What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Maestro - Music  » Marilyn Manson - The High End of Low» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 next » ... last »Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Marilyn Manson - The High End of Low
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
09-06-2009 12:14 PMmerfed is offline Send an Email to merfed Search for Posts by merfed Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

So this album got passed to me a few weeks ago from a friend. Telling me "It's pretty good," and "to give it a listen." So I did. I'm not new to Marilyn Manson. I've heard everything by him for the past 13 years. Release after release they have the tendency to become horrendous each and every time. I gave him a chance after Holywood. But then he goes an releases the terribly fucking Durrrr... Eat Me, Drink Me. The think is, The High End of Low is actually a pretty listenable album. If we didn't have to listen to Mason attempt to sing every 5 seconds. The High End of Low, minus the album art work, a new name, and cut almost every vocal from the multi-tracks and this wouldn't be that bad of an album.

Not to come off as I'm completely biased and I hate his music. I listened to every track. Excluding the bonus cd.

1. Devour
To be honest, the "Arnold" leak of this song was a masterpiece in it's own right. Ok, about 2 minutes in, and his whining is begging to annoy. Repeating "I will blow your heart to pieces" is having no emotion effect. What was he getting at? Oh, it just kicked in to some early 90's, late 80's rock. This is a bit odd, but good. Oh, never mind. He goes back to repeating the same sentence over and over. No bonus points for the unoriginal ending on STO-.

2. Pretty as a Swastika
First ten seconds remind me of something. Ugh, whats with the awful amount of "yeahs", oh and more repetitive vocals. Screams under a mess of distorted guitars. Oh yeah, I'm hearing a bit to much Nine Inch Nail's the Downward Spiral on this track. Seems Manson/Jordie took a bit to much inspiration from Trent on this track.

3. Leave a Scar
A stable of everyone of his albums, a track that musically attaches itself to a period completely unrelated and unforgiving to Manson. Beyond sounding completely un-mastered the guitars are probably the only horrible thing in this. I'd mention his vocals this time, but apart from being not as repetitive as usual Manson seems to pull off two things decently: covers and music that isn't his style.

4. Four Rusted Horses
Great start. Loving the acoustic, and the drums. Eh.. ok. He's singing now. Ok, I gave this entire track a listen rather then replying with a play-by-play like I have been. This track isn't terrible at all. He can't sing. But this is still a good track none the less.

5. Arma-goddamn-motherfuckin-geddon
Did those 13 year old goth kids from my high school write this? first you try to fuck it/then you try to eat it/if it hasn't learned your name/you better kill it before they see it. Any redeeming qualities this had, went down the toilet with his horrid vocals and lyrics.

6. Blank and White
Funny that throughout this entire song, Manson criticizes his entire fanbase: teenagers. I suppose I should give him credit for maybe wanting to mature out of they typical hate, shock band. I have nothing against a shock band. I welcome them. But, when you've run out of "shocks" and keep reusing old ones...

7. Running to the Edge of the World
I really want him to stop singing at this point. The music isn't that bad. It's him. He's not really even so bad he's good. It's just annoying. The chorus isn't that bad though. I'd give this one another listen. Not as bad as some of the other tracks.

8. I Want to Kill You Like They Do in the Movies
9 minutes long. Fantastic. Repetitive vocals? Check. Weird moaning? Check. Other than that, the music turned out to be pretty good. Thankfully he didn't release the original 20+ minute recording of this. 20 minutes while he whines about Evan Rachel Wood might be a bit to agonizing.

9. WOW
Weeks before release this was being hailed as the new Closer. The new goth dance mix. Manson and Rudy both said that it wasn't the finished mix. We get the album, and it is the finished mix! This is absolutely fucking terrible. It may have just ruined the entire album.

10. Wight Spider
Brian sure does like clever word play does he? The sequencing is a tad annoying at this point. The way he's putting heavy tracks after quiet ones is giving me a headache.

11. Unkillible Monster
What is this? Upon listening to the entire track. Cut out his vocals and you have a great track. That it. Can't make fun of this. As i've made fun of his vocals left and right. Can't say anything bad about the music here.

12. We're from America
Apart from the freshmen level lyrics, and repetitive music AND vocals. This is only good because it is catchy. But at this point it's become evident enough that Manson is a washed up "shock" artist. Throwing words like "God, Jesus, America, and fuck...". Just close your eyes and pretend Bush is still president. I'll end this song with his words: We're from America, we're from America/we turn literature into litter.

13. I Have to Look Up Just to See Hell
Weird intro. Quickly followed by Manson vocal styles of old! Very reminiscent of his HolyWood era. Not terrible. Not great. 5/10.

14. Into the Fire
This along with Devour were 100 times better as the unfinished demo's that got leaked about a month before release. If you haven't heard this demo, seek it out. You got shafted on this version, horrid vocals, crappy solo. The demo was quite possibly the best song from this era.

15. 15
Manson described this song to Kerrang! as "very unusual". I fail to see anything unusual about this. In fact it's pretty generic. I think this just increases my dislike of his current and past "music", the 15 shit he's been promoting for god knows how long: Recurrences of the number 15 in Marilyn Manson's music.

Apart from the horrid album art, horrendous singing, generic vocals and some of the worst remixes i've heard on a bonus album in years (where was lohner in all of this?). Overall, he got a few good tracks: Into the Fire (Demo), We're From America (Catchy), I Want to Kill You Like they Do in The Movies (Well Done) and a few others.

09-06-2009 2:18 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Laughing Out Loud

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:
Necro: Pfft. You're a useless waste of oxygen.

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
Political Correctness Needs to Stop
08/27/2015

09-06-2009 7:51 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Oh, I can't wait until Hol sees this.
09-06-2009 8:06 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

mechanical animals > every other manson album

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

09-07-2009 12:49 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

i dreamed of peeling your flesh off and eating it

will it taste like i imagine?

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

09-07-2009 12:49 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

uhhhh.... Scared

*edges towards the door*

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

09-07-2009 12:50 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

what if you were eating eyeball stew and your food stared right back at you???

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

09-07-2009 1:11 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

With a dash of visine

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

09-07-2009 1:12 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Jay Sherman:
Oh, I can't wait until Hol sees this.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

09-07-2009 1:22 AMmerfed is offline Send an Email to merfed Search for Posts by merfed Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I gave it a chance. I really did. His older stuff was better.
09-07-2009 11:29 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by merfed:
But then he goes an releases the terribly fucking Durrrr... Eat Me, Drink Me.

so why do you think this album is "Durrrr..."

Quote:
If we didn't have to listen to Mason attempt to sing every 5 seconds.

guess who's Durrrr... now if you think you should listen to Manson for the "singing"

Quote:
minus the album art work,

...who in gods fucking name gives half a damn about what the album art looks like?

Quote:
a new name,

what's wrong with the name

Quote:
and cut almost every vocal from the multi-tracks

no go fuck yourself

Quote:
Not to come off as I'm completely biased and I hate his music. I listened to every track.

good for you? you still sound like one of the HURRRRRR ANTICHRIST IS THE BEST WHY IS THIS NOT LIKE ANTICHRIST Faggots

Quote:
No bonus points for the unoriginal ending on STO-.

baw, oh Manson should be so original all the time 24/7

Quote:
Ugh, whats with the awful amount of "yeahs",

my brother jokes that Manson has a "yeah" button. it's amusing. no need to whine about it

Quote:
Seems Manson/Jordie took a bit to much inspiration from Trent on this track.

if you want to be cute and use their real names, at least spell them correctly. also trent was his sort of mentor, and they're sorta in the same music genre so what do you expect

Quote:
4. Four Rusted Horses
He can't sing. But this is still a good track none the less.

tell me something i don't know. Manson doesn't "sing" in what seems to be your definition of the word, maybe you associate singing with Frank Sinatra or Elvis which Manson is neither. Four Rusted is my favorite on this album

Quote:
Did those 13 year old goth kids from my high school write this?

no but they listen to it

Quote:
first you try to fuck it/then you try to eat it/if it hasn't learned your name/you better kill it before they see it.

Fuck, eat, kill.. kill, do it again!

Quote:
Any redeeming qualities this had, went down the toilet with his horrid vocals and lyrics.

you could say that about every album he's ever done then, go drink from a toilet you scum sucking protozoa

Quote:
I have nothing against a shock band. I welcome them. But, when you've run out of "shocks" and keep reusing old ones...

shock bands suck, so do you

Quote:
I really want him to stop singing at this point.

he's still not doing your definition of singing

Quote:
20 minutes while he whines about Evan Rachel Wood might be a bit to agonizing.

probably would have been interesting

Quote:
Weeks before release this was being hailed as the new Closer.

oh hey speaking of shitty vocals and repetitive lyrics...

Quote:
It may have just ruined the entire album.

aw poor you, i suggest you ritually burn it to save you from the sorrows and pity you have for this horrible vocalist with the plight of having to sing and sell to 14 year olds

Quote:
Brian sure does like clever word play does he?

you know his real name, aren't you clever

Quote:
The way he's putting heavy tracks after quiet ones is giving me a headache.

didn't bother me

Quote:
As i've made fun of his vocals left and right.

u r lerning

Quote:
Throwing words like "God, Jesus, America, and fuck...". Just close your eyes and pretend Bush is still president.

well it's not like america's changed since he left

Quote:
Weird intro. Quickly followed by Manson vocal styles of old! Very reminiscent of his HolyWood era.

so wait...holywood is good to you and high end is crap?

Quote:
Into the Fire
Dance, into the fire
That fatal kiss, is all we need
Dance, into the fire

Quote:
the 15 shit he's been promoting for god knows how long:

OH BAW Manson likes the number 15. He was born on Jan 5th. 1. 5. Guess what, I was born on Oct 26. I happen to love the number 26 and its half, 13. I note the occurance of these numbers more than any other number. Billy Corgan had a song named Thirty Three oh god I hate that number I wish he'd die in a fucking fire that bastard

Quote:
Apart from the horrid album art,

WHO GIVES A GOD DAMN SHIT, FUCK! But I think Manson's nose is a great profile so I may be biased, also if you're talking about the inside you're stupid cause the pictures of his walls are awesome and I wish I was rich and crazy enough to write all over my god damn walls

Quote:
some of the worst remixes i've heard on a bonus album in years (where was lohner in all of this?).

who is lohner and why should i care? also some of the remixes were better than the album songs soz

Quote:
I Want to Kill You Like they Do in The Movies (Well Done)

....so you say this song is 9 minutes of tedium with repetition and moaning yet it's "well done", okay

you don't seem to understand what the hell manson's all about even though you've supposedly been listening for "13 years"

hey you said the number 13, and I pointed it out I am being so annoying

Chris Rock: I'm severely overrated. I'm just above a hack. That should be the name of my new DVD: 'Chris Rock: Slightly Above Hack'.

09-07-2009 11:39 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

on another note Eat Me Drink Me is one of my favorite Manson albums

It is disgusting of society to expect the exact same thing over, and over again repeatedly. Happens all the time, someone does something different and their fans/fanbase have a spazzoid fest and deem the different "crap" or...as merfed the moron did there, "Durrrr..."

What the real Durrrr... thing is here, is that every single one of Manson's albums are different in some way. (nix maybe Holywood or Golden Age, one of them was trying to be Anti 2)

So when Manson does something different again, like allllllways, people spaz, start calling him "Brian", and get personally offended for no god damn reason, like Manson "betrayed" them

It's fucking ridiculous

Chris Rock: I'm severely overrated. I'm just above a hack. That should be the name of my new DVD: 'Chris Rock: Slightly Above Hack'.

09-07-2009 11:50 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

holywood is antichrist part 2

but its so much better

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

09-07-2009 11:54 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

complaining about mansons singing is dumb and usually the instrumentals aren't really the focus in his songs but if you dont like his singing why are you even listening to his music

he's not a technically good singer no, i dont think anyone ever said he was

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

09-08-2009 12:11 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

i don't think even he said he was Laughing Out Loud

but yeah if you've listened for 13 years and can't stand his singing OH GOD IT BURNS PRECIOUS then you're just fucking stupid if it takes that long to sink in

09-08-2009 1:03 AMmerfed is offline Send an Email to merfed Search for Posts by merfed Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I listened because I like music. Just because someone says it's bad, or good doesn't influence my decision. His previous albums were not really a testament or focus to his vocals. It wasn't until Eat Me, Drink Me that the music became very minimalistic and he attempted to put more effort into his writing. And on a few songs, it really shown threw. Given the amount of people I've heard complaining about this album, and how Manson himself was raging at people for giving a "bad" review, I had to check it out.

As for listening to music with bad vocals, look at Primus. Les Claypool is not a talented singer at all. But the improvisation at live shows, and the unique playing style (please, I don't feel like arguing who's better him or Flea, or any other obscure bassist you can procure) to the jam band genre. Same with Manson.
09-08-2009 1:12 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

"The Monkees weren't about music, Marge. They were about rebellion, about political and social upheaval!"

Quote by Alizarin:

09-08-2009 1:32 AMNine XXVI is offline Send an Email to Nine XXVI Search for Posts by Nine XXVI Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Sharpshooter005:
"The Monkees weren't about music, Marge. They were about rebellion, about political and social upheaval!"

Plus they didn't do write their own music.

Quote by Holleh:
It is disgusting of society to expect the exact same thing over, and over again repeatedly. Happens all the time, someone does something different and their fans/fanbase have a spazzoid fest and deem the different "crap" or...as merfed the moron did there, "

God, you're so hawt rite nao. :o

I completely agree yeah. Fucking society/general public/lace-curtainsetc
Peace.

09-08-2009 7:28 AMmerfed is offline Send an Email to merfed Search for Posts by merfed Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Actually. Eat Me, Drink me was one of his best albums in my opinion. His older stuff is great, I can't say anything bad about Coma White, The Last Day on Earth, Coma Black: a) Eden Eye, b) The Apple of Discord, Valentines Day, In the Shadow of the Valley of Death, Are You the Rabbit?, Evidence. As for the album artwork. This is Marilyn Mason. The Eat Me, Drink Me had an incredibly "deep" album art. The six pane window makes up the Celebritarian Double Cross he used in the Holywood Era. The six "angelic" fingers on Mechanical Animals. Manson liters cultural references in EVERY thing he does. The glasses Evan wears; lolita, the spiral heart; mad love, I can go on and on about his interest in Alchemy, Literary Vices, the meaning behind every symbol he uses etc.

Antichrist Was the worst in my opinion. It was a start, nothing amazing. Mechanical Animals was good, but again not great. Eat Me, Drink me like I said before, despite being terrible. It was his best work. Because it was so different from his previous stuff. It was a quantum leap forward for him both lyrically and musically. But once we got to The High End of Low, his quality of writing dropped. I only use their real names because I am a lot more into NIN than I am Manson, so when Jeordie (sorry, it was Jordie before) joined NIN, and dropped twiggy, it was easier to call him such. But, they both- sorry, Brian, Jeordie and Michael (yes) all do something unique for the industrial genre. And they both have horrible songs. I love NIN. But, there's not denying some songs aren't that great.

I'll give you Four Rusted Horses is one of his best on the album. And I can't complain at all about the "art direction" he went for the conception of the album. Danny Lohner remixed a few songs, did guitars on Antichrist Superstar. I called him Brian, because I lost all respect for him when he started to "freak out", because people where negatively basing the High End of Low on his myspace blog:

I can, but do not need to defend myself And the absurd accusations that the average press has clinged onto. If we need a nude photo of me to prove that I am far different than the soon-to-be-murdered-in-their-home press has decided to fabricate, that is easy. But if one more “journalist” makes a cavalier statement about me and my band, I will personally or with my fans help, greet them at their home and discover just how much they believe in their freedom of speech. I dare you all to write one more thing that you won’t say to my face. Because I will make you say it. In that manner. That is a threat. Mm

You do seem to have gotten a tad mad. It's not the end of the world of someone doesn't like the CD. I know people who absolutely hate NIN, and I love them. Did anything I said sway you from liking this CD, or Manson anymore than usual? No. And it shouldn't. It's just my opinion, and my rather profanity filled "review", was true, in my own opinion. But littered with profanity, cheap shots aside. He is an artist. His musical skills are mostly a hit or miss, because Eat Me, Drink me was a lyrically awesome album, I can't deny that and won't try to.
09-08-2009 11:22 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

....are you just bipolar or something?

also lol at walls of text at things you think are so "terrible"

PS I was trolling you, I wasn't mad moreso laughing at how much you don't understand

Pages (10): [1] 2 3 next » ... last »« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Maestro - Music  » Marilyn Manson - The High End of Low