What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Coffee Table Book - Writings  » George R.R. Martin pretty much sucks» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (6): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page George R.R. Martin pretty much sucks
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
05-29-2012 6:40 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

It's true!
05-29-2012 6:59 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I just happened to be watching a simpsons episode where that quote occured like right after I was reading this thread and I immediately thought "this is absolutely germane and I have to go post it"

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

01-22-2013 6:34 PMManchester Devil is offline Send an Email to Manchester Devil Homepage of Manchester Devil Search for Posts by Manchester Devil Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I find it funny looking back on some of these thread just how well liked Herb was at the time compared to the persona non grata status he 'enjoys' alongside Mav and Eddy today. Not sure about Nine though.

R.I.P. Mother: 14/01/1955 - 03/04/2017

R.I.P. Brother: 22/01/1981 - 03/12/2018

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharp
It gets weirder too. I just realized...if..if he nailed her he technically had sex with everything and everyone on the internet. Including this forum.

Except he ALSO posts on this forum....so....so then is it masturbation? This is fucking trippy, how did I not realize this before.

Quote:
Originally posted by Holly
Your computer magically produces hentai?!

01-22-2013 6:41 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Manchester Devil:
I find it funny looking back on some of these thread just how well liked Herb was at the time compared to the persona non grata status he 'enjoys' alongside Mav and Eddy today. Not sure about Nine though.

Herb turned out to be a hipster and thus an enemy of and affront to the republic/the forum/western civilization/christendom/nature. Not necessarily in that order maybe.

Nine's doing some kind of...podcast...something. I really only run into him when I rarely log into Book of Faces and generally then its just to talk movies. I'll probably speak with him again closer to the oscars because I'm already convinced zero dark thirty is going to get shafted.

(And oh boy is my oscar thread this year gonna have a rant, remember the "juno wins best screenplay oscar" incident? Double that probably.)

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

01-22-2013 6:50 PMManchester Devil is offline Send an Email to Manchester Devil Homepage of Manchester Devil Search for Posts by Manchester Devil Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Award ceremonies shouldn't be worth anyones time if truth be known because if you think about it, its mainly a circle jerk and a big party for a tiny percentage of actors, directors and producers with naff jokes and speeches that nobody would remember a year afterward. And does anyone even remember nine tenths of the films that do win an award?

Quote:
It gets weirder too. I just realized...if..if he nailed her he technically had sex with everything and everyone on the internet. Including this forum.

Except he ALSO posts on this forum....so....so then is it masturbation? This is fucking trippy, how did I not realize this before.

Quote:

01-22-2013 7:01 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Award ceremonies shouldn't be worth anyones time if truth be known because if you think about it, its mainly a circle jerk and a big party for a tiny percentage of actors, directors and producers with naff jokes and speeches that nobody would remember a year afterward. And does anyone even remember nine tenths of the films that do win an award?

Oh absolutely, you're preaching to the choir, I hate the oscars. I mainly just follow them to see if my projections are correct (I have a...70% or so accuracy rate, this time I'm kind of not sure but I'll go into that when I make my annual oscar thread. There is a possible dark horse outlier.) and to see how big of a fucking trainwreck the ceremony is.

Because it's pretty much always a goddamn trainwreck. I remember last year...well I was in the IRC with hol and we were both going like "what the fuck is this" when the bizarre cirque du solei dance number with like..I think her description was "guys dressed like don draper with bungee cords" started.

Also periodically something will happen like the juno fiasco when the idiot academy basically implied "this stripper is the equivalent of the writer of citizen kane!" and I got to feel righteous indignation, and that's always fun.

You left out the fact these awards are HYPER political. And I'm using the term political not in the sense of..you know, politics politics but in terms of the hollywood system. I heard someone describe it once as "picture a high school full of rich people electing class president" or something and yeah, its exactly as catty and bullshit as that.

Quote by Alizarin:

01-22-2013 7:09 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Sharp:
Quote by D:
Show isn't that great except for highlight scenes that capture the juicier bits of the books.

WHERE THE HELL ARE THOSE DEADWOOD TV MOVIES THEY SAID WOULD HAPPEN, HBO YOU LIED TO US DAMMIT.

I'd also like to reiterate this, AGAIN.

You gave lena fucking dunham two seasons of a show BUT YOU CAN'T SHELL OUT FOR LIKE...OKAY JUST ONE. ONE SINGLE LITTLE 90 MINUTE THING TO WRAP UP DEADWOOD. I'LL SETTLE FOR THAT.

Don't tell me "Oh but the creator has moved on", you've clearly seen "john from cincinnati" because you greenlit the thing, so you know he's mildly insane. Just drug him or bribe him or whatever, I'm sure he'll do it.

If you didn't keep airing stuff like real time with bill maher and that john adams miniseries, or movies I hadn't gotten to see, I'd totally cancel my subscription HBO. This is like being trapped in a bad relationship or something, just when you want to leave oh suddenly something good will happen.

Quote by Alizarin:

01-22-2013 7:26 PMManchester Devil is offline Send an Email to Manchester Devil Homepage of Manchester Devil Search for Posts by Manchester Devil Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

You would've thought once everyone leaves education, they would let go of all the idiocy that comes with the growing pains and reciting all kinds of stuff that doesn't have any relevance outside the school walls but no, they want to bring that bullshit along with them and its sad we're still stuck with all the pseudopolitical nonsense that pollutes civilisation like Deepwater Horizon doing a number on the Pacific Ocean.

Quote:

Quote:

01-22-2013 7:35 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

You would've thought once everyone leaves education, they would let go of all the idiocy that comes with the growing pains and reciting all kinds of stuff that doesn't have any relevance outside the school walls but no, they want to bring that bullshit along with them and its sad we're still stuck with all the pseudopolitical nonsense that pollutes civilisation like Deepwater Horizon doing a number on the Pacific Ocean.

Atlantic, the deepwater horizon incident polluted the gulf of mexico which is connected to the Atlantic. Sorry the deepwater horizon thing kind of still pisses me off because I consider the 11 dead workers victims of involuntary manslaughter and nobody in british petroleum is ever gonna get prosecuted and...well I went off on this rant enough when it was happening and once on the phone to someone doing a survey.

I really liked that analogy though and again I completely agree. We're like 2 for 2 here.

Quote by Alizarin:

01-22-2013 7:44 PMManchester Devil is offline Send an Email to Manchester Devil Homepage of Manchester Devil Search for Posts by Manchester Devil Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Bugger, can't believe I fucked up one fact of the Deepwater Horizon mess but yeah, BP dropped the whole 'British Petroleum' name after merging with Amoco a decade after becoming a private company during the seventies/eighties.

Privatisation, how does it work?

Quote:

Quote:

01-22-2013 7:50 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Bugger, can't believe I fucked up one fact of the Deepwater Horizon mess but yeah, BP dropped the whole 'British Petroleum' name after merging with Amoco a decade after becoming a private company during the seventies/eighties.

Privatisation, how does it work?

Oh I'm well aware they've changed their names several times.

I'm just not going to call them by what they want people to.

You ever see silence of the lambs, and the killer keeps referring to his victims as "it"? Yeah, like that. It's a subtle form of psychological torture.

Because Tony Hayward should be rotting away in a fucking cell. But he won't, so I'm just able to keep referencing stuff like their former names, or operation AJAX.

Oh by the way, ever wonder why Iran is so fucking insane and possibly dangerous now? Yeah, British Petroleum wanting a contract is involved.

edit: I removed the part about ARAMCO, I think that was something else and it involved the saudis...wait I think aramco was us. Yeah nevermind forget that, I don't believe that had anything to do with the coup that took out the shah and introduced the hyper religious freakjobs...oh and the reason I keep bringing that up is I'm technically related to kermit roosevelt jr who was involved with operation ajax. You know how everybody has that one relative they don't like to talk about? Yeah mines been dead since 2000 (I had to google that, holy shit that bastard just wouldn't die would he) and we're only distant cousins or something and we've never met.

But I blame the situation with Iran on him and BP.

Quote by Alizarin:

01-22-2013 7:52 PMManchester Devil is offline Send an Email to Manchester Devil Homepage of Manchester Devil Search for Posts by Manchester Devil Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Oh yeah, I agree - you commit the crime, you should do the time.

Too bad money trumps law and order in these sort of cases.

Quote:

Quote:

01-22-2013 8:03 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

It always does.

Justice is blind but it isn't deaf, if you pull out enough money I guess it can hear the wallet opening.

Quote by Alizarin:

01-22-2013 8:05 PMManchester Devil is offline Send an Email to Manchester Devil Homepage of Manchester Devil Search for Posts by Manchester Devil Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Or if you can cover your own tracks with everyone who had a duty of care toward the victims turning a blind eye ala Jimmy Savile.

Quote:

Quote:

01-22-2013 8:10 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Or if you can cover your own tracks with everyone who had a duty of care toward the victims turning a blind eye ala Jimmy Savile.

I had to google this guy because honestly it hasn't really been making the news over here (to put it mildly, there are..other concerns that are more pressing)

Part of this I'm gonna have to lay blame on...well..the general culture England has. I'm sorry but you do have this whole thing with class and rank and titles that I've always found very odd and somewhat off putting.

I'm not saying we're innocent of this, its one reason I wanted so badly for romney and ryan to lose because I think objectivism is a sick pseudo-monarchical anathema to the foundations of this republic. It's also why I think we should probably randomly execute a celebrity or billionaire every year just to keep people on their toes...but they won't pass that amendment (hey, its an IDEA at least)

Quote by Alizarin:

01-22-2013 8:38 PMManchester Devil is offline Send an Email to Manchester Devil Homepage of Manchester Devil Search for Posts by Manchester Devil Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

What I gathered is that the Republicans are just cockblocking any bill Obama proposes simply for the sake of cockblocking and an eye on the White Power, knowing that it could screw over the US entirely. That is insane in the minds of most people if they could get off their arses and start taking notice of the shit that's being pulled in front of their eyes.

Yeah, here's the Guardian's take on the fallout over Jimmy Savile.

Problem is that the owners of most media corporations have been worming their way into both the US and UK political scenes (Of hi Rupert Murdoch you cynical old fart) and more or less become de facto policy makers in both countries. Hell, the UK had the expenses and phone hacking scandals, the latter of which resulted in the closure of the News of the World. Add in the UK's class system and you have a recipie for croyism and political opportunists like the Deputy Prime Minister Nick fucking Clegg in the Satanspawn known as the Tory-Liberal Democrat collation that has no qualms with using the unemployed and the disabled as scapegoats while they're selling off what's left of the state to private companies, including the subversion of the National Minimum Wage.

Quote:

Quote:

01-22-2013 8:52 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
What I gathered is that the Republicans are just cockblocking any bill Obama proposes simply for the sake of cockblocking and an eye on the White Power, knowing that it could screw over the US entirely. That is insane in the minds of most people if they could get off their arses and start taking notice of the shit that's being pulled in front of their eyes.

Nah you've got it, the current GOP, specifically the house of representatives, is basically doing a kamikaze mission to just stonewall absolutely anything Obama even seems to support.

And pretty much every observer including republicans are saying "Yeah no this won't work, you're pretty much dooming this party to being ineffectual forever if you keep this up" but they just keep doing it.

They may as well have paul ryan howl "alah akbar" and detonate a semtex vest in the middle of a vote because its the same kind of lunatic fanaticism at this point. They seemingly don't even give a shit about winning elections now, which is fucking bizarre for a political party.

I mean the democrats went through this crap too with elements of the psychotic left taking dominance but at least it stopped when people figured out "Oh hey, this is a horrible idea". Hell why do you think a lot of us are distancing ourselves from occupy? BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT TO ENABLE A TEA PARTY TYPE OF THING.

Quote by Alizarin:

01-22-2013 11:52 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

The GOP is just insane now. I would not have believed it would get this bad ten years ago.
01-23-2013 1:24 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I'll be honest.

I really liked Herb. He was my little buddy.

Then he started taking Street Fighter and Smash Bros. way, way, way, way, way too seriousky.

Then he couldn't take the various jokes, like the drawing of him as a Snorlax eating cheetos, drinking Monster, and playing the PS2 because all seven of his Xbox 360's red-ringed.

He, unfortunately, could troll with the best of them, but couldn't take even the measliest little joke at his own expense. And that was his downfall.

Aliz: its ok one day the fbi will surround his house and he'll be killed in a shootout and they'll raid his compound and it'll be filled with like a bunch of missing girls and like his dying words will be "i was trolling...".

01-23-2013 2:42 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
Then he started taking Street Fighter and Smash Bros. way, way, way, way, way too seriousky.

If I never hear the phrase "hitbox" again that'll be fine with me, yeah.

Quote by Alizarin:

Pages (6): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] 5 6 next » « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Coffee Table Book - Writings  » George R.R. Martin pretty much sucks