What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » The Jerkstore  » They're masterworks, all. You can't go wrong.  » Modern Art; or Art As We Now Know It» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 next » ... last »Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Modern Art; or Art As We Now Know It
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
12-05-2011 10:11 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

It's on Wayback but if it aint a damn fine article.

I started to read it because someone thought goldfish in a blender was art enough to display in a gallery.

Quote:
If the war over Goldfish Art was blackly amusing, most of the sophomoric obnoxiousness now common in modern art is a lot less funny. Never mind dead fish. A student taking classes in the “new genres” department of the San Francisco Art Institute recently satisfied one of his course requirements by blindfolding and gagging a volunteer, having sex with him, defecating, then giving and receiving an enema, all on an open-air stage in the company of other class members, two professors, and passersby. “Artist” Jonathan Yegge explained that his “piece” was “an exploration of the notion of the master-slave dialectic in Hegel.” When the volunteer later complained, the artist stated “I’m just shocked and appalled that you can’t do certain things in art school.” His instructor Tony Labat, who sanctioned the performance, deflected criticism with the response that “a professor is not there to police students about their work.”

Quote:
As a result, a huge proportion of today’s artworks are just gimmicks, or commodities. Critic Lynne Munson describes a writer who composed a poem consisting of only one word. It read: LIGHGHT. He received an NEA grant for this.

Quote:
“It is possible to live without art,” Hart warns, “and if art continues to be nauseating, life without art will become, for some, desirable.”

Necro:ugh red, i like googling her every so often because i like to irritate myself

12-05-2011 10:12 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
“It is possible to live without art,” Hart warns, “and if art continues to be nauseating, life without art will become, for some, desirable.”

We have plenty stockpiled, I'm sure we can make do without:

Quote:
Critic Lynne Munson describes a writer who composed a poem consisting of only one word. It read: LIGHGHT.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

12-05-2011 10:22 PMLovelyRays is offline Search for Posts by LovelyRays Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

modern art sucks. it's nothing but a bunch of hipster jackasses trying to shock each other. fuck that. How about we actually shock them? With electricity? What then? (we get scholarships)

Quote by X:
Alpha, Alizarin's escaped! Find me a team of five TDottlers with attitude!

12-05-2011 10:49 PMOld Gabén is offline Send an Email to Old Gabén Search for Posts by Old Gabén Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

ok but if I read this it's going to be because I want to and not because you told me to

12-05-2011 11:16 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

It's about art, writing, and music. How it's on the downward spiral.

Necro:ugh red, i like googling her every so often because i like to irritate myself

12-05-2011 11:28 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by saboteur seductress assassin lalala:
modern art sucks. it's nothing but a bunch of hipster jackasses trying to shock each other. fuck that. How about we actually shock them? With electricity? What then? (we get scholarships)

This post is true art.
12-05-2011 11:59 PMD is offline Send an Email to D Search for Posts by D Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Hegel's ok with this.

12-06-2011 10:01 AMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Waaaait, wasn't Hegel pissed off at about how art was turning to shit in his day? I could have sworn that was one of his deals.

That sex performance is horrifying.
12-06-2011 11:17 AMD is offline Send an Email to D Search for Posts by D Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Pearly Gates:
Waaaait, wasn't Hegel pissed off at about how art was turning to shit in his day? I could have sworn that was one of his deals.

That sex performance is horrifying.

A lot of people were very buttmad about culture dying, but Hegel saw it as part of the World-Spirit's plan for history.

12-06-2011 12:21 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

God is a twisted guy.
12-06-2011 12:47 PMD is offline Send an Email to D Search for Posts by D Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Pearly Gates:
God is a twisted guy.

Well the idea here is that "well guys, you've got enough spare time to get at the divine truth on your own" so it becomes unnecessary to have those things.

12-06-2011 12:49 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Say that in a plainer way?
12-06-2011 1:21 PMD is offline Send an Email to D Search for Posts by D Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Pearly Gates:
Say that in a plainer way?

Hegel had this idea that history was a progression presided over by the Holy Spirit, and that the endgame of it were Christian monarchies where people would spend their time doing some necessary labor, chilling, and contemplating the majesty of the Trinity (which is the highest truth).

The thing about getting to the endgame is that a lot of cultural structures and institutions die out because they become unnecessary as more and more people are aware of that perfect truth.

12-06-2011 5:16 PMMoose is offline Search for Posts by Moose Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Pearly Gates:
God is a wasted guy.

How I read it.
12-06-2011 6:18 PMIron Savior is offline Send an Email to Iron Savior Search for Posts by Iron Savior Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I bet God is starting to regret the whole primising not to flood the world again deal.

Driver - I'm a Warrior

12-06-2011 6:19 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

You're never supposed to tip your hand like that, thats just dumb

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

12-06-2011 10:29 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Moose:
Quote by saboteur seductress assassin lalala:

This post is true art.

Are we supposed to be looking directly at it or do we need one of those camera obscura deals or

Quote:
The thing about getting to the endgame is that a lot of cultural structures and institutions die out because they become unnecessary as more and more people are aware of that perfect truth.

...Yeah but I dunno if that applies since they're not so much going away as staying but becoming awful unless I misinterpreted all of that (spoiler: yeah probably)

Quote by Alizarin:

12-06-2011 10:34 PMD is offline Send an Email to D Search for Posts by D Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

He'd probably just handwave it or something, I dunno. When it comes to prognostication, it's looking like Marx was more on the, uhh, ball than Hegel was, though I'm not holding out for seeing an eschaton before I kick it.

12-06-2011 10:36 PMEnclave Agent is offline Send an Email to Enclave Agent Search for Posts by Enclave Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I dunno I've seen that burgess meredith twilight zone episode

I don't need glasses so who knows maybe it works out then

Quote by Alizarin:

12-06-2011 11:34 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

In case the article ever disappears, may as well quote some of it.

Quote:
The exhibit included a row of ten blenders, each containing a live goldfish, and each capable of being turned on, depending upon the viewer’s whim. Along with his blenders, Danish artist Marco Evaristti’s creative display included a bazooka missile surrounded by tubes of lipstick, and a nude picture of (naturally!) the artist himself, with his eyes blackened. All in all, a world-class specimen of modern, teen-brain art.

At the Friday opening, two fish were blended. The museum replaced the creatures that were liquefied, “to maintain the original work of art,” as museum director Peter Meyer put it. Then on Sunday (the Trapholt apparently attracts a rough crowd on the Sabbath) five more fishies were diced by members of the viewing public.

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 next » ... last »« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » The Jerkstore  » They're masterworks, all. You can't go wrong.  » Modern Art; or Art As We Now Know It