mask that she cannot take off - her scowl is enough to send the nurses scattering. Right now, she is still totally angry at waking up without anyone by her side.
Shinji Ikari, banished now by the now-conscious Asuka, sits outside the room 303 keeping vigil. He sits with his head in his hands, trying to fully awaken at only six in the morning. Luckily, NERV activity spiked downward considerably following the death of Kaworu - although he still is having trouble coming to grips with the things he's done.
Back in the room, however, Asuka is now fully awake, and he intact anger spews out in a geyser of emotion, spittle, and rage.)

Asuka (angrily): No one even here to greet me, the Second Child! And to think, here I was leaving it all to you guys! (yelling) SHINJI!

Shinji (entering quietly): Yes, Asuka?

Asuka: Help me up! (growling) Well, don't just stand there!

Shinji: What do I have to help you for?

Asuka: I need to go.

Shinji (puzzled): Go where?

Asuka (fuming): GO! Dummkopf!

Shinji: You wouldn't constantly have to 'go' if you didn't drink all the time...

Asuka: SHUT UP!

(The young man crosses over to her bedside and lifts her frail frame. Her arm is draped over his shoulder, and her head lays cradled near his neck. To any outside observer, this would look romantic and endearing.
-to any inside observer, they know Shinji's in for hell.)

Shinji (grunting): You're still heavy...

Asuka: (glowering) WHAT!?

Shinji: That's a good sign! I mean, most people lose lots of weight when they're hospitalized...you know, they get all thin and sickly.

Asuka (calming): So I still look good?

Shinji: I said you were heavy.

Asuka (grumbling): I swear, Shinji, I would hit you if it didn't hurt me.

Shinji (groaning): Alright, we're going! (walking slowly) Does it...hurt?

Asuka (still grumbling): Does what hurt?

Shinji (beginning to carry her down the hall): You know. Starting to walk.

Asuka: No, it doesn't hurt as much when I lean on you more. (leaning) My feet barely even touch the ground.

Shinji (grunting under the weight): Good...to hear.

(The boy manages -somehow- to get Asuka to the door marked "LADIES." He begins to try to turn the knob, but she swats away his hand and turns it herself. After much distress and effort, she forces the door open with her shoulder, and releases Ikari's shoulder. She nearly collapses, but her inhuman recovery rate allows her to stand. Audibly cursing, she whirls - albeit a little slowly - to face Shinji.)

Asuka: Well!? (putting one hand on her hip) What are you waiting for!?

Shinji (keeled over): Waiting for you finish.

Asuka: You're waiting for a free show, I bet! No dice, perversling!

Shinji (looking shocked): B-but...I didn't e-even look up -

Asuka: Rrrargh! Get out! Go! (letting the door swing shut on its 'arm')

Shinji (muttering): You're just going to need me to help you back to your room, you know...

(Her frail form disappears behind the door as it swings shut. Alone again, Ikari wanders listlessly as he waits for the familiar flushing sound, and when it finally comes, he springs into action like battle is about to engage. This would be comical if not for the underlying truth behind it. His muscles tense as the knob turns and Asuka - grunting - yanks the door open. Her control over her body is growing steadily, but she still seems to be aggravated by depending on others; even a little help sets her off.
Soon, Ikari and Sohryu are on their way back, but not without frequent trips to the water fountains along the way.)

Asuka: So, Shinji, baka, where were you while I was dying?

Shinji: You weren't dying. (readjusting her weight on him) And I was here.

Asuka (feigning shock): You liar! You were never here once, were you?

Shinji (angrily): I was here every day! Or, almost every day. Father wouldn't let me go every time I wanted to.

Asuka: So...why did you come?

Shinji (angrily): I was looking after you, of course! I wanted to make sure you weren't alone.

Asuka (getting snobbish): Were we alone in the room together?

Shinji (anticipating where she's going): Uh...no, not all the time...(unsure) Well, maybe sometimes...

Asuka (triumphantly): I knew it! You only show up when there's opportunity in it for you! You knew if you advanced on me -

Shinji (indignant): Asuka! What the hell -!

Asuka (smirking coyly): You'd get no resistance from an unconscious girl! And an attractive one like myself to boot. (shrieking into his ear) What do you think I am!? Stupid?

Shinji (muffled): Nnngh.

Asuka (covering his mouth with her free hand): Perversling!

Shinji (bursting out): You ever think that I watch over you because I - love you!?

Asuka (eyes widening): ...

(There is a long, awkward pause as they make their way towards Asuka's room. No words are spoken between the two as they arrive, until Shinji finally breaks the silence.)

Shinji (arriving at her room): We're here, Asuka.

Asuka (laughing nervously): Finally. I thought I'd die on the way over!

Shinji (muttering): You're not the only one...

(After some commotion, Shinji manages to get Asuka back onto the bed to lay down. With a quick glance, his mind registers the time, which is glowering at him from a digital clock - 2200 hours. He pulls the blanket over her frame swiftly, trying to avoid the look on Asuka's face as he does so. She is grinning with content.)

Asuka: I could get used to this, actually.

Shinji: Don't be so certain I'll do this forever.

Asuka (stretching and yawning): Good night, Third Child.

Shinji (leaving): Goodnight, Asuka. Sleep well.

(Asuka Sohryu Langely will not go to sleep for another three hours.)

04-18-2003 7:13 AMChurch is offline Send an Email to Church Search for Posts by Church Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

------------------------------------------

(Meanwhile, in different hallways of the underground facilities of NERV, Gendou Ikari sits in his chair like a corporate CEO, assessing all sections of his 'company' through intense visual monitoring. His subcommander, Kozou Fuyutsuki, and aging man, stands erect behind him and to his right. Fuyutsuki is a man who looks so serious all the time - so thin-lipped austere that any liquids he has are precious and sparse. Gendou himself has Shinji's wild black hair and a beard that he keeps neatly trimmed, not to mention the same haunted look on his face. His orange-tinted sunglasses, however, hide his eyes and his expression remains neutral. His hands lie intertwined on his desk, which is also oddly bare - but this isn't the first time. He observes the sprawling facility set out below him and smirks slyly.)

Gendou: Fuyutsuki, is Dr. Akagi out of her confinement yet?

Fuyutsuki (monotone): We had to clear some red tape to explain her sudden return, but yes. She'll be back on official duty in less than 24 hours - she's already begun reinstalling new failsafes in the MAGI.

Gendou: Alert staff that she'll be returning. You might want to warn Major Katsuragi, especially. (adjusting his glasses) Or maybe not. I leave it at your discretion. Inform Aoba, Makoto, and Ibuki, at least.

Fuyutsuki: Why are you putting so much trust in her, sir? I mean...she's more or less a wildcard.

Gendou: What you call 'trust' is hardly that, my friend. Things aren't all that they appear to be.

Fuyutsuki: So you're more or less just playing her? To serve your own ends?

Gendou (snorting): My ends are humanity's ends.

Fuyutsuki (surprised): That's uncharacteristically high-handed, even for you.

Gendou: The Human Instrumentality Project, not to mention Project-E...

Fuyutsuki: Did you really have all of humanity in mind? Self-preservation may've been a motivator - to be reunited with Yui.

Gendou: To deny such would be lying. (adjusting his glasses) But I truly do believe that what I strive to achieve is best for mankind.

Fuyutsuki: Conviction...?

Gendou: Are you a religious man, Fuyutsuki? (glancing towards him) Really?

Fuyutsuki: I am...not sure. I'm curious as to how you feel, knowing everything that you know...

Gendou (looking smug): Belief in God seems to require a faith in powers absent in this world. God only looks after fools and children.

Fuyutsuki: Present time would seem to void half of that adage.

Gendou (smirking): Maybe you're right. God only seems to look after fools these days...fools, or the blind.

Fuyutsuki (cutting to the chase): How do you plan to fund E-Project now that the U.N. has cut support?

Gendou: Those beaurucrats...it doesn't matter. They've commissioned for Tokyo-3 to be rebuilt and refitted, you know. The city stands as a symbol of hope for humanity - and, conveniently, this puts us in the public spotlight.

Fuyutsuki: Something we'd typically avoid...?

Gendou (to Fuyutsuki): The committee will not allow my petty theft to go unnoticed. They are preparing for a final assault to reclaim Unit-01, Adam, and Lilith. But fortune seems to be on our side - the U.N., in a moment of false belief in their power, granted permission for Tokyo-3 to be reconstructed.

Fuyutsuki: SEELE will not strike in public eye; if it means letting us live a little longer, then they are prepared to wait.

Gendou: You're quite perceptive, despite all I've kept from you, Professor.

Fuyutsuki (annoyed): You know what they're going to do. SEELE intends to -

Gendou (slyly): A slight error in allocation of rebuilding funds will finance Unit-05...and with the added support of units 00, 01, and 02, we should have enough military might to ward off SEELE.

Fuyutsuki: Didn't the Americans contract the construction of Evangelions 5 through 13?

Gendou (whirling his chair around): Why do you think an additional nine units would be needed to fight Angels that are no longer a threat?

Fuyutsuki: Sir, you yourself said that Angels may return-

Gendou (heated): But nine? We've beaten fifteen Angels with just three units...often using only one at a time. Why would nine new units be necessary?

Fuyutsuki (worried): You're not suggesting that -

Gendou: - SEELE has somehow manipulated the U.N. into building more Evangelions? Professor, you knew that all the way up until Unit-06 was contracted nearly a near ago.

Fuyutsuki (dawning): I see. That's why you're looking for him. For the Sixth Child.

Gendou (smiling): He's been found already. Coincidentally, in America.

Fuyutsuki: Why did we expand our pool of potentials?

Gendou (with condescendence): Japan is only one end of a vast spectrum, Kozou. Not all pilots are born and raised on our insignifigant little island. And besides, I didn't find him. He found us.

Fuyutsuki (puzzled): I don't understand. He found us?

Gendou (smirking): I suppose he knew he qualified to be one of the Children. He didn't even go through the Marduk.

Fuyutsuki (shaking his head): Bypassed the Marduk? What, did you just happen to know he'd be a child?

Gendou (nodding): One look at him and I knew. Besides, you know my intuition is typically correct.

Fuyutsuki (thinking): I suppose. I always assumed...

Gendou (arching a brow): You know what happens when you make assumptions.

---------------------------------------

(Far away from the facilities of NERV, Rei Ayanami lies stricken with grief in her bed. She has been having night terrors, inescapable nightmares that always conclude with the same haunting image. Her visions of humanity's future are laden with destruction, but ultimately, her visions are filled with horrible precognitive images of Evangelions destroying other Evangelions. Her mind, noted by her peers to be sharp and emotionless, cracks and distorts during these nightly disasters. She has been rewatching the same cruel fate of the world for nearly three weeks; all she can tell during these nightly horrors is that Evangelion Unit-01 is utterly destroying another Evangelion.)

Rei (sleeping): Ugh...nngh...yaaaaagh! (awakening) ...

(The girl, clearly traumatized, quickly strides over to her sink and begins repeatedly washing her hands and face with cold water. She is sweating. Looking over at her clock, she nearly groans with disappointment - it is 0400 hours. She doesn't have to even get up for another two hours.
Aggravated and troubled by her dream, she stumbles over to her bed again, crawling back within its warm blankets. She does not, however, wish to return to sleep.)

Rei (thinking): If this Third Impact is caused by Evangelion fighting other Evangelion...then that means that mankind will be fighting mankind.

Rei:...

Rei (thinking): So. Maybe it is all part of a divine plan. What better way to destroy humanity then to let humanity destroy itself? Don't attack an enemy if it's in the process of committing suicide, right? The irony is enormous...the weapons created to avoid a Third Impact will eventually cause it!

Rei (thinking): But there must be a way for me to stop it...I know that my dreams aren't just dreams. I wouldn't have them all the time...all the same...unless they meant something. But if I don't know which Evas are fighting, how will I be able to see the fighting coming?

Rei (thinking): I want my son.

(Rei jumps at that last statement - but it is quickly buried. Nanomachines in her bloodstream quickly take effect and release high levels of depressants into her system, and help bury the memory of her last thought. Rei totally forgets what she is thinking about before falling fast asleep...this time, undreaming.)

<<End (Fly Me To The Moon)>>

04-18-2003 7:14 AMChurch is offline Send an Email to Church Search for Posts by Church Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

(NEON REVELATION EVANGELION: REVELATION 0:3)

Episode Twenty-Nine
<<Like a pheonix, she rises from the ashes.>>

(Asuka Sohryu is trying her hardest to wash the mountain of dishes stockpiled in the homely apartment of Misato Katsuragi, but she keeps finding herself distracted by the briefing dossier that was given to her by the good Major. Her interested, unblinking eyes leer into the book as if it is an alien lifeform, foreign and uninviting. Grunting and making noises after reading every sentence, it finally begins to dawn on her.
She is no longer needed.
Evangelion Unit-02 still remains in working condition, but it was taken off of active duty weeks ago. Only Unit-01 remains on standby status, with Unit-00 undergoing extensive repairs and refits. Also, the Angels appear to be totally gone. No mention of any new Angels is made past the death of Kaworu Nagisa.
Asuka begins to pick at her teeth with a toothpick, still caught up in the briefing. She accidentally leaves the tap water running, and as she walks towards the trash, it begins overflowing the already crowded sink.)

Asuka (surprised): Scheist! (turning off the tap, but not bothering to clean up the spill)

(A quick turn of the main door knob leading into the apartment, and we can now see Misato as she enters in the background.)

Misato (entering, arms loaded with groceries): Nnngh...oh! Hey, Asuka. No school today?

Asuka (not looking away from her book): Didn't feel like going.

Misato (kicking the door shut): Asuka! You can't just skip school when you see fit! (hurriedly entering the kitchen) You've got to return to normal life, now that -

(A horrified expression suddenly dawns over Misato as she can see her own reflection in the water-logged floor. A feeling of separation whooshes by, and she can practically watch herself slip in the soapy dishwater. With a nasty crack, she lands on her back, spilling beer and vegetables everywhere.)

Misato (falling): Yaaargh! (hitting the floor) Ooohh...goddamnit...(moaning)

Asuka (looking terrified): Verdammt! Misato! Are you alright! (quickly picking up the fallen groceries) I left the tap on by accident, and it overflowed a bit...

Misato (growling): A bit!? It looks to me like a flash flood just rampaged through the kitchen! (getting to her feet) Well!?

Asuka (aggravated): I'm reading, Misato! Make the Third Child do it! (walking off in a huff)

Misato (sighing): Ugh. All these groceries...and I was about to make dinner, too. Oh well. (calling) Shinji! Make us some instant ramen while I clean up this mess!

(Life has continued as such for the pilots living with Misato Katsuragi. Shinji and Asuka have done what they can to resume normal life, but it gets increasingly more difficult every time they think about what they have come from. Project-E, while never officially designated as concluded, has ceased most activity. Trying to return to a life that resembles normal, Shinji and Asuka have been forced to give up their popularity and status as Evangelion pilots.
Much later...
After the next day's schooling, Touji Suzuhara and Kensuke Aida are joking around with Ikari as they walk to Shinji's apartment. Suzuhara and Aida are excited about seeing Misato again, but Shinji seems depressed. Touji's arm and leg have been replaced with prosthetic limbs, but other than that, the group hasn't changed a bit - for better or for worse.
The prosthetics on Suzuhara are stark reminders to Shinji of what his father's program is capable of, and he cannot help but feel a twinge of guilt every time he sees his old friend.)

Touji (laughing): So...seeing Asuka and Rei in those tight-fitting plugsuits must've been quite pleasurable...I know I loved it! (clapping Shinji on the back, elicting a startled cough from the Third Child)

Kensuke (adjusting his glasses): Maybe next time you're in NERV you can get some pictures! (pausing) Maybe a streaming video...

Touji (snorting): The only thing that will be 'streaming' is YOU, Kensuke, baka!

Shinji (eyes sweeping the ground): I'm not going to take advantage of the girls, Kensuke. (looking up at Suzuhara) Besides, you've already got Hikari-

Touji (fuming): Shut up, Ikari! I can do without the commentary! (crossing his arms) 'Besides, you've already got Hikari...' You're telling me you've never had a crush on Sohryu!?

Shinji (coloring): ...

Kensuke (laughing): You're more transparent than a wet tissue, Shinji. (coming to a halt) Wait! What about Rei? It seems like you got to her place quite often, too, man...

Shinji (whirling): Its not like that!!! (stamping) You guys! Seriousky! Enough is enough!

Touji (smirking): You're just mad because you've probably already done Asuka -

Shinji (fuming): Touji - !

Kensuke (serious): Actually, I'd think he'd be working on Rei, first -

Shinji (spinning): What!? Kensuke - !

Touji (laughing): Maybe it's -

Touji&Kensuke (in unison): MISATO!

Shinji (getting angry): Alright guys, the joke's over. I'm not "doing" Misato, Asuka, or Rei! Leave me alone!

(After much ado, Shinji, Kensuke, and Touji manage to get to the apartment. After letting them all in, Shinji excuses himself to his bedroom, quietly barring the sliding door with furniture and various other things in the room. Kensuke and Touji snigger about Ikari's love life (or lack thereof) for a while, but Asuka and Hikari arrive shortly afterward, with a laughing look on their faces.)

Asuka (entering): And then, Ikari - (noticing Touji and Kensuke)...YOU! What the hell - !?

Hikari (shrugging): Forget them, Asuka. Remember, we need to start that assignment, or we'll never get it done!

Asuka (sticking her tongue out): Yeah. Ignore you! Good idea, Hikari.

Touji (fuming): WE DIDN'T EVEN SAY - !!!

Kensuke (patting his shoulder): Don't worry about it. They're just girls, after all.

Asuka (whirling): WHAT!?

(With traditional Ikari timing, Shinji decides now is the time to come out. He appears to be in a daze, not really cognizant of his surroundings.)

Shinji (entering): ...

Asuka (turning around to face him): AH! Oh...Shinji! Don't sneak up on me like that!

Shinji (snapping out of it): Wha...oh! Sorry, Asuka. (averting eyes) Didn't see you there.

Asuka (blatantly taking advantage): Thought I was more important to you than that.

Shinji (blushing): Yeah, well...

Asuka (getting haughty): I mean, if you love me -

Touji (eyes widening): ...

Kensuke (eyes widening): ...

Shinji (flushed and looking desperate): Guys! No - I - err, Asuka -

Asuka (feigning injury): So you don't love me?

Shinji (flustered): That's not - I mean - (seeing Touji and Kensuke's faces) Well, that is to say...

Asuka (taking pity): Relax. I'm only kidding. (smiling evilly) Suzuhara and Aida couldn't get girlfriends if their lives depended on it, anyway. (flicking a cursory glance at Hikari and the boys) Besides, you're the cutest of the three, Shinji.

Shinji (blushing): Uh, I, uh, I'm...ah...(quickly exits)

Touji (angry): That bullshit, Sohryu! You're just trying to get us going!

Kensuke (analytical): You know, she's got a point.

Touji (fuming): Shut up!

04-18-2003 7:14 AMChurch is offline Send an Email to Church Search for Posts by Church Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

(Things proceed as such among the adolescents for quite a long time, until the loud and cumbersome clanking of Misato's old Toyota Corolla can be heard clamoring into the parking lot. Suzuhara and Aida quickly try to straighten out their appearances, while Shinji opts to come out of his self-made prison. Asuka and Hikari, meanwhile, remain out of sight upon her entry.)

Misato (entering): Hey, guys. (shielding herself with the door) I've got something for you guys!

Shinji (puzzled): A gift?

Misato (biting her lower lip and smiling impishly): Maybe...

Asuka (lumbering in): Hey, Misato, what gives? I'm trying to study.

Misato (snappily): Fine, then, I'll keep YOUR present.

Asuka (apologetic): Hey! No, I didn't mean anything by that. (laughing nervously) You know, trying to do well in school and all that.

Misato (smiling): You were just goofing off and talking about Touji and Shinji in there with Hikari. I heard you through the wall.

Asuka (flustered): ...

Touji&Kensuke: MISATO! MAJOR KATSURAGI!

Misato (winking): Hi, boys! (giving a peace sign)

Touji&Kensuke (feigning a swoon): Oooooooh...

Shinji (getting impatient): Stop teasing, Misato!

Misato (looking hurt): Fine, I'll show you. (opening the door) Well? What do you think?

(Misato reveals Pen-Pen, the warm water penguin that serves as the mascot of the group. He is carrying two cards - gift certificates to the hottest clothing store in town. Asuka squeals with delight, but Shinji looks slightly disappointed as she snatches both from Pen-Pen's grasp. Misato comes over and squats next to Shinji, trying to read his reaction.)

Shinji (puzzled): Where's...my gift?

Misato (smiling): Asuka took yours, but I'll get it back from her.

Shinji (looking down): Oh. Thank you, Misato.

Misato (noticing): What's wrong, Shinji?

Shinji (looking up and feigning excitement): Nothing, Misato! Thanks, really. I love it.

Misato (smiling ruefully): No, no. I can tell. You don't like it, huh?

Shinji (reciprocating her gesture): Am I that transparent?

Kensuke (snorting): Like a wet tissue, Ikari. C'mon, Touji, we've got to get home before it gets too dark.

Misato (getting up): Hey! Guys, you need a ride?

Touji (getting anxious): We'd LOVE -

Kensuke (interrupting): - to accept, but no thanks. We've got passes on the train that expire tomorrow.

Touji (brow furrowing): No, we don't -

Kensuke (glaring and seething): Yes. We. Do.

Touji (scared): Oh. Yeah, I had, uh, forgotten. See you, Shinji.

Kensuke (resuming pleasant visage): Yeah, see you, Shinji. Bye, Asuka.

(Sohryu, absorbed in 'her gifts,' pays him no mind. She is rejoicing with Hikari and is already divvying up the exact monetary value between the two of them.)

Hikari (realizing): Didn't Misato get Shinji a present?

Asuka (stopping): Hmm...I think so.

Hikari: I didn't see Pen-Pen come in with anything else...maybe one of those is Shinji's?

Asuka (wild-eyed): Are you kidding!? That kid doesn't even SHOP for his own clothes, let alone BUY them!

Hikari (looking at her incredulously): Don't you even care to KNOW if Ikari got a gift?

Asuka (looking guilty): Of course...just, I, uh, got caught up in the moment.

Hikari (ushering her into the room): Well, c'mon! Go see!

(Meanwhile, Misato is trying to come up with a last-minute replacement gift without coming off as being half-hearted. She has been planning to get a gift for the children for a long time, but now she is starting to panic. Being a girl, she has always assumed that Shinji, Asuka, and herself would always like the same things. Misato is now racking her brain trying to come up with a present for the obviously disappointed Shinji.)

Misato (embarassed): Shinji, c'mon...you want to go out with me? Just you and me. We'll...go eat dinner, or something. See a movie.

Shinji (abashed): I couldn't do that, Misato...

Misato: Well, work with me! What do you want, Shinji? A new...game? A new S-DAT? (cursing under her breath) Knew I should've got you that...

Shinji (smiling weakly): Really, Misato, its fine. I don't want anything else - I'll just go shopping with Asuka.

Misato (looking at him suspiciously): Asuka wouldn't take you shopping if her life depended on it!

Asuka (entering, and looking firmly at the floor): Uh, Shinji...

Hikari (from behind her): Go on!

Asuka (flushing): Shinji, would you, uhm, like to go shopping with me and - oof! Scheist! (hushed) What was that for, Hikari!?

Hikari (whispering fiercely): Just ask him!

Asuka (clearing her throat): Would you like to go shopping with me? One-on-one, you know.

Shinji (flushed): ...

Misato (surprised): Well, I'll be damned. Open mouth, insert foot, huh, Ikari? (smiling) You guys will have a great time, I'm sure of it.

Misato (thinking): I hope to God she doesn't humiliate him.

Misato (winking): Well, maybe you deserve something else, too, for trying to take it easy on me.

(Before he can protest, Misato's face is in front of his, and her lips are upon his. His eyes widen, but subconscious etiquette suddenly forces them closed as she playfully darts her tongue onto his closed mouth. Before he can respond, she has released him.)

Misato (laughing): Wow, you've matured a lot, Shinji.

Shinji (bright red): ...

Asuka (thinking): Gott Im Heimmel...little bastard...! Thinking he can get all the women!

Shinji (blushing): Misato...that was nice, really, but...ah...well, thanks. (quickly retreating to his room)

Misato (laughing): Sleep well, Shinji - don't go to sleep thinking of anything else! (chuckling softly) That Ikari...so much different from his father. (suddenly growing stone-faced) Asuka, I've got something to tell you.

Asuka (jarred from thought): Huh? Oh. Sure, Misato.

Misato (quietly): Project-E is being put on immediate standby...and Unit-02 has been brought out of cryostasis. Unit-00 and Unit-01 have already been reprepared.

Asuka (looking worried): I don't understand.

Misato (leveling her eyes): I think Gendou is anticipating another Angel attack.

Asuka (shocked): But...it said...only 17...

Misato (looking away and grimacing): I know. But he's put us all on standby alert..and he said we're going to need all three Evangelions. That means you're going to need to come back into NERV with me.

Asuka (brightening): You mean it!?

Misato (puzzled): You're excited?

Asuka (masking): Err, well, sort of. Not really. Just uber-willing to get started again, you know. (laughing nervously)

Misato (cautious): Well, that's good. But I can't have Shinji or Rei getting paranoid, so I'm going to bring all three of you under the pretense of a heightened alert, okay? You're not to tell anyone - especially not Shinji.

Asuka (nodding her assent): Can do, Misato-san. But...why not Shinji?

Misato (wistfully looking away): He never really liked piloting Evangelion, anyway, Asuka...he doesn't share your enthusiasm. The only reason he goes on is to 'get even' with his father.

Asuka (quiet): Oh. I didn't know...I thought they were, you know, somewhat close, but in a private way.

Misato (incredulous): Gendou treats him like dirt, quite frankly.

Asuka (reflecting): So he grew up..?

Misato (trying to come off as indifferent): Bouncing around in different orphanages, you know.

Asuka (quiet): Yes, I do.

Misato: Didn't you know that?

Asuka (shaking her head): No, I never - (pausing) - never, err, took the time to find out.

Misato (chuckling): You should make an effort, Asuka. He's a great person...you'd better snatch him up, before Hikari does.

Asuka (snorting): Hikari's so obsessed with Touji she can't see straight. Besides, you're the only one who seems to be interested in Ikari.

Misato (playfully): So what if I am?

Asuka (surprised): You aren't serious!?

Misato (laughing): I'll never tell.

(With that, a few more inaudible words are uttered before the lights blink out and Misato and Asuka retreat to bed. Before falling asleep, Asuka steals away towards Shinji.)

Asuka (whispering): You...why?

Asuka: ...

Asuka (quietly): I hate you.

Shinji (stirring in his sleep): Asuka...

Asuka (gasping): Were you listening!?

Shinji (rolling): Asuka...

Shinji (snoring): Asuka...be...careful.

Asuka (sighing): Whew.

Shinji: ...

Asuka: I...wonder...(lowering her face to his) I mean, before, I hadn't really tried...

(Asuka Sohryu Langely quickly flees before she is tempted to connect with the Third Child. Her stumblings do not go unheard, however; Pen-Pen gives her a cockeyed look before she manages to make it to her bed.)

04-18-2003 7:17 AMChurch is offline Send an Email to Church Search for Posts by Church Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

(NEON REVELATION EVANGELION: REVELATION 0:4)

EPISODE THIRTY
<<Return/Artificial Clouds>>

(The next day.
We are given a shot of an eye opening. Its green-blue pooling color glimmers in the reflecting light, and as we zoom out, Asuka Sohryu's face comes into view. She is in her entry plug, just having exited synchronization and alignment tests. Ritsuko Akagi, the once-arrested doctor of NERV, is making her way over towards Maya Ibuki, whose head is buried in from of her control panel outside the confines of Asuka's simulation room. Hyuga Makoto, on the other hand, is quietly wiping off his glasses. Shigeru Aoba is strumming on an invisible guitar, but he quickly snaps into action when Ritsuko strides in. She flicks cursory glances at the three technicians before nodding to Maya.)

Ritsuko (grimacing): Ibuki.

Maya: Yes'm?

Ritsuko (cynically): I trust there have been no changes in the program?

Maya: No m'am.

Ritsuko (yawning): Then I'll be right back to where I started, won't I?

Maya (worriedly): I hope not.

Ritsuko (exhaling sharply): Well!

Maya (grinning, half-heartedly): Well, you know...

Shigeru (interrupting): The Second Child can barely even activate the Evangelion, Dr. Akagi. I don't think she's up to the task.

Ritsuko (smiling): Play that over the loudspeaker and her synch rate should shoot right up, no problem.

Hyuga (replacing glasses to his face): No, Dr. Akagi, I've got agree. Asuka's performance is pretty low. She's having trouble doing even basic tasks like moving, and aiming the pallet gun. She's getting a little better, but no real progress.

Ritsuko (arching a brow): Can she make it move?

Hyuga (swallowing): Well, yes, but -

Ritsuko (snorting): That's all Gendou needs her to do. If Unit-02 can act as a distraction, then Asuka will be our decoy.

Hyuga (under his breath): Why not just use another dummy plug, you cold -

Maya (angry): Shut up, Makoto!

Shigeru (clearing his throat): If we, uh, could get back to the task at hand, Doctor...

Ritsuko: Good way to keep a level head, Aoba...a rarity for you. (ignoring his sneer) Let's overview her performance, step by step. What part of the checklist took the longest to complete?

Shigeru: Well, animation and activation took the longest, but that was only slightly longer than normal - about 198 seconds. Her synch ratio closed in to the absolute borderline pretty quickly, but she didn't exactly do well in keeping her balance.

Ritsuko (puzzled): Was this a live exercise, or was she in the simulation?

Hyuga: Simulatory, m'am. But according to the MAGI, her level of basic function was lower than anticipated - she couldn't walk for another 164 seconds, and she nearly immediately lost her balance -

Ritsuko (sneering): She just got out of a coma, Hyuga. Don't talk about anticipation - I'm glad she's alive.

Hyuga (incredulous): You just said you'd be using her as a human decoy!

Ritsuko (screaming): I DON'T WANT THIS! COMMANDER IKARI BELIEVES THAT WE ARE IN CRITICAL DANGER, AND THAT ASUKA SOHRYU IS NEEDED TO SERVE. WHETHER SHE IS A DECOY OR NOT IS NOT AT MY DISCRETION!

Hyuga (not backing down, but quieter): Why'd you bother to come back, anyway!?

Ritsuko (calming): I haven't fulfilled all of my duties.

Shigeru (deep in thought): ...

Hyuga (drumming his fingers): So, Wonder Woman, how do we go about correcting the problems? I mean, its not like we can just jump-start Asuka's performance...she's really trying, but its not working...

Ritsuko (rolling her eyes up into her head): Well. You've posed a good question, Hyuga, but to be frank, I'm not sure what we can do. Vitals remains normal at all times?

Maya (cutting in): Well, aside from minor level increases in respiration and heart rate, she's totally fine. A little anxious, but I would be, too.

Ritsuko (nodding): So would I. But we've got to try to pinpoint the actual problem. Her confidence seems to be back in working order - perhaps she needs retraining?

Shigeru (shaking his head): Nope. Looks like she remembers it all - hot routes, escape positions, weapon reception locations...its like she still has Tokyo-3 memorized.

Ritsuko (clucking her tongue): Well...if she remembers everything...and her confidence is back...maybe its a motivational problem?

Hyuga (thinking, then speaking): I overheard the commander tell Misato to warn the children of new Angel attacks. She's got to be slightly motivated.

Ritsuko (not paying him any attention): Has she actually expressed anything other than anxiety about rejoining Project-E?

Maya (thinking, then speaking): ...no, I don't think so. She didn't really talk to us up here, though.

Hyuga (smirking): I'm not even sure if she remembers our names.

Shigeru (condescendingly): Well, face it - we're the supporting cast. The Commander, Sub-Commander, and the Children are the center stage.

Ritsuko (to herself): Not at all. They're only a facade...a distraction.

Hyuga (turning back to his monitor): Well, I'll run her through it again -

Ritsuko (facing him): No. Has Shinji been in the simulation yet?

Shigeru (surprised): No, no he hasn't. But I doubt his performance has suffered at all.

Ritsuko (facing Ibuki): What was his last known synchro ratio?

Maya (typing): ...uhm...somewhere around 89.365% during normal conditions.

Ritsuko: During combat?

Maya: Higher - almost 112%.

Hyuga (cocking an eyebrow): Are you certain? I thought it was a bit lower.

Maya (shaking her head): Nope. Nearly 112%.

Ritsuko (glancing around the room): Get Ayanami and Ikari into the simulation, and be sure to congratulate Asuka if she so much as comes within 20 feet of you. I've got to go see Commander Ikari - status report, you know. (exiting)

Hyuga: Pfft.

-------------------------------------------

(Asuka gets out of the entry plug and shakes some of the excess LCL out of her long, beautiful red hair. She cracks her knuckles and wriggles a bit as she gets chills. Pressing the trigger on her wrist, the plugsuit quickly expands from its former skin-tight fit. She departs for the showers as Rei and Shinji head for the simulation bay.
Asuka, however, remains the center feature of the picture.)

Asuka (wriggling out of her plugsuit): Hope I did okay today...

Ritsuko (striding past the showers): Excellent work today, Asuka - but you have room for improvement.

Asuka (stricken): Oh. Of course! Everyone does.

Ritsuko: Keep up the good work. (exiting)

Asuka (thinking): ...when did she get back?

Asuka (thinking): Oh well. No concern of mine. I've just got to remain focused, that's all...and besides, I'll probably do better than Ayanami and Ikari. I'm still the best.

(Meanwhile - back in the control room of Terminal Dogma...
Hyuga is leering into his screen, as are Shigeru and Maya. Hyuga wipes off his glasses and shakes his head, slightly looking amazed.)

Hyuga (replacing his glasses): Shinji's synch rate is holding steady at 89%. Initiating combat settings...activated. Alright, what should I throw at him, Fearless Leader?

Maya (smirking): Well, let's give the Third Child a run for his money. Try tossing Evangelion Unit-00 into the simulator - against him.

Shigeru (raising a brow): The Evangelions will never fight each other - I don't see the point in this exercise.

Maya: Well, who better to help Shinji bone up on his skills?

Hyuga (ignoring her): I put in three Angels simultaneously.

(Shinji, inside a non-inserted simulatory entry plug, is trying to deal with the prospect of an onslaught of three Angels. His facial expression is tense and worried, but his eyes are firey and burning. He has a pallet gun in hand, his thumb hovering right over the right-hand control stick's trigger. When the Third Angel, Sachiel, rises out of seemingly thin air, he swiftly twists Evangelion Unit-01's torso into proper aiming position and depresses the firing trigger.)

Shinji (yelling): Yaaaaaargh! Die!

Maya (over radio): Alright, Shinji, your accuracy and reaction speed were spot on. But...let's see...

(Suddenly, three Sachiels burst in front of Shinji's eyes. He reacts quickly, but before he can fire, one of the Angels is upon him, tearing the pallet gun from his hands.)

Shinji (surprised): Wha-!? Hey! Maya! Sachiel wasn't that fast!

Maya (sternly): Shut up and do the exercise, Ikari.

Shinji (sighing): No problem.

(Whirling to face his first attacker, Shinji quickly sidesteps a powerful fist aimed at his skull. Maneuvering behind the Angel, Unit-01's shoulder-panel slides open and reveals his progressive knife. Quickly unsheathing it and activating it, he smirks inside his plug.)

Shinji (yelling): Let's see how you like...THIS!

Hyuga (over the radio): Maya, his prog knife is out. Activated, too.

Maya (smugly): Let him have his little knife. Three Angels should more than overwhelm Ikari.

Hyuga (sarcastically): Yeah, sure. Anyway, they're set on a vitality rate of 0% - one hit, and they're toast, Maya.

Maya (angrily): Well, crank up the difficulty!

(By this time, Shinji has lodged his progressive knife in the throat of the last Angel. It, like the other two before it, vanishes after a crackle of static. Quickly retrieving his pallet gun, Shinji decides to talk back.)

Shinji (smiling): Well, Miss Maya, looks like I more than took care of - argh!

(Shinji whirls to face his attacker - Evangelion Unit-00.)

Shinji (surprised): Huh!? What the hell...?

(A fierce battle ensues as Unit-00 ambushes Unit-01 again. Not understanding what's going on, Shinji fails to react. When he finally remembers that he won't actually hurt Rei by attacking, it is too late - Unit-00's pistol has discharged seven shots into the torso of Unit-01, ripping through its back and Shinji's simulatory entry plug.)

04-18-2003 7:17 AMChurch is offline Send an Email to Church Search for Posts by Church Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Shinji (cursing the static screen in front of him): Ah...damn it!

Maya (smugly): What? Is the Third Child buckling?

Shinji (angrily): C'mon! I'd never hurt Rei!

Maya (mysteriousky): You might have to, one day.

Shinji (still mad): What the hell is that supposed to mean!?

Maya (shrugging it off): What if Unit-00 goes berserk? What if an Angel decides to inhabit it? What will you do then?

Shinji (snappily): Save Rei, that's what I'd do. Unless you plan to use a dummy plug!

Maya (quietly): Don't bring that up.

Shinji (angrily): Ah, whatever! (getting out of the plug)

(Shinji repeats Asuka's motions - he scrubs his hair to try to dislodge all LCL before expanding his skin-tight plugsuit and moping over towards the showers. To his surprise, Asuka is there waiting for him, clothed only in a towel.)

Asuka (cockeyed): So. How'd it go, Third Child?

Shinji (reclusive): Don't want to talk about it.

Asuka (pouting): Wow, you really must've done poorly.

Shinji (angry): Maya pulled a fast one on me! It wasn't my fault.

Asuka (innocently): What'd she do?

Shinji (calming): ...she sent Unit-00 to attack me.

Asuka (thinking): They did combat simulations!?

Asuka: Well, how'd that go for you?

Shinji (grinning weakly): It kicked my butt. I didn't react at all, and she - I mean, it just opened up on me.

Asuka (chiding): You lose focus, and bada-bing, you're out. You've got to be more...aware, Shinji. (chuckling) You know...

Shinji (sarcastically): More like you?

Asuka (fuming): So what is that supposed to mean!?

Shinji (smirking): Oh, nothing. Just...you know.

Asuka (haughty): Well, glad to see that you respect me now.

Shinji (flushing): ...

Asuka (laughing): You don't have a chance in hell with me, Ikari.

Shinji (defensive): Maybe I just said what I did to make you feel better!

Asuka (hiding her hurt): Maybe you did.

Shinji: ... (embarassed) I didn't mean that last bit.

Asuka (looking at the floor): ...

Shinji (slowly): I...uh...I really do, uh, kinda like, you know...

Asuka: ...?

Shinji (uncertainly): I, uhm, like you. A lot. You know. Hormones, I guess.

Asuka (grinning): That's it? You just want me?

Shinji (flustered): No, that's not it, I want...I...(stopping).

Asuka (faintly smiling): ...

(A long and awkward silence follows.)

Shinji (wriggling out of his plug suit): Don't look, now.

Asuka (with a snort): Yeah, right, dummkopf! I'm not desperate, or anything.

(And so, Asuka departs quickly).

(Meanwhile, much later, back in her nearly empty apartment, Rei Ayanami is puzzling over the events that happened today. Her sleeplessness has not gotten any better, however, and her thoughts once again return to her dreams.)

Rei (thinking): Commander...Ikari. What should I...do? Now?

Rei: ...

Rei (thinking): I don't know what I'm supposed to be...living...like... I'm just not one of those normal people.

(Suddenly, her dreamlike state is invaded by a startlingly bloody Evangelion Unit-01. It is tearing into another Evangelion...Unit-02. With a sickening crunch and a shrill scream, Unit-02's arm is torn off, and Unit-01 quickly begins augmenting its mangling with bludgeoning blows from the arm. Rei sees herself, on the ground, staring up in utter shock at the two Evangelions. Fleeing, she whirls to her right, and sees...
-a boy.
He has brown eyes, and mangy, long brown hair. He is much taller than the other children, but she can feel with surety that he is just like them - that he is also one of the children.
Rei backs up from him, but before she can fully retreat, she can hear his calm voice.
"Rei - where do you think you can run to? Commander Ikari?" he inquires. "Forget that. He doesn't really care about you...he's demented, you know? Crazy. The elevator no longer goes up to the top floor. Can you believe he had you mass-produced!?"
Rei seethes with anger and charges at him, her hands balled into fists. Just as she is about to connect on her punch, the boy has vanished. He reappears on Eva-01's shoulder, which has now stopped mangling Unit-02 -

-Unit-01 is now _eating_ Unit-02.

With a soundless whimper, Rei stares with hatred at the new figure.
"C'mon, Ayanami!" he goads. "You couldn't possibly have believed that you could live out your fantasies! You're a product, no better than this destroyed avatar for Asuka."
"Shut up!" Rei cries.
"Nope," the boy taunts. "You've got to listen to me, or you'll just watch all of this again. And again. Only, maybe once it will be real. And you won't know what to do."
"SHUT UP!" she cries again.
"You've got to listen, Rei. That's...Asuka," he says, motioning with a twist of his neck to Unit-02. "That's her, alright. In less than three weeks, she will be catfood for Unit-01. Shinji Ikari will kill her in less than three weeks! Do you know what it's like to KNOW what your one hope's demise will look like!?"
Rei is silent.
"Do you know Asuka's importance? She is..." he starts.
Rei nods. "He loves her."
"Very good. You're beginning to catch on, Rei. You know of Instrumentality - not nearly what it's higher goals are, but you know of it, am I right?"
Rei nods in assent.
"Good. I was thinking so. The others - Shinji? Asuka? They know, too." This was a statement, not a question. "Ikari knows what you are, too - but not like me. I know EXACTLY what you are."
Rei whimpers, "My other dreams...were...not like this at all!"
The boy, smirking, calls back, "Forget those dreams as you would forget a passing wind! SEELE is coming, and they intend to go through with it - really do it, you know." He is gritting his teeth now, but Rei doesn't know why.
"Do what? I don't know!" Rei screams.
"Such a violent display of emotion from the Ice Queen. That's what Shinji used to call you, you know, behind your back."
Rei is silent again. She silently damns the boy for so effectively resuming command of the dialogue.
"The Strategic Self Defense Forces will be with SEELE - they will be united, as one front. Your NERV's paltry force of three Evangelions will pale in comparison with their firepower. Not even the enigmatic NERV will be able to withstand N2 mines...
"Nor will they be able to stand nine Evangelions."
"So," Rei begins. "SEELE has Evangelion, already?"
"Of course!" the boy retorts, incredulous. "What do you mean? NERV and SEELE are nearly one and the same, Ayanami. Don't feign ignorance."
"How many...nine!?"
"Not to mention Jet Alone and those blasted mines," the boy says casually. His piercing gaze flicks to her, and she cannot help but give a muffled cry of shock. His red eyes shimmer with a brilliance not unlike her own. "I'm surprised that your true self hasn't show itself yet. You've got those...eyes. Just like him, you know. And me."
Kaworu Nagisa juts into view, uninvited.
"I know that I will die, no matter what," the boy sighs. "I've been through every possible scenario. If Shinji doesn't kill me - and that rests entirely on your shoulders - again, if Shinji doesn't kill me, Jet Alone and the SEELE Evas will. Even if they somehow are defeated..." He says this with a dismissive wave of his hand. "Shinji will help cause the Third Impact. I'm sure of it. Y'see, the only way I get to pilot Evangelion is because Asuka, you know, goes the way of the dodo and duckbilled platypus - according to my own dreams, of course...which have been wrong, before."
Rei gasps at his cruel humor.
"Don't act so shocked - I know you secretly hate her, too," he sneers. "You might not like the truth, but the least you can do is face it."
Rei averts her face.
"You might hate me too, but that is irrelevant. In order for you to save humanity - which is ironic, considering what you are..." he trails off again. "In order for you to save us, you've got to find away to keep Asuka alive. Difficult, huh? I know. You've got keep her alive, or he'll do it - I'm not kidding. He _will_ go through with it."
She looks up at him, confused.
"What he'll do is, see, is end humanity as you and I know it - you wouldn't want to rob your very son of the priveleges you once had? As a regular person, who could grow, love, feel? Anyway. You've got to keep Asuka alive. I'll help you out when I show up, but until then, keep her in good health. Sickness, injury, whatever. Comply with her every request. I'd HATE your job; I hate her, quite frankly, but Ikari's...fallen. And hey, I'm just the messenger," he says with a shrug. "Keep Asuka alive. I'm telling you - it's in your best interest. When I do show up, you've got to stay quiet about all this. Like it never happened. Otherwise, Kihl will catch on." He grits his teeth again. "Hmph. God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world..." he says sarcastically.
"Alright, Rei. Get some rest. Remember - Asuka, alive. And quiet! Don't tell the Commander, especially - for all his knowledge, he's still more or less a little behind the game I'm orchestrating."
Rei looks up in surprise at this.
"Don't worry - my game is to keep humanity on this Earth, if only for a little longer. Prolonging the inevitable is what I'm good at, you know?" he smiles. "Get some rest, Rei."
And she does.)

04-18-2003 7:18 AMChurch is offline Send an Email to Church Search for Posts by Church Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

(NEON REVELATION EVANGELION: REVELATION 0:5)

EPISODE THIRTY-ONE
<<Testament of a Madman/Shopping for a Vowel?>>

(Asuka and Shinji are forced again to be alone, in a setting completely foreign to them - at least, to one of them. Asuka is currently trying her best to keep a good temperament as Shinji stares blankly at the stores she has been bringing him into. His passive, apathetic attitude towards his apparel baffles Asuka to the point of anger, but she smiles whenever she can. She drags him into the store they were given certificates for, and quietly lets him wander off on his own. He doesn't seem genuinely interested in anything, but he walked into the store to begin with - a good sign, in Asuka's opinion.)

Asuka (thinking): I thought I'd never get a chance to get him something. Schiest.

Asuka (thinking): Well...I wonder if he'd appreciate that shirt? (walking over to it daintily) I should stop being so self-conscious!

(Meanwhile, Shinji is wandering around in the very same store, but he isn't looking at clothes. Near the checkout, he notices something that grabs his attention, and he finds that he cannot draw his stare away from it.)

Shinji (staring at the paperback version of the "Joy of Sex"): ...

Clerk (sauntering over): What's caught your eye, kid?

Shinji (flushing red): Oh, uh, nothing. Just zoning out, that's all.

Clerk (smirking): People are smarter than you give 'em credit for. I see what you're looking at.

Shinji (averting his eyes): Oh.

Clerk (laughing): Go on. Take it.

Shinji (fretfully): Aw, no, I couldn't -

Clerk (chuckling): I figure you're ogling it for a reason. So go on...hurry up. I'll ring it up for you.

Shinji (stammering): H-how m-much?

Clerk (still laughing): Free of charge, my main man. Maybe you'll try some of those moves out on...(looking)...that cutie, right there! (whistling) Man, if I was your age, she would've been jailbait, my friend.

(Shinji nearly chokes on his own saliva as the man points Asuka out of the crowd. Suddenly, he is second-guessing his decision to take the book; had this been an anime, he would've face-vaulted.)

Clerk (dismayed): Aw, now, don't be so dismal! You see a cutie like that, you bust a move, man.

Shinji (quickly stuffing the book into a bag): Oh, and, uh, I'll take two of these. (holding up candies)

Clerk (winking): Pr-ee-eetty covert, my man. Good thinking. (ringing up the change) That'll be...

Shinji (quickly handing him the certificate): Uh, here.

Clerk (nodding): Alright. Well, I'll just take this, and you can keep the book. We'll call it even.

Shinji (smiling faintly): Ah, thanks.

(Shinji quickly retreats and walks over towards Asuka. The Clerk quickly stares in amazement as Shinji starts following her around like a lost puppy, and he shouts over to Shinji.)

Clerk: Hey! Kid! Don't be so abrupt!

Shinji (blushing, and ducking his head): Oh, God...

Asuka (ahead of him): You find something you like, Shinji?

Shinji (quickly): Oh yeah! And I got you something, too. (producing the candy bag for her)

Asuka (glowing): Oooh! I've always had a sweet tooth, haven't I? (quickly pocketing the candy) Thanks, Ikari...what'd you do to 'em?

Shinji (alarmed): Nothing! I swear!

Asuka (eyes narrowed playfully): They'd better not be poisoned, Third Child.

Shinji (indignant): Pfft! Oh please! Like I'd go through that trouble to harm you!

(The Clerk, who can't hear this trade off, is literally bawling in laughter at the exchange between the two pilots. Shinji glares, and the man stops abruptly, whistling. Shinji quickly stomps out of the store, and Asuka quickly stamps after him, infuriated.)

Shinji (outside): Of all the low-down, dirty -

Asuka (huffing): - foul-minded, pig-headed -

Shinji (puffing): - arrogant, egocentric -

Asuka (huffing): - why, I should -

Shinji&Asuka (yelling): YOU'RE IMPOSSIBLE!

(Far away from the troubles of the two young teenagers, Rei Ayanami is doing some investigating of her own. Walking down the nearly deserted hallways of NERV, she has come upon a top-secret clearance-level door. Unfortunately, after swiping her security card several times, the door denies her entrance. She stares at the door with confounded confusion before walking on, looking at all of the top-clearance doors. Looking from door to door, Rei can only see one unlocked door - so she sprints for it.)

Rei (thinking): I wonder...maybe...?

(Inside the door, Rei can hear Commander Gendou Ikari, Ritsuko Akagi and Kozou Fuyutsuki talking.)

Gendou (muffled): Doctor, I believe you know why you're back on staff.

Ritsuko (angry): Yes.

Gendou (seething): Don't get offended, Doctor. This is your doing to begin with.

Ritsuko (sighing): Yes.

Gendou (coolly): Implementing Instrumentality has come upon a few...obstacles.

Ritsuko (nodding): I expected as much. You'd need Unit-01, the Lance, and Lilith...and the Lance is out in orbit.

Gendou (assenting): Yes. But we've got other problems.

Ritsuko (snorting): Like what?

Gendou (quietly): Doctor, you must leave.

Ritsuko (gasping): ...(exits)

(Rei, observing the conversation, hides in the crook of darkness generated by the opening door - not that it would've mattered. After watching Ritsuko stumble out nearly bleeding with anger, Rei gets the feeling she could've stepped on the doctor's foot and not have been noticed.)

Gendou (still emotionless): Do you want to hear, Fuyutsuki?

Fuyutsuki (breathlessly): Yes.

Gendou (quietly): Then you're sworn to confidentiality.

(There is a long pause.)

Gendou (quietly): Yui...s-she...(coughing) Yui didn't want it, you know.

Fuyutsuki (gently): Commander, I understand.

Gendou (furious): No... (calming) I don't think anyone understands. I want...to be...with her.

Fuyutsuki (nodding): I know, Ikari.

Gendou (ashamedly): But those are selfish desires. What of Shinji? What of...Rei? Do they really want this? Yui is...(sniffing) Yui was, was right. Life as we know it now will end, Doctor. They will be robbed of all life. Yui's death is enough on my conscience. Shinji, and Rei...even if I only had that knowledge for an instant, I think it would kill me.

Fuyutsuki (surprised): So...you don't want to go through with it? Commander, that would mean defying SEELE -

Gendou (chuckling mirthlessly): I've already been deemed a threat. I'm not going through with it, Doctor - not their way. SEELE knows. The JSSDF knows. They'll be attacking us shortly, I believe...and I need your help.

Fuyutsuki (breath catching): ...

Gendou (quietly): Rei, come in, please.

(At this, Ayanami nearly faints from anxiety. Privately, she had an idea that Gendou knew she was there, but she had hardly expected him to call her on it. Timidly, she enters the room...and she is surprised to find it totally bare. Only white walls and a white floor lie in the antechamber - she can see a door that undoubtedly leads further into terminal dogma.)

Rei (emotionless): Yes, Commander?

Gendou (quietly): The same deal I struck with Fuyutsuki applies to you, as well.

Rei (nodding slowly): Yes, Commander.

Gendou (looking at her directly): Rei, tell me. Do you think that there's no longer any threat to mankind??

Rei (confused): Commander, you'd said -

Gendou (sternly): Rei.

Rei (thinking, then speaking): I don't believe we're quite safe, no.

Gendou (nodding): I knew it. They're not totally gone yet, are they?

Fuyutsuki (puzzled): But, sir, the Dead Sea Scrolls -

Gendou (impatiently): Proved to be slightly inaccurate. Not to mention the fact that we haven't yet found the full record.

Fuyutsuki: Commander, you know what this means.

Gendou (nodding): Rei, you know you cannot tell anyone.

Rei (nodding): Yes, Commander.

Gendou (concentrating): Rei. My God. (looking up) Rei, should I? Should I do this? Please, Yui...tell me.

(A change suddenly overtakes Rei, if only for an instant. Her normal cool exterior is broken by a congenial face. Her eyes change..she is no longer Rei Ayanami.)

Rei (serenely): Gendou, you will do what you know is right. I know it!

Gendou (bursting into tears): Yui!

Fuyutsuki (wide-eyed): Good Lord...

(Rei quickly snaps back to her previous self, although she seems dazed. Ritsuko and Gendou both know that Yui has once again faded away.)

Gendou (crying): Yui, I'm nothing without you...Yui...!

Fuyutsuki: Commander...I'll...(looking away)...be dismissing myself. Come, Rei.

Rei (nodding): Yes, sir.

(Meanwhile, in the Mt. Fuji Outpost 0032, two technicians are leering at their monitors in amusement. They've recieved a message from the NERV asking them to check out weather conditions on the mountains and near the Tokyo-3 area, and, begrudgingly, they accept.)

Tech (aggravated): Blast. No more Angels, so NERV turns us into a weather service...alright. Relay messages back to NERV and SSDF HQ about a little weird happenings up in the mountain region - nothing to worry about yet.

Tech 2: Yes, sir.

(At NERV, Fuyutsuki is still acting commander while Gendou collects himself. The red line phone rings, and he picks up, albeit a bit angrily.)

Fuyutsuki (angry): If I had wanted such information, I would've...oh. (sneering) Right. (hanging up)

Fuyutsuki (thinking): Blast. No more Angels, so the SSDF turns us into a weather service.

(Meanwhile, down below, in terminal dogma, Maya Ibuki and Hyuga Makoto are panicking.)

Maya (screaming): Blue pattern detected at point DF7854, in the Mt. Fuji region!

Hyuga (repeating into a loudspeaker): All NERV personnel, report to assigned areas now. I repeat, all NERV personnel...

04-18-2003 7:19 AMChurch is offline Send an Email to Church Search for Posts by Church Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

(Shinji and Asuka are on their way home, now, obviously caught up in yet another argument. Oddly, the pair fails to see what is happening around them as the air rapidly gets colder. Soon, they can see each other's breaths in the air, and a shiver runs down Asuka. Finally, recognition dawns on them as they walk down the now-freezing street. Soon, much to their dismay, snow begins falling in droves, quickly overwhelming the two youngsters. However, Shinji tries to huddle closer to Asuka, keeping their temperature up with body heat.)

Asuka (shivering): W-what the hell's going on?

Shinji (rubbing his arms): I dunno...why's it so cold?

Asuka (gritting her teeth): Y-yargh, I should've worn s-something more insulated.

Shinji (removing his thin jacket): H-here, Asuka.

(Asuka looks at him for a minute, puzzled at his own sacrifice. Before she can accept, Misato's familiar "clank-clank-rattle-clank" roars into view. She pre-empts the sirens of Tokyo-3.)

Misato (rolling down her window): Guys! Get in! We've got an Angel attack!

Shinji (in shock): W-what!?

Asuka (determined): All right! Let's roll, Misato! (quickly jumping into the passenger's seat)

Shinji (still shocked): Angel attack!?

Misato (impatient): I'll explain on the way over!

Asuka (still cold): Why no s-sirens, Misato?

Misato (frustrated): Tell that fool to get in here, Asuka!

(With that, Shinji quickly gets into the cramped back seat of the car as Misato speeeds off, in the same direction she arrived from.)

Misato (huffing): No siren because it's not moving, Asuka.

Asuka (puzzled): What? Another premature Angel?

Misato (shaking her head): Nope. Different. This thing just doesn't want to move...and when we get near it, it just turns up the volume on this snowstorm!

Shinji (exclaiming): The Angel's causing the snowstorm!?

Misato (nodding): Uh-huh. But that's not all - Rei's already tried attacking it, but it's no good. That thing's AT-Field seems particularly adapted to close-range combat - seems like the Angel can expand it's AT-Field and push Unit-00 away before it can engage.

Asuka (mostly to herself): And you can't shoot at it from a distance because of the conditions.

Misato (nodding): Right. Now, there's another problem, too - even with the umbilical cable, you've only got about twenty minutes out in that weather before your Eva will freeze up. Our equipment wasn't made to handle something like this, you know.

Shinji (to Misato): So, now we've got to fight it with just twenty minutes of power!?

Misato (glumly): Yup. I've already run a few preliminaries past the MAGI, and the probabilities of success all turn up lower than 10%.

Asuka (snorting): Great.

Misato (snapping into seriousness): No time for sarcasm! Let's MOVE!

(Misato's car slams into the elevator designed for such vehicles and the doors promptly slam shut.)

04-18-2003 7:21 AMChurch is offline Send an Email to Church Search for Posts by Church Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

(WARNING: Due to sexually explicit themes and heavy violence, Episodes 32 and 33 ("Two As One/Impregnable Fortress" and "Beautiful Deception") have been omitted from the series. Apologies. Summary is this; 18th Angel "Fafiel" can manipulate the weather, and does so, limiting the options for Evangelions since they're not designed to withstand such an environment (freezing wasteland tundra). Shinji and Asuka get deployed and subsequently frozen. Rei deploys, loses, and freezes - Unit-01 goes berserk and messily dispatches Fafiel. Happy ending for everybody! - 'cept of course the Eighteenth Angel...not so happy for him. And not such a great ending for the reader, who is probably only reading this for the lemony stuff. o.o- MHZ)

04-18-2003 7:22 AMChurch is offline Send an Email to Church Search for Posts by Church Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

(Actually...if XP gives me the "a-okay," I'll go ahead and post those other two episodes. If not, then, well - no dice, perverslings.)

04-18-2003 7:23 AMChurch is offline Send an Email to Church Search for Posts by Church Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

(And, uh, I've got more, but my fingers hurt from cutting and pasting directly from Notepad+. Guh! So, until I get word one way or the other, I'll hold off on the rest.
-Ciao!)

04-21-2003 4:21 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

...well, I give the a-okay if anything. I mean, we say fuck and bitch and cock..and Chris posted the convo about him wanting head, so.... o.o

Bill Murray: Don't think about your errors or failures; otherwise, you'll never do a thing.

04-21-2003 4:30 AMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I'd have to see it first.
04-22-2003 7:07 AMChurch is offline Send an Email to Church Search for Posts by Church Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Okay - before I go on, did both of you actually read the story!?
Good Christ, you two would be the very LAST people I'd pick to actually read my crap (!).
And, uh, XP, how would you like me to send 'em to ya? E-mail...PM...what?

04-22-2003 7:39 AMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

PM.
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 next » ... last »« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Coffee Table Book - Writings  » Neon Revelation Evangelion