What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Coffee Table Book - Writings  » What Are You Trying To Read Right Now?» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (91): « first ... « previous 87 88 [89] 90 91 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What Are You Trying To Read Right Now?
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
09-29-2015 1:04 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Dottlers would be godmode lovecraft protagonists.

Less "The opium isn't working anymore and now I have to kill myself for I cannot countenance the terrifying vistas of unnamed eternity I have witnessed"

And more

"Well that was unpleasant, but at least the grotesque, degenerated thing worshiping a loathsome altar wasn't a brony. Oh well, just another tuesday afternoon, soon the old ones shall return and an eternity of eldritch madness shall reign. Whatevs."

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

09-29-2015 9:14 PMGudetama is offline Send an Email to Gudetama Search for Posts by Gudetama Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

"Aww look at those tentacles mauling away my sanity"

09-30-2015 6:43 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Hibiki:
"Aww look at those tentacles mauling away my sanity"

"Goddammit, another of the polyps hit a window....where's the windex, getting sick of this..."

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

10-10-2015 5:59 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Bill Cipher:
Quote by Bill Cipher:
Tomorrow depending on how slow shit is I'll be reading "The Colors of Courage: Gettysburg's Forgotten History: Immigrants, Women, and African Americans in the Civil War's Defining Battle"

So far its okay.

First time I've...really seen somebody championing Edward Everett's 2 hour speech.

Kinda skimming over the first chapter about the 11th corps. The stuff about the civillians seems more pertinent.

Actually I ended up skimming over some other stuff today instead, mainly because I had like just read that in another book. (Mag Palm, the slavecatchers barging into southern PA, that and I think I have fairly copious notes from like some talk somebody gave about that..some of the stuff about Elizabeth Thorn..the stuff about the republican and democratic newspapers..shit I know so much about the papers that during the '08 campaign I had a picture of the compiler office hanging up in the county democratic hq with something like "may penelope sound again in november"...penelope being again the cannon they fired off after victories.)

Quote by Alizarin:

05-24-2016 7:24 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

"The Secret Sentry: The untold history of the National Security Agency"

Or I just started it.

Quote by Alizarin:

05-31-2016 11:04 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Been reading Doctor Sleep, the sequel novel to The Shining. The tone doesn't feel very much like The Shining, which is probably good--you don't want your sequel feeling too samey. It's a decent read. But there's a specific reason I mentioned it.

(Slight spoilers ahead, if anyone cares.)

About midway through the book, Dan Torrance is finally confessing to some of his friends about his psychic powers and is trying to show off his talents. He does this by attempting to read the mind of John, his doctor friend. He gets most of the details right, although John has to correct a few things:

Quote:
"You've got only one appointment this coming week you really feel you can't miss or hand off," Dan said. "It's a little girl with stomach cancer. Her name is Felicity--"

"Frederika," John said. "Frederika Bimmel."

Well, that's a name-drop I wasn't expecting.
06-01-2016 7:37 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Frederika Bimmel?

Quote by Alizarin:

06-01-2016 8:31 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Bimmel is one of Buffalo Bill's victims in Silence.

Necro: just really makes you think: only have sex with people that arent batshit

06-01-2016 9:11 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Ohhhh, ok.

(Wow I haven't seen that movie in a while)

Quote by Alizarin:

06-05-2016 9:22 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Shuichi from Uzumaki is Sharp

The SPIRALS! OH GOD they're everywhere!

I can't leave my house! *dark circles under eyes just get bigger*

MOSQUITOES!! OH GOD mosquitoes are affected by THE SPIRALS!

That hurricane is A SPIRAL and is obsessed with my girlfriend!

Of course, he's right though...but it's just really funny

Necro: just really makes you think: only have sex with people that arent batshit

06-05-2016 10:44 PMGudetama is offline Send an Email to Gudetama Search for Posts by Gudetama Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Kandi Kayne:
Shuichi from Uzumaki is Sharp

The SPIRALS! OH GOD they're everywhere!

I can't leave my house! *dark circles under eyes just get bigger*

MOSQUITOES!! OH GOD mosquitoes are affected by THE SPIRALS!

That hurricane is A SPIRAL and is obsessed with my girlfriend!

Of course, he's right though...but it's just really funny

Cannot unsee

06-06-2016 7:08 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I'd say its sort of a compliment. They're intuitive to a crisis, they try to save people, they refuse to submit to the crisis.

(Dies at the end, but...go down fighting?)

Those are positive qualities.

edit: I noticed Junji Ito seems to like..the idea of things being permanently repeated, like through some kinda determinism, and people dying when they figure it out and try to resist it. Enigma of amigara fault sort of was that.

It's sort of like how in HP Lovecraft's work sometimes the ending is pretty much "and then they went insane".

Nobody ever really makes it out in a cosmic horror type story, do they. Well, maybe Nightworld. That doesn't end on a down note, but it was capping off a series of novels.

Quote by Alizarin:

06-06-2016 9:43 AMGudetama is offline Send an Email to Gudetama Search for Posts by Gudetama Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Lovecraft and Ito seem to share a lot of similarities yeah, probably why they're both so high on my list of faves. I wonder if someone has done an essay on this topic because I'd read the shit outta that.

06-06-2016 9:51 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

A comparative lit essay on those two....oh and what if you went even further back and bought up how lovecraft was inspired a little by Robert W. Chambers.

See nobody talks about this kinda thing though. It's ignored in english courses. You barely even hear mentions of Poe. Anything that is remotely cosmic horror or gothic horror, with some exceptions there, is a no-go.

..Sorry for the rant but I've actually discussed this with people who have taught classes.

Quote by Alizarin:

06-11-2016 3:15 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Bill Cipher:
"The Secret Sentry: The untold history of the National Security Agency"

Or I just started it.

Still this.

Slow day, then it got like inside of a supernova level hot out

Quote by Alizarin:

06-21-2016 1:43 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

"Witness to the Revolution: Radicals, Resisters, Vets, Hippies, and the Year America Lost Its Mind and Found Its Soul"

It somehow seemed more fitting, so the NSA history is on pause..

...It's about EXACTLY what you're thinking (the nightmare scenario the DNC fears would occur again at the convention, the late '60s into 1970. Yes my lovelies I know it scares the hell out of you, it would scare me too, but you can't delete history when its unpleasant.)

Quote by Alizarin:

06-22-2016 7:41 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Lincoln and the Power of the Press: The War for Public Opinion

Oh my GOD journalists used to BRAWL IN THE MOTHERFUCKING STREETS OF NEW YORK. A dude used a FUCKING BULLWHIP IN FRONT OF CITY HALL.

Can you imagine Rachel Maddow clocking Don Lemon in the jaw on Wall Street?! THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME!!!

06-23-2016 3:31 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Ohhh yeah, bigtime.

Then in Gettysburg you've got the head of the democratic newspaper, like, detained because his rivals were accusing him of espionage.

Also this book is interesting because unlike Mark Rudds book they go through everybody in the weather underground and it's kind of lol because they're pretty much all "Yeah it was horrible...but it was mainly the fault of (blank)". "They said what? They're the one that was worse!" and its like just sniping back and forth.

They even talk to the FBI agent monitoring them. That's super interesting because he comes across as having weirdly conflicting views on them, because he was also anti war. By the end of it he said it was like he knew them personally because he got everything. Who's fighting with who, who's romantically linked, etc etc.

The more I read about this, the more my admittedly bleak conception of mankind's frailties sort of comes through. The Bernadine Dohrn's of the world are more effective than we'd like to admit, and we're all of us probably way more susceptible than we consciously want to admit.

It's like..you read about mass hysteria and go "How could anybody fall for that". Because throughout history people are closer to it than they want to admit.

(I'm very carefully phrasing this to avoid accidentally godwinning this up)

This book's just goddamn fascinating. They interview daniel ellsberg at one point and it just starkly illustrates how patently absurd it is when some people will begin invoking him as some kind of analogue to the fucking wikileaks crew or whatever because it's night and day.

Quote by Alizarin:

07-16-2016 1:08 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

It had to get returned, oh well.

Then today I grabbed "American Scoundrel. The life of notorious civil war general dan sickles" off the shelf on my way out, which I guess I'm re-reading cause I got it back in high school.

It's...I remember it being okay, it's probably not the best one I've come across on the guy.

Quote by Alizarin:

07-16-2016 4:52 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Can't renew the books at your weird library?

Pages (91): « first ... « previous 87 88 [89] 90 91 next » « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Coffee Table Book - Writings  » What Are You Trying To Read Right Now?