What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » The Jerkstore  » Prognosis Negative - Polls  » Did I screw up?» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Did I screw up?
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
03-16-2010 7:08 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

As you all know, I had to wait a year to get into grad school due to a bureaucratic mishap from my college that didn't process class exemptions properly.

That left the question of what to do for a year.

1) Get a temporary job for the year. It seemed to me to be a bad idea, since I get disability every month and it would terminate as soon as I got any sort of income.

2) Get an internship as I wait.

Regarding 2, for the first couple months I was expressly told not to due to the bad tendon in my right leg.

After I returned from Hol's, I looked into getting one, but I basically got told that it's very difficult to do unless you happen to be in college when you are looking. Since I'm out of college until grad school... yeah. The professor who spoke to me said she'd try to help, but nothing came up. Bleg.

I dunno, did I screw up somehow? I feel bad because my father just made a snide comment that I wasted a year.
03-16-2010 7:16 PMD is offline Send an Email to D Search for Posts by D Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

news to me

03-16-2010 7:17 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Come again?
03-16-2010 7:17 PMD is offline Send an Email to D Search for Posts by D Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by X:
As you all know, I had to wait a year to get into grad school due to a bureaucratic mishap from my college that didn't process class exemptions properly.

03-16-2010 7:20 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Oh yeah, that story is lovely.

I submitted an application to be exempted from Art and Music courses due to the fact I have vision and hearing problems. These classes are required for whatever inane reason. God what a waste of time.

This was approved, all things done, etc.

Except I happened to look at my degree progress in my senior year and wondered why the exemptions were not accounted for in what I had to do.

Turns out they had lost the paperwork. Or something. It was never explained.

Then they exempted me from the wrong classes.

Let's just say I missed my graduation.
03-16-2010 7:25 PMD is offline Send an Email to D Search for Posts by D Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

This is why one should aggressively harass the administration over shit, even if it is distasteful and annoying.

I'm assuming you're auto/already accepted into the grad school then?

03-16-2010 7:26 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Not automatically, no. Though it is a foregone conclusion for the most part. You kind of don't argue with a disabled candidate with absolutely perfect qualifications...
03-16-2010 7:33 PMD is offline Send an Email to D Search for Posts by D Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by X:
Not automatically, no. Though it is a foregone conclusion for the most part. You kind of don't argue with a disabled candidate with absolutely perfect qualifications...

Did you get the "don't do shit because of that goddamn tendon" recommendation/order in writing? because while I don't know anything about that echelon of education I could see that being a plausible point of dickery on an administrative behalf.

03-16-2010 7:35 PMKrash is offline Send an Email to Krash Search for Posts by Krash Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I don't know your dad, but fuck that. You took a year off -- unintentionally -- big whoop. At least you didn't drop out and become a drug addict like some people I know. Fuck, going to college is farther than most people get -- myself included regretfully.

I don't think you screwed up. Your dad seems to at least be doing the standard hard ass dad routine.

03-16-2010 7:40 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by D:
Quote by X:

Did you get the "don't do shit because of that goddamn tendon" recommendation/order in writing? because while I don't know anything about that echelon of education I could see that being a plausible point of dickery on an administrative behalf.

Unfortunately no, it took several weeks to even get to find out what it was. Had to go for X-Rays, then a CAT scan...

In fact, originally it was misdiagnosed as a tear in the tendon, which would have required surgery. hence why my life was put on hold awhile.

Then, when we went to the hospital to get it looked at in order to prepare for delicious surgery possibility, we basically got told "Um, your doctor can't read. There's no tear in these photos." Turns out that a surgery I had in 5th grade was screwed up and it's just a giant mass of scar tissue.

I was supposed o go to physical therapy, but my parents didn't want to pay for it or something.
03-17-2010 10:49 AMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I think you screwed up by choosing the wrong college is all.

There's no reason why they couldn't have figured out THEIR mistake in your senior year, whether you had 1 month or 1 day left, and get you to your graduation on time.

That's THEIR job to get this stuff from and the reason the school gets paid thousands of dollars.

You got boned.

03-17-2010 11:54 AMScott Pilgrim is offline Search for Posts by Scott Pilgrim Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

i would say yes if only because getting an internship is NEVER the right answer*

*okay so maybe i'm just bitter about my own internship's workload considering i make zero dollars for the most part. so what?

03-17-2010 5:39 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by The Warden:
i would say yes if only because getting an internship is NEVER the right answer*

*okay so maybe i'm just bitter about my own internship's workload considering i make zero dollars for the most part. so what?

Well, it is an internship, so the lack of cash isn't a shock.
03-20-2010 10:15 PMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

find a hobby or something, maybe do volunteer work

i dunno about grad school but I know 4-years and some jobs have a massive hardon for volunteer work
03-20-2010 10:29 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by 8-Bit Wilford Brimley:
find a hobby or something, maybe do volunteer work

i dunno about grad school but I know 4-years and some jobs have a massive hardon for volunteer work

Go psycho and hurl pumpkins through a window, thats the sign of TRUE CLASS

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

03-25-2010 6:41 AMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

hey that shit paid off in life experiences
03-25-2010 1:14 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

True enough, I imagine that'd harden anyone a bit.
03-25-2010 6:25 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Yeah he got stuck in some minimum security facility for like a day and now he knows how to make a shiv out of a toothbrush.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

03-29-2010 6:20 PMBonesy is offline Send an Email to Bonesy Homepage of Bonesy Search for Posts by Bonesy Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

actually it was a week for a misdemeanor because I didn't want to ask for someone to pay bail
04-06-2010 6:46 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
2) Get an internship as I wait.

"As far as I can tell your entire enterprise is nothing more than a solitary man with a messy apartment which may or may not contain a chicken."

Quote by Alizarin:

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » The Jerkstore  » Prognosis Negative - Polls  » Did I screw up?