What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » Game News Thread» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (190): [1] 2 3 next » ... last »Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Game News Thread
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
05-11-2009 4:45 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I thought it might be convenient to have a general, "There's this new game coming out, so I'll talk about it" thread for everybody, so I made one. So yeah, if you've got a scoop on some upcoming, not-yet-released game, fill us in here.

I saw this preview for Muramasa: The Demon Blade for the Wii on 1up.com. Such a tease. The game touts sporting beautiful, 2D sprite graphics and gameplay, and while it's certainly sprite-based and appears to be well-animated, the preview video showcases a lot of running to the right through empty areas.

Worse still, the combat does not seem to be integrated into the level design: In the video, when a fight (and I believe there was only one fight in the whole 3+ minute video) occurs, you basically get locked on one screen while enemies pour in from the sides. Once you kill them (via your typical modern-action-game method of mashing random buttons to unleash combo attacks), you can continue running right.

Naturally, of course, the gameplay is adventure-game style, where you'll need to explore and backtrack through old areas and talk to people and buy things and whatnot. Heaven forbid we forget to pad out the length of the game with dialogue, map completion, and item collecting, instead of offering you creative, challenging level design.

The whole ordeal looks extremely disappointing. Why make a 2D game at all when it looks like it plays pretty much exactly like a 3D action game? Just make your DMC clone like everybody else and be done with it.
05-11-2009 4:56 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Tomorrow, Hol is getting shipped this.

Look at that cute lil' plushie~
05-11-2009 4:57 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

AWESOME! Gay FETISH JACK FROST! Awesome
05-11-2009 4:59 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

...I can't tell if you're kidding
05-11-2009 5:00 PMRHF is offline Send an Email to RHF Search for Posts by RHF Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Aregular Hopoge Albono:
Tomorrow, Hol is getting shipped this.

Look at that cute lil' plushie~

That's pretty awesome, plus the plush is pretty cute.

May have to buy that, since I doubt they'll go fast

05-11-2009 5:00 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Aregular Hopoge Albono:
...I can't tell if you're kidding

That's not important.
05-11-2009 5:02 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

RHF: Order swiftly, there will be a limited run.

Amazon.com: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha versus King Abaddon: Unknown: Video Games

Only 35 bucks too.

Plus, every copy gets the plushie. Not just preorders... assuming you get any of the first print run boxes, mind you. Which will probably be the ONLY print run.
05-11-2009 5:13 PMRHF is offline Send an Email to RHF Search for Posts by RHF Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Hmm...Gamestop is getting copies, but for 40 dollars. Yes I know, Lol Gamestop.

I'll try and see how things go.

05-11-2009 7:59 PMGudetama is offline Send an Email to Gudetama Search for Posts by Gudetama Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

HEY, I WANT MURAMASA, IT'S SO SPRITETASTIC~

And I have my Devil Summoner Preordered, so all is well.

05-11-2009 8:39 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I'm not saying Muramasa is bad, it's just totally not what I wanted from a 2D Wii game.
05-11-2009 8:40 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Try any wiiware stuff?
05-11-2009 8:41 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Mega Man 9, Onslaught, and Gradius Rebirth, so far.
05-11-2009 8:49 PMIron Savior is offline Send an Email to Iron Savior Search for Posts by Iron Savior Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I wanted to get Gradius Rebirth.

y/n?

Dark Cloud - Yellow Drops

05-11-2009 8:51 PMMav is offline Send an Email to Mav Homepage of Mav Search for Posts by Mav Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Iron Savior:
I wanted to get Gradius Rebirth.

y/n?

in addition to this question i wish to know what Onslaught is

Dammit Mav, you're Gay

Quote by Alizarin:
<Alizarin>: mav mav he's mabulous la la la

Quote by Daveh:
I thought of you and my cock got as hard as a diamond, the rope stood no chance D:

05-11-2009 8:54 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Tough call. For the average consumer, I'd probably say no. It's not a bad game, and I enjoyed it, but it's short, fairly easy on anything below the Hard skill, and doesn't offer many Power Meter options. Really only for people that desperately want to play a new Gradius (e.g., me).
05-11-2009 8:58 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Onslaught is an arcade-style first-person shooter, where killing a bunch of enemies sequentially (i.e., racking up combos) nets you a better score, and thus, better grades. You're basically given all the guns right at the start, and the point is to just fulfill the mission objective for each level and get a lot of points. You're also given two CPU squadmates that stick close to you and act sort of like Options, offering cover to your sides or back, or shooting forward with you, depending on how you decide to orient them.

Would've been a more fun game if the aiming controls were better, and you didn't move so dreadfully slow.
05-11-2009 8:59 PMIron Savior is offline Send an Email to Iron Savior Search for Posts by Iron Savior Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Probably would've been better as a Time Crisis/HotD clone.

05-11-2009 9:00 PMMav is offline Send an Email to Mav Homepage of Mav Search for Posts by Mav Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Iron Savior:
Probably would've been better as a Time Crisis/HotD clone.

this is true of a lot of FPSes

Dammit Mav, you're Gay

Quote by Alizarin:
<Alizarin>: mav mav he's mabulous la la la

Quote by Daveh:
I thought of you and my cock got as hard as a diamond, the rope stood no chance D:

05-11-2009 9:01 PMIron Savior is offline Send an Email to Iron Savior Search for Posts by Iron Savior Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Because it's a completely superior genre?

(Unless you're one of the asshole ones with no on-screen cursor.)

05-11-2009 9:02 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Iron Savior:
Because it's a completely superior genre?

Hey, I take incredible offense to that, good sir.
Pages (190): [1] 2 3 next » ... last »« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » Game News Thread