What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Maestro - Music  » The Metal Topic» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (14): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last »Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Metal Topic
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
09-28-2011 11:51 PMIron Savior is offline Send an Email to Iron Savior Search for Posts by Iron Savior Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Also, as far as higher pitched voices in power metal that are actually good, this is usually the first place I go.
Vanden Plas - Holes in the Sky
Vanden Plas - Shadow I Am

Savatage - The Dungeons are Calling

09-28-2011 11:51 PMIron Savior is offline Send an Email to Iron Savior Search for Posts by Iron Savior Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Though they are usually referred to as either power OR prog, so it's in the air.

09-28-2011 11:59 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQRzfdkZ_FA

i dont really know if this is metal because this album's genre confuses me Laughing Out Loud

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:
Necro: Pfft. You're a useless waste of oxygen.

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
Political Correctness Needs to Stop
08/27/2015

09-29-2011 12:01 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Iron Savior:
Also, as far as higher pitched voices in power metal that are actually good, this is usually the first place I go.
Vanden Plas - Holes in the Sky
Vanden Plas - Shadow I Am

I enjoy ham both of these

This topic is Shoewesome

Necro: sex is an intoxicant for the mediocre

09-29-2011 12:11 AMIron Savior is offline Send an Email to Iron Savior Search for Posts by Iron Savior Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I want to enjoy Opeth's new album because it's reportedly way proggier, but I am still squeamish.

Most of their stuff is like, transitioning between shit that makes me want to fall asleep, and really bad growling. And my mom is always fagging about them being so insanely great.

So a part of me doesn't want to like said album because then I'd never hear the end of it from her.

09-29-2011 12:16 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

i've never seen anyone complain about akerfeldt's growling before unless you're saying it's bad because it's growling

bad growling is like.. when mike portnoy tried to when he was still in dream theater (dark eternal night - awesome song mind you, a nightmare to remember.. so, so bad mike)

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

09-29-2011 12:22 AMIron Savior is offline Send an Email to Iron Savior Search for Posts by Iron Savior Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I dunno. I just can't really get into growling in general any more. I always used to like Opeth's Deliverance album, but at the same time I always used to like this.

09-29-2011 12:26 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

thats not growling though

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

09-29-2011 12:28 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

i used to hate growling on the principle of what it is, but i just view it as a texture of sound now and focus on the guitars *shrug*

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

09-29-2011 12:32 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Dear Necro,

What is your definition of growling?

Sincerely,

Hollow

09-29-2011 12:32 AMIron Savior is offline Send an Email to Iron Savior Search for Posts by Iron Savior Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Yeah it isn't growling, I'm just saying "i used to gobble up any shit people would tell me is good, now I actually think for myself"

09-29-2011 12:37 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Paul Allen:
Dear Necro,

What is your definition of growling?

Sincerely,

Hollow

this might be confusing, because growling.. if you're not familiar with where metal went after thrash, you might think growling refers to how say, hetfield sang

growling is a style of vocals that is featured prominently in death metal. it's really guttural and hard to understand until you get used to it. the last thing iron linked to might be mistaken as growling to the uninitated, but it's more of a hardcore style shout - hence why i say metalcore (Which that was) is punk in disguise

Opeth- Heir Apparent

compare it to what iron linked and what i linked.. what i linked is growling, much much deeper

i used to hate it but i just pay attention to the instruments in metal that uses growling

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

09-29-2011 12:47 AMIron Savior is offline Send an Email to Iron Savior Search for Posts by Iron Savior Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Also, probably last one I'll bring up for now, but there's one major influence to power metal that's overlooked, which explains a lot of the bad, because lots of bands tried to follow an act which simply is too hard to follow.

Helloween - I Want Out (video is lol)
Helloween - Heavy Metal Hamsters (random goofy song, with a message about like record labels and stuff)
Helloween - The Departed (Sun Is Going Down) (and something a little more recent with a taste of their serious side, also shows how the guy's voice changed a lot, so he couldn't really even follow his own act (I still like this version of his voice though))

09-29-2011 12:48 AMIron Savior is offline Send an Email to Iron Savior Search for Posts by Iron Savior Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Also, worst corner of metal. Excrementory Grindfuckers - How Il make a Grind

09-29-2011 3:35 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIXFKsghS6s&feature=related

meshuggah, though i don't expect anyone here to like this because of the vocals

but the 8string guitar sounds like a beast Ninja!

i see them get alot of praise but anyone i've shown meshuggah just looks at me like what the hell are you listening to man Laughing Out Loud

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

09-29-2011 3:39 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

let the spirit fly
superheroes

also racer x, who kinda sound like judas priest though of course worse vocally, but paul fuckin' gilbert is inhuman

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

09-29-2011 3:42 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Cacophony - The Ninja

also, cacophony, vocals kinda suck but he's at least singing (or trying) and not growling or screaming

but marty friedman with jason becker is pretty win

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

09-29-2011 3:47 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Marty Friedman - Asu e no sanka

instrumental by marty friedman, it's a jpop cover but fuck you it's awesome

(incase you don't know who marty is, he used to be in megadeth but moved to japan because he's a weeaboo.. but he's so damn good!)

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

09-29-2011 3:59 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

(copied from my journal because megadeth is the best)

Rattlehead
Mechanix (you might recognize this one..)
These Boots
Wake Up Dead
The Conjuring
Peace Sells
Good Mourning/Black Friday
In My Darkest Hour
Holy Wars...The Punishment Due
Hangar 18
Take No Prisoners
Poison Was the Cure
Lucretia
Tornado of Souls
Rust in Peace...Polaris
Skin 'O My Teeth
Symphony of Destruction
Countdown to Extinction
A Tout Le Monde
I Thought I Knew it all
Trust
Prince of Darkness
Back in the Day
Something I'm Not
Dialectic Chaos + This Day we Fight
Headcrusher

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

09-29-2011 3:28 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Whoa Youtube is borked.

Pages (14): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last »« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Maestro - Music  » The Metal Topic