What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Maestro - Music  » Your Favorite Singers» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Your Favorite Singers
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
03-06-2011 3:06 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Who are your favorite singers? No need to really categorize them into numbers or produce a hierarchy of who you think is best. If you could find a song or two which best displays why this singer is one of your favorites, a youtube link would be cool too!

So lets discuss our favorite singers. Smile

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:
Necro: Pfft. You're a useless waste of oxygen.

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
Political Correctness Needs to Stop
08/27/2015

03-06-2011 3:53 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Freddie <3 Somebody to Love, Death on Two Legs

Scott Weiland - Too Cool Queenie, Heaven & Hot Rods

Chris Cornell - Jesus Christ Pose, Kickstand

Marilyn Manson - Are You the Rabbit?, Great Big White World

Tom Petty - Don't Come Around Here No More, Don't Do Me Like That

David Gahan - John the Revelator, Here is the House (and actually I really like Martin Gore's Jezebel)

I happen to like singers with variance so I tried to choose two varying songs for each

David Lee Roth: Music is like girlfriends to me; I'm continually astonished by the choices other people make.

03-09-2011 10:23 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

i'm surprised to see that you haven't (yet) included layne staley in there

somebody to love is one of my absolute favorite vocal performances from freddie mercury, which climaxes with one of the most tasteful use of vocal gymnastics i've heard. which is ironic, because if queen is usually anything, it certainly isn't tasteful. (don't try suicide, anyone?)

with that, i'm going to begin with freddie.

Freddie Mercury

Why Freddie Mercury?

Simply put, outside of the classical field, of which you shouldn't be comparing him to Mercury is hands down perhaps the most competent singer in popular music. This shouldn't be mistaken as he's the best at everything, because he isn't. There are other singers who have abilities above his. But no other singer has yet to impress with me doing such a wide range of vocal abilities and styles, so skilly.

Some of my favorite examples:

[url=i'm surprised to see that you haven't (yet) included layne staley in there

Somebody to Love
My Melancholy Blues
I Want it All
The Show Must Go On

Chris Cornell

Why Chris Cornell?

Cornell is an interesting singer, if one is to view the path his career has taken him on. It's hard to imagine the man with the muscular metal scream would become so souful, but its the range from the powerful performance in Jesus Christ Pose to his dripping with emotion performance in his cover of Micheal Jackson's Billie Jean. His range has diminished over the years (he could hit extrememly high notes in his younger days - check out Smokestack Lightning from Ultramega OK if you don't believe me. What for the most part is an unimpressive song climaxes at about 3:50 with perhaps Cornell's highest notes), but he's made up for this by increasing his singing technique over the years.

Some of my favorite examples:

Jesus Christ Pose
4th of July
Bille Jean
Broken City
Original Fire

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

03-09-2011 10:28 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Yeah I was just typing it up fast, I had to type a paper up for X at the time. Laughing Out Loud

I love this thread though

David Lee Roth: Music is like girlfriends to me; I'm continually astonished by the choices other people make.

03-09-2011 10:39 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Thank you. Smile

I know what you mean though. My last post took more thought than my average post here (which takes about...none Laughing Out Loud ), and I was tired of writing it after the second singer. I plan to make new entries in the upcoming future though.

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Maestro - Music  » Your Favorite Singers