What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Maestro - Music  » Here's an odd band for ya, Buckethead» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Here's an odd band for ya, Buckethead
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
05-10-2005 7:51 AMZed the Dead is offline Send an Email to Zed the Dead Homepage of Zed the Dead Search for Posts by Zed the Dead Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
"who's this guitar-playing sonsa bitch?", is a question common asked.
On his head a bucket of chicken bones, on his face a plaster mask.
He's the bastard son of a preacher man, on the town he left a stain.
They made him live in a chicken house to try to and hide the shame.

He was born in a coop, raised in a cage. children fear him, critics rage.
He's half alive, he's half dead. folks just call him buckethead.

Farmers would torment him as he snuggled with the hens.
They'd hose him down with water, and steal his little friends.
Now late at night he'd sneak off to the graveyard all alone,
And play a soapbox guitar to the faces made of stone.

Buckethead found his freedom at the age of 17,
When he burned the chicked house down with a quart of gasoline.
He did puppet shows on corners and bought a real guitar,
And with the help of colonel sanders, he's bound to be a star.

He was born in a coop, raised in a cage. children fear him, critics rage.
He's half alive, he's half dead. folks just call him buckethead.

Primus - The Ballad Of Buckethead

Here's All Music's biography for Buckethead:

Quote:
Biography by Sean Cooper

Buckethead is one of the most bizarre and enigmatic figures in American underground and experimental music since Parliament-Funkadelic birthed their bevy of cosmic characters in the mid-'70s. An accomplished multi-instrumentalist best known for his virtuosic command of the electric guitar, Buckethead is one of the instrument's most recognizable contemporary innovators, his rapid-fire riffing, near-robotic fretwork, and idiosyncratic lead lines combining elements of Yngwie Malmsteen, Adrian Belew, Slayer's Kerry King, P-Funk's Eddie Hazel, and avant-improv artist John Zorn's Scud-attack sax abuse. His first group, the San Francisco-based metal-funk combine the Deli Creeps, were a regional success, but disbanded before they could release anything. Buckethead's solo career has been more productive, thanks mostly to the motivation of Zorn and Bill Laswell, the latter of whom Buckethead has also recorded and toured with in Praxis. Laswell has also produced a number of Buckethead's solo albums (including Dreamatorium and Day of the Robot) and included him on more than a dozen one-off recordings with the likes of Hakim Bey, Bootsy Collins, Anton Fier, Jonas Hellborg, and Bernie Worrell. In addition to releases including 1998's Colma, Buckethead has also contributed soundtrack material to such films as Last Action Hero and Street Fighter. Buckethead returned in 1999 with Monsters and Robots, after which he joined the short-lived reformation of Guns N' Roses. A steady stream of releases followed into the 21st century ranging from the contemplative Electric Tears to more electronica/rock hybrid, and collaborations with San Francisco's underground hip-hop scene.

(Find full biography on All Music’s site here)

Take Primus, throw in some Coldplay, add a touch of Slayer’s thrash style guitar & drum work, throw in a little taste of underground hip-hop and you get Buckethead. Now to those of you who’ve just read that and gone “Eeew, Hip-Hop,” don’t be too quick to judge Buckethead’s oddity and mixture in styles. There’s a lot to appreciate from this band (maybe the fact that Buckethead’s one of the greatest guitarists of our time). Buckethead and Primus share the same drummer, Brain (who's really damn good, let me tell you) and Les Claypool (lead singer from Primus) has made some vocal & bass appearances on a few of Buckethead's songs. Besides the tracks Les Claypool shows up in, Buckethead's almost entirely instrumental (with the exception of a few of their albums). Describing this band would almost be impossible as a whole, which is why I'll describe their sound based on their different albums (from the ones I've heard, of course).

Colma,
Colma's a very odd album that has a bit of a Coldplay feel to it but it's done by Buckethead (who does everything on the album except the drums) and Brain.

Cuckoo Clocks Of Hell,
Nothing but pure intense guitar riffs and drumming with mixed and odd sounds inbetween (even some jazz). There aren't any vocals what so ever in this album. This album reminds me a lot of what I meant when I said if you took Primus and mixed in some Slayer. This album doesn't display most of Buckethead's better talent as an insane guitarist, but it's still damn enjoyable if you like Slayer or Primus. From start to finish I must say I enjoy this album a lot.

Monsters & Robots,
I no longer have this album (note that I did NOT get rid of it because I didn't like it) so it will be a bit harder to describe it. It has a lot of very slow ambient tunes mixed with metal and a few hip-hop tracks. In each of the metal songs where you get to hear Buckethead playing, he tears it up on his guitar. Buckethead's guitar work on this album seems to me to be reaching about approximately 20 notes a second WHILE keeping a very artistic flavor to the guitar work and music (using his 8 finger tap method, of course). The solos in this album are a step beyond fast, they're ****ing fast. This doesn't mean that the solos aren't enjoyable or just random idiotic notes at high speeds, they're incredibly well done. IN FACT, some of guitar playing I've ever heard can be found on this album. If you're new to Buckethead and want to check 'em out, I suggest this album.

Funnel Weaver,
I’ve only got to listen to this album once or twice but from what I’ve heard it’s a bit like their Cuckoo Clocks Of Hell album. It’s all instrumental, it never goes too hip-hoppy or metal, instead it keeps a nice genre blend but isn’t probably as fast and intense as the Cuckoo Clocks Of Hell album is. This album has a very Primus-esque feel to it but does include some hip-hop drumming and sound (which isn’t all that bad, actually).

Cobra Strike – 13th Scroll,
I’ve never fully listened to this album either but I do enjoy the guitar work on the track 7th Hall / 6th Door as the whole song’s one big solo and it’s fairly well done. Inferno’s pretty melodic and a good listen. Other than that the rest of the tracks I’ve heard are just weird genre mixing blends of Buckethead’s madness.

Bucketheadland 2,
This album’s just hilarious. A lot of the tracks are just silly outtakes of insanity where Buckethead talks about working in a slaughterhouse, goes insane and butchers people. They’re a tid bit creepy but you can’t take them serious in Buckethead’s tone of voice. The rest of the tracks have once again that kind of Slayer sound to ‘em but are broken up quite frequently by odd noises and dialogue. The album’s not all that bad but it’s more comical than it is pleasing to the ears.

Of course there are quite a few other Buckethead albums I’ve listened to but I just thought that would be enough to give you a quick view on Buckethead’s odd music and insane guitar playing. Now be gone! VENTURE FORTH and discover the insanity for yourself!

02-21-2006 4:29 PMGaddes is offline Send an Email to Gaddes Search for Posts by Gaddes Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Indeed Bucket head is damn good. Masterful guitar work as well.

07-27-2006 1:33 AM¡Rush! is offline Send an Email to ¡Rush! Search for Posts by ¡Rush! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Buckethead isn't a band. His band was, when he was leader, called Cornbugs. Amopngst other bands. As we all know, he was with Guns 'N'Roses until he just got fed up with Axl continuously postponing the new album. He knew it wasn't going anywhere. For the record, check out either Électric Tears' or 'Monsters and Robots'. Both of them are fantastic albums, especially the former. It's all acoustic. The second one includes his insane 8 - finger tapping and shredding being put out alltogether. Also, his Les Paul (As if they weren't heavy enough) is a lot bigger than a normal one since he's so big. It's probably got an extended scale, too, since all of his stuff is played a half step down.

P.S. - As for Buckethead talking, he never talks. In fact, he's never spoken a single word to the public directly. The one you hear talking is the lead 'singer' from Cornbugs. I believe he also plays Otis in Devils Rejects. Buckethead 'talks'through a puppet, which is really a mask of a severed head.

This post has been edited; it was last edited by ¡Rush!: 07-27-2006 1:35 AM.

09-17-2006 7:40 PMThe Kvnt Vnt Kocksvcker is offline Send an Email to The Kvnt Vnt Kocksvcker Search for Posts by The Kvnt Vnt Kocksvcker Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Well there's some food for thought. But I can tell you don't like to read my posts. ;p I made clear that Buckethead isn't so much a band as the guitarist's solo project. He has had several recurring members throughout his history of releases though. So when we're talking Buckethead I assume Brain's on drums, etc. Things are changing now though and System of a Down's vocalist is now doing the vocals for his newer albums. o_O

09-17-2006 8:12 PMScott Pilgrim is offline Search for Posts by Scott Pilgrim Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

System of a Down sucks. Frown

09-17-2006 8:18 PMThe Kvnt Vnt Kocksvcker is offline Send an Email to The Kvnt Vnt Kocksvcker Search for Posts by The Kvnt Vnt Kocksvcker Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Indeed.. ;p

09-17-2006 9:31 PMScott Pilgrim is offline Search for Posts by Scott Pilgrim Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Agreement, 10/10!

You've earned yourself a break!

11-27-2012 1:27 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Buckethead is not a band

Brad: No. You don't understand. I've been dead for 35 years. Today is the day I live.

12-31-2012 10:03 PMManchester Devil is offline Send an Email to Manchester Devil Homepage of Manchester Devil Search for Posts by Manchester Devil Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I haven't listened to any of Buckethead's stuff but I'm going out on a limb and say wearing a KFC bucket does not equal weirdness.

R.I.P. Mother: 14/01/1955 - 03/04/2017

R.I.P. Brother: 22/01/1981 - 03/12/2018

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharp
It gets weirder too. I just realized...if..if he nailed her he technically had sex with everything and everyone on the internet. Including this forum.

Except he ALSO posts on this forum....so....so then is it masturbation? This is fucking trippy, how did I not realize this before.

Quote:
Originally posted by Holly
Your computer magically produces hentai?!

12-31-2012 11:15 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I want chicken.
12-31-2012 11:57 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Pearly Gates:
I want chicken.

There was just a KFC ad on and now I do too

X lets go get chicken, I'll be up there in three hours traffic not withstanding, brb.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

01-01-2013 12:13 AMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I had chicken tenders. Mm.
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Maestro - Music  » Here's an odd band for ya, Buckethead