What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » Heroes of Mana» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last »Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Heroes of Mana
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
09-27-2007 9:11 PMIron Savior is offline Send an Email to Iron Savior Search for Posts by Iron Savior Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I think I posted something small about this somewhere, but now that I'm a bit further along and more knowledgeable about it, I'll make it a bit more formal.

Heroes is an RTS, but it doesn't exactly fit in with the rest. Warcraft, Starcraft, etc. put a lot of basis on setting up bases and using your time well to build up a suitable assault force and eventually get your best units to send. Heroes gives you your leader units at the start, and ofttimes place victory/loss conditions on them.

Setting up for battle is quick. You first need to pump out your gatherer units (Rabites are slow, but free, Tonpoles can swim, etc.) and have them harvest Treant Berries (for summoning units) and Gaia Stones (for building facilities inside your ship, which is where you summon your different kinds of units and such.)

Your ship is your main base and its destruction is always a game over. Units come from it and supplies go to it, but it can only be used for this when anchored at a hook.

And my favorite detail is how they drew up the unit types. the four basic types are Ground units > Missile units > Flying units > Heavy units > Ground units. the effects of strength and weakness are great, so basically, a single heavy units will never EVER beat a single flying unit unless it's like the best heavy unit versus the weakest flying unit.

The other three are gatherer units (which obviously can't fight for shit,) leader units (which give and take standard damage from everything, and can be given equipment which have a variety of effects from stat boosts to giving them the offensive/defensive properties of certain basic units,) and special units (which have any extent of added effects.)

Some of the unique buildings you can make are Healing Houses (which slowly heal up idle units near the ship) and elemental Shrines (which allow you to summon a certain benevodon to launch a huge attack on all foes for a high cost of Gaia Stones.)

The battles start out pretty easy, but quickly ascend into intense struggles against time and approaching waves of foes. There are a few minor quirks (like how units sometimes create extremely awkward alternate paths to a destination when a path is blocked,) but it is definitely worth the time if you like your RTS with lots of action. The stylus controls work pretty handily too, although occasionally less than perfect.

All in all, I had a lot of fun with this game so far, and I completely recommend it, unless you're an extremely hardcore RTS fan who thinks anything that takes less than 45 minutes to prepare for battle is an insult.

Lookin' at you, Money.

Winger - Madalaine

09-27-2007 9:24 PMD is offline Send an Email to D Search for Posts by D Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

hardcore RTS fans are twitchy little fags.

09-27-2007 9:27 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

..Money's a twitchy little fag?

Dali: There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.

09-27-2007 9:49 PMOld Gabén is offline Send an Email to Old Gabén Search for Posts by Old Gabén Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

WE PREFER THE TERM BUTTERBALL

09-27-2007 9:50 PMOld Gabén is offline Send an Email to Old Gabén Search for Posts by Old Gabén Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

ALSO ITS REALLY JUST STARCRAFT, ALL THE OTHER ONES ARE SHITTY TANK RUSH GAMES WITH THE EXCEPTION OF DOW WHICH I DON'T HAVE

09-27-2007 9:52 PMD is offline Send an Email to D Search for Posts by D Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

where is the fucking scuttle button

09-27-2007 9:54 PMOld Gabén is offline Send an Email to Old Gabén Search for Posts by Old Gabén Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

WE'VE BEEN OVER THIS

09-28-2007 4:48 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Starcraft is awful and I don't even get why most rts games have the word "strategy" involved since they mostly seem like pattern memorization of some sort

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

09-28-2007 5:14 AMIron Savior is offline Send an Email to Iron Savior Search for Posts by Iron Savior Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Most RTS games mostly involve just making lots of buildings and amassing like thousands of units to send wave after wave at the enemy, hoping your waves are less shitty than theirs.

Winger - Madalaine

09-28-2007 9:47 AMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Starcraft is awful and I don't even get why most rts games have the word "strategy" involved since they mostly seem like pattern memorization of some sort

AND SHARP WINS

THREAD NOW METAPHORICALLY OVER
09-28-2007 1:34 PMOld Gabén is offline Send an Email to Old Gabén Search for Posts by Old Gabén Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

BUT UNFORTUNATELY ONLY METAPHORICALLY

ONLY N3WB ASS PLAYERS MASS 1 UNIT IN SC, UNLESS YOU'RE PLAYING TEAMS
ALSO THERE ARE CLEAR CHECKS AND BALANCES AMONG UNITS, SO THAT EVEN THE LARGEST ATTACKERS AND HEAVIEST DAMAGE DEALERS MAY BE TAKEN DOWN EFFECTIVELY, I.E. CARRIERS VS SCOURGE OR GOLIATHS

AND LIKE I SAID, MOST EVERY OTHER RTS IS A SHITTY TANKRUSH GAME IN WHICH YOU DO HAVE TO HOPE YOUR UNITS ARE LESS SHITTY THAN THEIRS

INAFTERDEFENDINGSOMETHINGFORNOREASON

09-28-2007 2:04 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

..it's still pattern memorization. You get the better units/you work up to the better units, you hope you kill the other guy, and rinse and repeat.

Dali: There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.

09-28-2007 2:14 PMOld Gabén is offline Send an Email to Old Gabén Search for Posts by Old Gabén Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
Originally posted by Ekusah
..it's still pattern memorization. You get the better units/you work up to the better units, you hope you kill the other guy, and rinse and repeat.

NO, U

PATTERN MEMORIZATION =/= RESPONDING TO CHANGING CIRCUMSTANCES USING PRIOR EXPERIENCE

09-28-2007 2:15 PMIron Savior is offline Send an Email to Iron Savior Search for Posts by Iron Savior Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

GET YOUR OWN TOPIC, BUTTERBALL

Winger - Madalaine

This post has been edited; it was last edited by Iron Savior: 09-28-2007 2:15 PM.

09-28-2007 2:16 PMOld Gabén is offline Send an Email to Old Gabén Search for Posts by Old Gabén Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Savior
GET YOUR OWN TOPIC, BUTTERBALL

I HAVE ONE, NO ONE POSTS THERE ANYMORE

09-28-2007 2:19 PMIron Savior is offline Send an Email to Iron Savior Search for Posts by Iron Savior Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

MAYBE YOU SHOULD TAKE THAT AS A HINT AND STFU

Winger - Madalaine

09-28-2007 2:20 PMOld Gabén is offline Send an Email to Old Gabén Search for Posts by Old Gabén Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

KARMA GOES IN ALL FIELDS

09-28-2007 4:06 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

protoss carriers or whatever those like...okay they look like cigars and they vomit out these tiny planes or some shit yeah those, just tons of those, constantly. Thats that game.

(PS: There is something that Gay in starcraft, it's probably even stupider looking than I'm describing it.)

PPS:

Quote:
KARMA GOES IN ALL FIELDS

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

09-28-2007 6:08 PMD is offline Send an Email to D Search for Posts by D Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:

Every rts suffers from this except maybe Ground Control, but I've never played it online. RTS is all real time management, really. There is very little strategy involved sides "sup bitches" and wipe out some goddamn buildings.

It doesn't matter if have a decent gameplan and flank the other motherfucker (again, Ground Control is cool because you can do this, and by extension you should be able to do this in GC2 and World In Conflict), they'll just figure out the most effective spam unit/research and blow you away with it.

09-28-2007 6:56 PMOld Gabén is offline Send an Email to Old Gabén Search for Posts by Old Gabén Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
Originally posted by D
Quote:

Every rts suffers from this except maybe Ground Control, but I've never played it online. RTS is all real time management, really. There is very little strategy involved sides "sup bitches" and wipe out some goddamn buildings.

It doesn't matter if have a decent gameplan and flank the other motherfucker (again, Ground Control is cool because you can do this, and by extension you should be able to do this in GC2 and World In Conflict), they'll just figure out the most effective spam unit/research and blow you away with it.

... YOU SUCK AT SC

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last »« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » Heroes of Mana