What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Coffee Table Book - Writings  » What Are You Trying To Read Right Now?» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (91): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last »Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What Are You Trying To Read Right Now?
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
01-14-2008 11:16 PMMav is offline Send an Email to Mav Homepage of Mav Search for Posts by Mav Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I love how ridiculously nonsensical the Introduction is.

Though, aside from the sub-standard Japanese absurdity (also: magical bulletproof vest +∞) the book is legitimately good literature, IMO.

Dammit Mav, you're Gay

Quote by Alizarin:
<Alizarin>: mav mav he's mabulous la la la

Quote by Daveh:
I thought of you and my cock got as hard as a diamond, the rope stood no chance D:

01-14-2008 11:19 PMDiglett is offline Send an Email to Diglett Search for Posts by Diglett Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

That was really my only complaint about it, honestly.

They did so well with firearm details and other things, and then they apperently get a bulletproof vest that is literally bulletproof. No mention is made that Kazuo or the kid before even got BRUISED.

It seemed like a reason to make Kazuo..even more Terminator, I guess.
01-14-2008 11:21 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

So...it's basically an anime in book form?
01-14-2008 11:23 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

A manga?
01-14-2008 11:24 PMDiglett is offline Send an Email to Diglett Search for Posts by Diglett Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I..wouldn't compare it to any anime I've seen, honestly. They did make a Manga for it, but as far as I know they changed little.
01-14-2008 11:32 PMMav is offline Send an Email to Mav Homepage of Mav Search for Posts by Mav Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
Originally posted by Yangus
They did make a Manga for it, but as far as I know they changed little.

The manga is much more typically Japanese and straight-up crazy.

With the exception of the aforementioned magical-bulletproof-vest, a blunt tone towards violence , and an (arguably) absurd premise, the book is a pretty serious piece of literature, fairly realistic (Dustin would know more about this than me), and is really nothing like an anime or a manga at all.

Dammit Mav, you're Gay

Quote by Alizarin:

Quote by Daveh:
I thought of you and my cock got as hard as a diamond, the rope stood no chance D:

01-14-2008 11:35 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

When I hear "Japanese," "gory," "absurd," and "serious" all together in one sentence, "anime" immediately comes to mind.
01-14-2008 11:36 PMDiglett is offline Send an Email to Diglett Search for Posts by Diglett Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

You'll just have to read it yourself then, only the start of the idea is weird. But then you learn why and all that and it makes sense.

The realism is great, yes.
01-14-2008 11:37 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
Originally posted by Tallgeese
When I hear "Japanese," "gory," "absurd," and "serious" all together in one sentence, "anime" immediately comes to mind.

Concurred.

...Aren't the last two items mutually exclusive though, which bothers my logic centers?
01-14-2008 11:38 PMMav is offline Send an Email to Mav Homepage of Mav Search for Posts by Mav Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:

Even when it's a rediculously long run-on sentence? Awesome

But yeah, what Dustin said, basically. I put that "(arguably)" there since the premise (kids killing each other) is really only absurd at face value--the book does a good job of justifying it.

Dammit Mav, you're Gay

Quote by Alizarin:

Quote by Daveh:

01-14-2008 11:40 PMDiglett is offline Send an Email to Diglett Search for Posts by Diglett Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

They also do good at depicting psychological issues of it.

There is a part in the book where six girls have basically been hiding on the island, and they take the main character because he got his ass kicked and managed to escape. But one of the girls saw him kill early in the game, and plans to poison him (Cause that's what she was given, I believe. Cyanide of some kind) And puts it in the food.

But instead one of the girls tastes the soup first, she dies. One of them goes batshit and demands who did it, then they all kill each other and the chick who did it..more or less commits suicide when realizing the main character isn't some crazy psycho and he only did it out of self-defense. It's pretty wild.
01-14-2008 11:43 PMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

go read Stephen King's Dark Tower series peeps

Not reading anything right now myself, though. I just finished the Gundam novel.
01-14-2008 11:43 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

This sounds like one stupid book.
01-14-2008 11:43 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
Originally posted by Ladd Russo
go read Stephen King's Dark Tower series peeps

And don't even go there with me, man. Do not.
01-14-2008 11:46 PMDiglett is offline Send an Email to Diglett Search for Posts by Diglett Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:

Of course it does, I'm horrible at summaries and..well I just suck explaining things anyway. But I like it so that's all that really matters. XP
01-14-2008 11:49 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
Quote:

Of course it does, I'm horrible at summaries and..well I just suck explaining things anyway. But I like it so that's all that really matters. XP

Thank you, sir. That's the best way to go about it.

Seriousky, folks, never let the Moose get you down.
01-14-2008 11:52 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
It seemed like a reason to make Kazuo..even more Terminator, I guess.

The manga sucked, I read some of it. Kazuo is this like..effeminate street gang leader or some crap

Quote:
There is a part in the book where six girls have basically been hiding on the island, and they take the main character because he got his ass kicked and managed to escape. But one of the girls saw him kill early in the game, and plans to poison him (Cause that's what she was given, I believe. Cyanide of some kind) And puts it in the food.

I think this was in the movie, forget.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

01-14-2008 11:53 PMDiglett is offline Send an Email to Diglett Search for Posts by Diglett Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Nah, I've grown to be used to people not liking my taste anyway. No sweat.

(What with liking Inuyasha in all, sort of ask for it.)
01-14-2008 11:57 PMMav is offline Send an Email to Mav Homepage of Mav Search for Posts by Mav Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
The manga sucked, I read some of it.

The manga is kinda scary honestly (scary-crazy and scary-wha), and sucks even harder since the book is what I wish Japanese culture churned out more of, and the manga is... not.

Dammit Mav, you're Gay

Quote by Alizarin:

Quote by Daveh:

01-14-2008 11:58 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Dark Towers is a fucking Marty Stu fantasy world and fangirls love it

I HAVE THE FURY OF MY OWN MOMENTUM.

Pages (91): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » ... last »« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Coffee Table Book - Writings  » What Are You Trying To Read Right Now?