What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Coffee Table Book - Writings  » Thing that compares how you write to various authors» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Thing that compares how you write to various authors
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
07-17-2010 9:26 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Apparently if you copypasta in stuff to this thing, it compares it through algorithms or possibly arcane rituals to various authors

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

07-17-2010 9:38 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I write like...David Foster Wallace.

I don't know who that is.
07-17-2010 9:48 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

...No clue

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

07-17-2010 9:57 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

So yeah, I guess my writing is comparable to his.
07-17-2010 9:58 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Ok having now run through two of my posts, and having it also generate this result, I've apparently stumbled not onto a potentially amusing internet site, but rather onto some form of A.I. that has a single-minded fixation on an author I'm not sure I've ever heard of.

It's like skynet got a masters in english lit

Quote by Alizarin:

07-17-2010 10:03 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

You getting this Wallace guy too?
07-17-2010 10:07 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Yes

Quote by Alizarin:

07-17-2010 10:09 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Maybe the database of authors only has, like, three people in it.
07-17-2010 11:24 PMD is offline Send an Email to D Search for Posts by D Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

this thing popped up on 4chan like 3 days ago, and this morning it appears on fark and it was just on the news. this spread like fucking herpes man.

07-17-2010 11:41 PMDiglett is offline Send an Email to Diglett Search for Posts by Diglett Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

..I actually got David Foster Wallace too.
07-17-2010 11:49 PMMav is offline Send an Email to Mav Homepage of Mav Search for Posts by Mav Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Diglett:
David Foster Wallace

all i know about him is that he wrote this book Infinite Jest which is really famous or something and then died a year or two ago.

Dammit Mav, you're Gay

Quote by Alizarin:
<Alizarin>: mav mav he's mabulous la la la

Quote by Daveh:
I thought of you and my cock got as hard as a diamond, the rope stood no chance D:

07-18-2010 4:07 AMLovelyRays is offline Search for Posts by LovelyRays Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I got pg wodehouse

Quote by X:
I THINK YOU SHOULD SHUT THE FUCK UP; ERGO, SHUT THE FUCK UP.

PS: YOU ARE STUPID FOR SAYING THE THING THAT YOU SHOULD SHUT UP ABOUT.

07-18-2010 4:13 AMLovelyRays is offline Search for Posts by LovelyRays Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Ok, actually I did it again because the example text was from a short story I wrote from college so it seemed a little but unnatural. I tried again, because I figured maybe something a bit more natural, like a paragraph from a chat log or something involving me trying to explain something might work better. Who did I get?

Guess who I got?

I got Stephanie Meyer. Yeah, I apparently write like her.

Quote by X:
I THINK YOU SHOULD SHUT THE FUCK UP; ERGO, SHUT THE FUCK UP.

PS: YOU ARE STUPID FOR SAYING THE THING THAT YOU SHOULD SHUT UP ABOUT.

07-18-2010 9:30 AMDiglett is offline Send an Email to Diglett Search for Posts by Diglett Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Congratulations, you don't have to expend any effort to write or to make millions.
07-18-2010 11:50 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Maybe it's because most of us have been presumably running forum posts through, whereas aliz actually used different things

Maybe whoever David Wallace is, his books are like a giant collage of internet forum posts

Quote:
Congratulations, you don't have to expend any effort to write or to make millions.

This may have accidentally exposed a business model. It only remains to be seen what trend the public is likely to next embrace (I would assume we're nearing a cycle where the creature from the black lagoon re-captures the markets attention, as a result of the media coverage of the oil spill)

Quote by Alizarin:

07-18-2010 2:59 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Pyramid Head:
Maybe it's because most of us have been presumably running forum posts through, whereas aliz actually used different things

Well, I did use one of my Doom RP posts, which is the closest I've done to legitimate writing on this board.
07-18-2010 3:28 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Maybe david foster wallace is a pen name for the guy who wrote the doom novels

Quote by Alizarin:

07-18-2010 4:40 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I wish I'd gotten Alan Dean Foster instead.
07-18-2010 7:14 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

If I'd gotten Evelyn Waugh that would have been Awesome

Or cormac mccarthy. Or hemingway. Theres a couple of S Rank options

If it had been like "You write like dan brown" or something I'd have sued it for libel. Cause thats just flat out an attack on my character.

Quote:
all i know about him is that he wrote this book Infinite Jest which is really famous or something and then died a year or two ago.

I looked this dude up, apparently he was frustrated by the prominance of irony in contemporary culture, and then offed himself. Wikipedia didn't state the progression of these events as a straight trajectory from point a to point b.

But I'm still assuming yeah, he killed himself because of hipsters.

Quote by Alizarin:

07-18-2010 7:23 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
Ok, actually I did it again because the example text was from a short story I wrote from college so it seemed a little but unnatural.

Wodehouse is another one whos generally considered in high esteem, apparently.

Quote:
I wish I'd gotten Alan Dean Foster instead.

Didn't this guy write some of the star wars novels? The name sounds familiar.

I mean, the ones from back before there were Palpatine clones and force-immune aliens in living space ships and han solo's kid is the ultimate jedi or something. Or am I confusing him with somebody else, cause I read one as a kid and it actually wasn't bad

Quote by Alizarin:

Pages (2): [1] 2 next » « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Coffee Table Book - Writings  » Thing that compares how you write to various authors