What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Coffee Table Book - Writings  » Cove Island Brainstorming Topic» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Cove Island Brainstorming Topic
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
07-21-2007 5:19 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Crashu once made a pretty cool RP, called Cove Island. He can post the story here himself, but it basically involved a huge island filled with mutants.

The concept was quite wonderful. Alas, it wasn't very lively...

Here's what I'm thinking about the system.

We don't want full freeform, that leads to arguments.

We don't want full d20, dice are boring.

So here's what I think we should do so far.

---

Keep the EXP system. It was a wonderful way to curb godmoders who made their character grow exponentially for little things.

However, do not do level ups. Instead, what you do is simply use the old power-buying idea, and make it the only way to develop your character. Only give free powers rarely.

For example:

Super Strength: Raises STR by 2 permanently. Vosts 50 x {Level you want to acquire in it} to gain this.

The reason I argue for stats is because they give a clear indication of where you will dominate. The fact is, a STR 20 character is stronger than STR 18 character, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
07-21-2007 6:23 PMKrash is offline Send an Email to Krash Search for Posts by Krash Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I'll post the condensed story, as I'd have to dig up the full one and I'll do that later.

Basically, there were certain people throughout time that possessed a genetic predisposition that allowed them to manipulate reality. They're called arcanes now, but before they were called many things (prophets, seers, witches, wizards, et cetera). Eventually, with the rise of christianity, these people were persecuted and killed as pagans, demons, occult users, et cetera. So a powerful arcane named Scellion rose a large chunk of land from the ocean and sent a mental call out to the arcanes of the world to gather on the island, simply named Cove Island. For centuries, the arcanes lived on the island and were protected by a massive barrier put up and maintained by Scellion. However, as powerful and strong as Scellion was, he was unable to achieve immortality. When he died, the barrier fell and many mourned this loss. After a while, ships and airplanes noticed that there was an island where there wasn't before. Eventually, a superpower country moved in (America/China is the obvious choice, but another country could have gained this power too) and claimed the land as its own. The denizens of Cove Island, strangers in this world, accepted this for the time. The superpower invested a great deal of time and money into the research of how the arcanes' used their powers. Much to their surprise, there still seemed to be a barrier remaining that eminated from the island that limited to scope of their powers to the island the surrounding ocean. Research shifted from a purly military pursuit, to manipulating genes in regular people (Mundanes) to create arcanes and the formation of test tube arcanes as well. Most pure arcanes were repulsed at this, but allowed it to continue because their caretaker nation said it was for their benefit.

It's essentially the same back story provided in the Cove City thread I made about the book, with some minor changes. There's details left out, but that's the gist of it. The time is set roughly about fifty years after it's intial discovery when neo arcanes (the created arcanes) are finally being able to be produced without too much difficulty (aside from the aging process, unnatural aging has yet to be perfected for humans). Cyborgs/Andriods/Et cetera are beginning to come into their own as well, but are generally thought as second class citizens. Although, cybernetic brains for humans have only been produced with arcane genes so far.

As for the stats issue, I support this too. The ones used would probably be: STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, and VAL (Valence). VAL is esentially our charisma without the added conantations of physical apperance and personality: essentially it is force of will. Wisdom may or may not become perception, the same thing except VAL will modify will saves. The others will remain untouched for now. I'm considering a substat method, too. For example, Val would have Offense and Defence substats and the total of those two would equal the total stat modifier. E.G. VAL 16 has a +3 modifier, you could have any combination of 0 & 3 or 1 & 2 distrubuted to your sub stats. This could get messy though. Iunno. There would be a point buy for this, no dice rolling.

I also the support the no-levels up but instead buying powerups. I'll have to work on how powers will work.

Other things to do:
Come up with better terms. I keep tossing Valence around in my head to name things. That'll get confusing after a while.
Define racial benefits for each type of arcane, as well as making androids and humans not suck completely as well.
Make an elegant system to deal with HP and Damage. I don't want these to be static numbers, but completely random doesn't work either. This'll be the hardest.
Feats/Talents/Whatever. Easy to impliment, just have to decide what ones to allow/create.

Anyone got any ideas on what has or hasn't been said?

07-21-2007 6:26 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I'm thinking there be no HP/Damage, or not much...
07-21-2007 6:38 PMMav is offline Send an Email to Mav Homepage of Mav Search for Posts by Mav Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I still think the whole barrier-restricting-arcane-powers-to-the-island thing is really silly and illogical, as well as seriousky hampering storytelling ability for, really, no good reason.

Dammit Mav, you're Gay

Quote by Alizarin:
<Alizarin>: mav mav he's mabulous la la la

Quote by Daveh:
I thought of you and my cock got as hard as a diamond, the rope stood no chance D:

07-21-2007 7:13 PMKrash is offline Send an Email to Krash Search for Posts by Krash Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
Originally posted by Maverick
I still think the whole barrier-restricting-arcane-powers-to-the-island thing is really silly and illogical, as well as seriousky hampering storytelling ability for, really, no good reason.

As a plot device, it's to limit the scope of the RP, at least at first. There'd be a major arc as to why it's there and what's to be done about it. Of course, it'd come later. I'm thinking after two interconnected arcs (or just a supra-arc, lawlz). Hints and details about it would be scattered about. If you've read the book thread then you know for certain why it's there, not the various speculations and explainations the characters would have.

The only problem with after we dispose of it...there's nothing to follow up with. Well, at least currently. I'll come up with something eventually, X and you will probably as well.

Edit:

Also, I do want to add this. The basic idea of Cove City (llolololo superhero RPG) was my idea. The premise behind the island was my friend's, Sentience if you remember him from the Cove Boards. The various ideas for different aspects are too muddied and intertangled to pick apart and tell which belongs to who. So, I only claim partial credit for the RP. Just putting that out there.

This post has been edited; it was last edited by Krash: 07-21-2007 7:17 PM.

07-21-2007 8:03 PMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

sounds interesting, maybe I'll have to read it when you get going

I can't RP, bad things happen when I do
07-21-2007 8:06 PMMav is offline Send an Email to Mav Homepage of Mav Search for Posts by Mav Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Yeah, but see, I don't know what you'd do with those silly limitations, Krash. The whole thing just seems really boring if it's limited to that tiny island. =/

Dammit Mav, you're Gay

Quote by Alizarin:
<Alizarin>: mav mav he's mabulous la la la

Quote by Daveh:
I thought of you and my cock got as hard as a diamond, the rope stood no chance D:

07-21-2007 8:12 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Well it could be like BoF 3 or MM Legends or something.

(BoF 3 being that there was a vast ocean blocking the way to uhh...well some robot city and stuff, I don't remember.. And MM Legends, well we all should know that)

Socrates: Get not your friends by bare compliments, but by giving them sensible tokens of your love.

07-21-2007 9:10 PMKrash is offline Send an Email to Krash Search for Posts by Krash Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
Originally posted by Maverick
Yeah, but see, I don't know what you'd do with those silly limitations, Krash. The whole thing just seems really boring if it's limited to that tiny island. =/

It'd only be limited for a while. Ryan's original idea was that it stays limited. Period. I've kind of wavered between it being limited for a while and then no limit or just no limit period. I decided for the limit to exist temporarily because that creates the drama of "zogm wtf no field!!!!1!!111111" when it goes down.

Alternatively, there could be no field to begin with. And we all have fun with that. But then powers gradually stop working outside of Cove Island to the point where natural arcanes outside of Cove Island start to "starve to death" for lack of a better term.

And as for "that tiny island." I'm thinking more along the lines of about 3/4 the size of SURPRISE, COCKFAGS! for this revision of Cove Island. Because of that, it'd take place in the Pacific between China and North America. That's a nice big gap in the ocean where you could hide a big island like that. So it's fairly expansive, and it's not just limited to Cove City (which Cove Island never has been, but the impression it was like that has been given).

This post has been edited; it was last edited by Krash: 07-21-2007 9:10 PM.

07-21-2007 9:22 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

The thing about the field that gets me is that the story states that Natural Arcanes used their powrers in the rest of the world beforehand.

Unless the field covers the entire world besides Cove Island, it can't really disable their powers, can it? Either that or it enables the powers, which means the second it goes down the powers are gone...
07-21-2007 10:04 PMKrash is offline Send an Email to Krash Search for Posts by Krash Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Since this is sort of a meta thread, I won't mind sharing the process behind it. Basically, Scellion had aspirations for true godhood, not merely being worshiped by people as a god. He needed an excuse to gather enough arcanes in one area to leech off their life force through their connection to whatever gave them their powers (we'll call it the Nexus as that sounds cool in my head right now). The persecution of arcanes, while he didn't incite it, was the perfect opportunity to gather the lot of them in a smaller area than the entire earth. He was powerful enough to raise a section of the earth from the ocean floor, but he leeched a lot of power from the arcanes gathered on the island to create the barrier, many died because of this and anyone who survived was severely weakened for a time. He said this was because the barrier would damper their abilities, but would be beneficial in the long run. Essentially what did was create an inverse antimagic field with a permancy effect and cloaked the island from the outside in such a way that no one would navigate through it. His death ended the cloaking effect, but the inverse antimagic field remained.

If you want more than that...well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

07-21-2007 10:06 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

So he basically did antimagic the rest of the world.
07-21-2007 10:10 PMKrash is offline Send an Email to Krash Search for Posts by Krash Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Yeah. The effect is directly tied to him though, as it was the only way he found to make it last as long as it has. So his death = the end of the field.

07-21-2007 10:17 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Some of the Sciollions are not gonna be happy.
07-21-2007 10:18 PMNine XXVI is offline Send an Email to Nine XXVI Search for Posts by Nine XXVI Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

This shit is quite interesting, Crashu.

And Scellion = Magento, which is cool.
Peace.

This post has been edited; it was last edited by Nine XXVI: 07-21-2007 10:20 PM.

07-21-2007 10:35 PMKrash is offline Send an Email to Krash Search for Posts by Krash Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
Originally posted by X-sah
Some of the Sciollions are not gonna be happy.

No. Not at all. But no one's happy when you kill their icon of worship.

Of course, there will be ones that realize "Oh shit. He was sapping our strength and planning on world domination."

07-22-2007 9:33 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
Originally posted by Nine-san
This shit is quite interesting, Crashu.

And Scellion = Magento, which is cool.
Peace.

I was a telekinetic user with guns.

You could imagine how well that worked, using telekinesis on your bullets.
07-29-2007 11:13 PMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

so uh, what happened to this
07-29-2007 11:36 PMKrash is offline Send an Email to Krash Search for Posts by Krash Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

X's nephew punched it in the balls.

08-08-2007 9:02 PMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

can I punch X's nephew in the balls
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Coffee Table Book - Writings  » Cove Island Brainstorming Topic