What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Maestro - Music  » That Metal Show» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page That Metal Show
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
02-26-2011 3:40 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Does anyone watch this? I assume not cause Necro doesn't get VH1 (possibly) and no one else deals with icky real music.

But yeah today they had Bill Ward from Black Sabbath and Glenn Danzig. That's all you'd watch the show for is the interviews cause holy god, the hosts and the audience both are full of terrible, terrible nerds. Terrible.

They picked Blizzard of Ozz as being a better album than Heaven and Hell. Bill Ward was playing nice guy and didn't pick one, lol.

Joan Rivers: Life goes by fast. Enjoy it. Calm down. It's all funny. Next. Everyone gets so upset about the wrong things.

02-26-2011 3:46 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

i do not get vh1 so i have not watched this, hough i bet i would if i got it (rock fujiyama too, which was a japanese show dedicated to metal that had alot of american/british guests, as well as being hosted by marty friedman)

did danzig get punched out? Laughing Out Loud

comparing blizzard of ozz and heaven and hell is actually interesting, because they're kinda opposite. one album has a shit singer with extraordinary guitars, and the other has one of the best singers in metal paired with one of the most basic metal bands (they were the first though)

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:
Necro: Pfft. You're a useless waste of oxygen.

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
Political Correctness Needs to Stop
08/27/2015

02-26-2011 3:53 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

There was no punching, but a lot of swearing

Yeah only one dude picked Heaven or Hell specifically. Even Danzig picked Blizzard

Guess they like their guitars (as it should be)

Joan Rivers: Life goes by fast. Enjoy it. Calm down. It's all funny. Next. Everyone gets so upset about the wrong things.

02-26-2011 3:58 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

randy rhodes was considered one of the best and most influential guitarists of his period (this might have also been because he died early, but the guy was an amazing guitarist)

singing does kinda take a step back from guitars with metal though, as guitars technique is what defines the genre. metal singing on the other hand is either really good (dio, halford, dickinson, tate, etc.) or really, really bad (tankian, alot of death metal)

though not all metal has good guitars. nu-metal was utter rubbish

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

02-26-2011 4:07 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Yeah it's like Zeppelin too. Plant sucks but you listen for Page

Bill Ward said he wants to play with Zeppelin, lol.

Also Ozzy should be in the bad singer category

Nu-metal shouldn't be considered metal.

02-26-2011 4:13 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

ozzy is a terrible singer, but i dont think his offenses rank as high as serj tankian, or well, most newer metal singers

once the 80s ended good singing in metal became out of style

i also agree that nu metal shouldn't be considered metal either, because instrumentally it is garbage, but, it's a product of the stupid 90s where ability was frowned upon for three chord pap

i mean manson gets listed under hard rock i am certain (and rightfully so) so why were nu metal bands considered metal? (also, not a nu metal band but tool isn't metal either)

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

02-26-2011 4:21 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Dave:
ozzy is a terrible singer, but i dont think his offenses rank as high as serj tankian, or well, most newer metal singers

Oh hell yeah I agree with this

And yeah I guess there's no other way to describe nu-metal but...as in there's no other genre for it, but it's not really metal so..

Genre listing is so fucking stupid honestly, I think we just need to stick to broader terms like rock, metal, country, r&b, rap, punk, gospel etc. Not this "nu-metal" and "industrial" and "progressive" and "new wave" and arrrgh

02-26-2011 4:44 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

i can understand why there are so many different subgenres, but i think i understand your point too: if you don't understand what the genre name means, it doesn't help you know what kind of music you're getting into. like if you like some metal but don't know the sub genres, NWOBHM and metalcore might not mean anything to you

what about terms like pop punk?

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

02-26-2011 4:50 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

It just gets so confusing. I mean, each type of music can be "generalized" into "big" genres

Admittedly it is difficult with some bands who change it up alot, and have very different albums. But they still usually stick with a general...genre.

Pop punk is...isn't that like an oxymoron, kinda? How can punk be pop? :psyduck:

02-26-2011 4:51 PMD is offline Send an Email to D Search for Posts by D Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Bloodsucking Bizarre Cool Angsty Artist:

Pop punk is...isn't that like an oxymoron, kinda? How can punk be pop? :psyduck:

it's kind of like candy corn

02-26-2011 4:59 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Bloodsucking Bizarre Cool Angsty Artist:
It just gets so confusing. I mean, each type of music can be "generalized" into "big" genres

Admittedly it is difficult with some bands who change it up alot, and have very different albums. But they still usually stick with a general...genre.

but how do you draw the distinction between a band like iron maiden and metallica, as they both sound very different. or do you just not?

pop punk.. i outright hate punk rock, but as far as i understand there's like punk rock.. pop punk.. and hardcore punk? to generalize

pop punk is like, when you take the simplicity of punk by using like three power chords that are generally strummed, and then adding more clean vocals (usually by people who are bad singers, too) and pop melodies designed to serve as a hook

like blink 182 or green day

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

02-26-2011 5:08 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I guess I just don't understand genre listing unless you're looking for a certain cd in a really, really, really big store.

I mean in Target and other shitty retailers I know to just look in Rock for everything I'm interested in. They don't need to separate it into a billion other genres, they just need stuff listed alphabetically. (this is when I go to Q and never find anything but Queen Greatest Hits)

Ohhhh pop punk is like Green Day. Like you said, "cleaner" punk. It's all shit I'd still pile it in the punk corner and tell it to go to hell, personally.

Or put it in pop and make all the Green Day fans pissy.

I dunno I just don't see the point

02-26-2011 8:16 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

the music store i go to has msuic by the genres everyone knows.. rock and pop, metal, punk, rap, R&b, electronica, easy listening, country, film.. world, classical

each of these genres are catergorized alphabetically

but above the tag for each band, at least in metal, it says the sub genre, like nu-metal, NWOBHM, thrash, etc

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

02-26-2011 8:20 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

...what is "world"?

02-26-2011 8:21 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

probably ethnic things like african music

i've never bought anything from that section

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

02-26-2011 8:25 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

World music is some vague amorphous not-a-genre about..I don't even goddamn know

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

02-26-2011 9:45 PMD is offline Send an Email to D Search for Posts by D Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Slender Man:
World music is some vague amorphous not-a-genre about..I don't even goddamn know

pretty much what you and necro said

02-27-2011 1:35 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

keep us updated as more guests gon the show Smile

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

02-27-2011 1:38 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Will do. Smile

I missed the one with Eddie Van Halen Frown (no I dunno why he was on a metal show but still, Eddie Van Halen)

02-27-2011 1:52 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

i can understand why van halen would be on it, even though he isn't really metal. he changed the way guitars were played, made it possible to imagine new possibilities of sound.

which made it possible for yngwie to expand upon which lead to sweep picking, and the age of the technically advanced metal shredder began

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

Pages (2): [1] 2 next » « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Maestro - Music  » That Metal Show