What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » Lavos Invades Dragon Ball Z» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Lavos Invades Dragon Ball Z
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
03-07-2015 10:23 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Dubbed Kid Trunks and Goten are annoying as all hell, though.

Dali: Mistakes are almost always of a sacred nature. Never try to correct them. On the contrary: rationalize them, understand them thoroughly. After that, it will be possible for you to sublimate them.

03-07-2015 11:19 AMDiglett is offline Send an Email to Diglett Search for Posts by Diglett Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

The voices don't sound the same...but neither did Freiza either. For all I know it's just the same actor that can't recreate the pitch properly.
03-07-2015 4:36 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Fun fact: I figured out how to turn my name colors online.

Shame I don't have the money to actually go online, but, details.
03-07-2015 10:29 PMFreeze is offline Send an Email to Freeze Search for Posts by Freeze Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I don't remember why exactly, but Vegeta always came off as a more calculating fighter. He never picks fights he thinks he can't win. And that one scene in the Namek arc when he hides the Dragonballs by throwing them was a good scene of him using on the spot thinking. Piccolo is definitely moreso than Vegeta, but Vegeta isn't all out raw fighting like Goku, or at least never seemed that way to me.

DBZ seemed to be slowly shifting towards Gohan and new faces from the very beginning. I don't think Toriyama knew WTF he was doing in the Buu arc, to be honest. Gohan was obviously intended to be the new main from the beginning, but then he started bringing people back from the dead and switching out protagonist roles every five seconds. It literally went Gohan -> Vegeta (sort of) -> Gotenks -> Gohan -> Vegito -> Goku/Vegeta. I did like how Mr. Satan/Hercule finally did something heroic in the Buu arc, both by befriending Fat Buu and then convincing earth to lend its power to Goku. That was honestly my favorite part of that entire arc.

Also, my Freezaman:

Quote by Necro:
there's this cookie cutter life that people expect you to have and once you hit your 20s you're supposed to be somewhere in the middle of it

i ate the dough

This post has been edited; it was last edited by Freeze: 03-07-2015 10:33 PM.

03-10-2015 4:42 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

if vegeta doesn't pick fights he can't win, then he's certainly amongst the most guilty characters in dragonball that think they can win fights they cant. while he's certainly a more intelligent character than goku overall, i don't think he ever really did alot to prove he was a smarter fighter. his defining characteristics are arrogance and anger.

i'm just going to say that i disagree, Vegeta isnt stupid but for as many calculated decisions he made, he made more stupid ones based on his arrogance, pride and anger

toriyama had three ediotrs during his run of dragonball. they were all at separate periods, and he had a more relaxed editor during the Buu arc. he was allowed to pretty much do whatever he wanted, which is what i think resulted in the story going all over the place (since he made the story up week by week and often had no idea what was going to happen next himself). in that sense, the buu arc represents toriyama when he wasnt on a leash

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:
Necro: Pfft. You're a useless waste of oxygen.

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
Political Correctness Needs to Stop
08/27/2015

03-10-2015 12:54 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I maintain Buu arc was the worst one myself.

Frieza was good, Cell was good, Buu was okay.
03-10-2015 5:35 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I haven't watched Buu yet

Dali: Mistakes are almost always of a sacred nature. Never try to correct them. On the contrary: rationalize them, understand them thoroughly. After that, it will be possible for you to sublimate them.

03-10-2015 5:50 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Well Kai is dubbing it...

We also haven't seen Kai Cell Saga.
03-10-2015 7:19 PMDiglett is offline Send an Email to Diglett Search for Posts by Diglett Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Chibi Sigma:
I maintain Buu arc was the worst one myself.

Frieza was good, Cell was good, Buu was okay.

Buu is okay plotwise, it's just kind of the culmination of what DBZ generally did to it's steller character cast.

(I.E, nobody really matters except saiyans)
03-10-2015 8:09 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Yeah. At least in Cell Saga Tien's Neo Tri Beam was great.
03-11-2015 12:02 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Ten's Kikoho could only really stall Cell, I wouldn't call it that great

i thought the cell games/androids was the worst story arc in the dragonball z period of dragonball. i can understand criticism against the majin buu storyline, because it lacks any sort of consistent direction, but it's my favorite because it is a mix of early dragonball style humour with the action the series became so well known for. outside of mr. satan i can't really think of any outright hilarious moments in the freeza or cell storylines

cell is a cool character, but i don't think anything done in his storyline is better than anything done in Freezas - Freeza is easily the best villian in the entire dragonball series

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

03-11-2015 12:12 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Diglett:
[quote="Chibi Sigma,592900"]

(I.E, nobody really matters except saiyans)

mr. satan is arguably the most important character in the storyline besides Goku and Vegeta, so I'm not really sure I entirely agree

while there is partial truth to what you said, i think it's as much a product of the passage of time in dragonball too. the series starts with goku as a teen and he matures (wrong word) into an adult, and his son becomes one of the most important supporting characters. vegeta proved to be goku's best rival (Yamcha, Kuririn, Ten and Piccolo were all his rivals at one point too), and I'd argue Vegeta's charisma made saiyan's overshadow everyone else. he's effectively the last rival for Goku the series introduces, and like Goku, his son also becomes an important supporting member

i guess the point of what i'm saying is that the saiyans overcentralizing the dragonball cast had less to do with them being saiyans and saiyans being the best, and more to do with the fact that the main character and his most popular rival were ones

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

03-11-2015 12:29 AMFreeze is offline Send an Email to Freeze Search for Posts by Freeze Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Piccolo vs. 17 is one of my favorite fights in the series. I hated how he got sidelined so quickly after that.

Also, the Androids are SEVERELY underused as characters. If you play any of the games they have really badass movesets that you barely get to see on the show. I feel like they were much more interesting than Cell. Cell was totally unnecessary, even if he was cool and resulted in some good fights. I agree that Cell is the worst part of DBZ, but the Androids are probably my favorite. Everything up until second form Cell appears, probably - it's all downhill from there.

Quote by Necro:
there's this cookie cutter life that people expect you to have and once you hit your 20s you're supposed to be somewhere in the middle of it

i ate the dough

This post has been edited; it was last edited by Freeze: 03-11-2015 12:31 AM.

03-11-2015 1:32 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

do you know the history of the android/Cell games?

so throughout his run of Dragonball, Toriyama had three diferent editors at three different periods of the series. the first editor was the guy that discovered him and was his editor also for Dr. Slump (and is the inspiration for the villain in Dr. Slump), and both he and the second editor were pretty strict with Toriyama. His third and final editor was more relaxed, but he only worked with Toriyama during the Buu arc

so the storyline was originally going to have androids 19 and 20 be the villains. at the time, Toriyama was with his second editor, but his old boss called him up and told him how lame 19 and 20 were, and suggested that they weren't the real villains. so toriyama went and created 17 and 18. his former editor called him up again and told them that they were brats and lame, and suggested that they werent the real villains again.

so Toriyama goes and creates Cell. he ran into a problem. his current editor at the time hated Cell's design, thought it was too ugly and buglike. so to please his editor, toriyama went and had Cell absorb 17 and reach his second form. his editor hated the second form even more, and despite toriyama wanting to do more with his second form, felt pressured to make his boss happy so he quickly had Cell absorb 17 after that and reach his perfect form. his editor was pleased with Cell's final form

the entire story arc suffers from too many cooks in the kitchen. while i like the characters that resulted from all the negative feedback his previous and current editor gave him, it's interesting to think where the story would have gone, if 19 and 20 or 17 and 18 remained the villains

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

03-11-2015 3:19 AMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Eh, I dunno. I have a soft spot for Perfect Cell.

When you get to him in Xenoverse, he is so goddamn smug and adorable, and the best part is he can back it up.

When you get him as a master, his Z-Rank pep talk quote is just so amazing. It must be heard to be believed.

Every master teaches you a bad move or two to jerk you around, except for Cell. Ohhhh no. He starts you off right with the world's mightiest pimp slap, and every single move he gives you after is better than the last with zero duds. Cell is just the best.
03-11-2015 3:59 AMFreeze is offline Send an Email to Freeze Search for Posts by Freeze Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Psycho Sigma:
do you know the history of the android/Cell games?

so throughout his run of Dragonball, Toriyama had three diferent editors at three different periods of the series. the first editor was the guy that discovered him and was his editor also for Dr. Slump (and is the inspiration for the villain in Dr. Slump), and both he and the second editor were pretty strict with Toriyama. His third and final editor was more relaxed, but he only worked with Toriyama during the Buu arc

so the storyline was originally going to have androids 19 and 20 be the villains. at the time, Toriyama was with his second editor, but his old boss called him up and told him how lame 19 and 20 were, and suggested that they weren't the real villains. so toriyama went and created 17 and 18. his former editor called him up again and told them that they were brats and lame, and suggested that they werent the real villains again.

so Toriyama goes and creates Cell. he ran into a problem. his current editor at the time hated Cell's design, thought it was too ugly and buglike. so to please his editor, toriyama went and had Cell absorb 17 and reach his second form. his editor hated the second form even more, and despite toriyama wanting to do more with his second form, felt pressured to make his boss happy so he quickly had Cell absorb 17 after that and reach his perfect form. his editor was pleased with Cell's final form

the entire story arc suffers from too many cooks in the kitchen. while i like the characters that resulted from all the negative feedback his previous and current editor gave him, it's interesting to think where the story would have gone, if 19 and 20 or 17 and 18 remained the villains

Yeah, I was just reading about this today, actually. It's funny because the Cell and Buu arcs are like two opposite extremes, one where Toriyama isn't allowed to do anything and one where he's allowed to get away with whatever he wants. Honestly, if I were him, I would have said "fuck you" by the time they were complaining about first form Cell, and especially by the time they told him to get rid of second form Cell, because he was going to transform anyway and everyone knew it.

The Android arc tries to get away from the Saiyans = everything and the copy paste power creep the series gets made fun of for all the time, but every time this happens it's undermined by "loltransformation" or "surprise: new and stronger bad guy". Goku's heart disease, Vegeta briefly taking the spotlight while he's out of commission, Piccolo vs. 17, the Androids having limitless energy, all of it is unique. 16 was also a great character, and I would have liked to see him do more. The best part of Cell is probably how it's the fact that it's his death that causes Gohan to transform.

I complain about the story in DBZ all the time, but I love all of it for what it is. It was never intended to be Shakespeare, and everyone knows it. But still, there are things that were just sloppily handled.

Quote by Necro:

i ate the dough

This post has been edited; it was last edited by Freeze: 03-11-2015 4:00 AM.

03-11-2015 1:27 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Can't really say "fuck you" to an editor in manga.

03-11-2015 2:38 PMFreeze is offline Send an Email to Freeze Search for Posts by Freeze Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I know, but still.

Wasn't it technically not his current editor, though? Did he have to listen to that guy?

Quote by Necro:

i ate the dough

03-11-2015 5:22 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

His old boss didn't like the Androids. Did Toriyama have to listen to him? Probably not

His current editor was the one who didn't like Cell's first two forms, so yeah, Toriyama probably had to listen, though, given how popular Dragonball was, I'm not sure what could have happened if he fought back

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

03-11-2015 5:24 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

My favorite fight in the series is Goku vs Freeza

Or Vegetto vs Buu. The Amazing Fighting Candy was singlehandedly one of the best things things I've ever seen in a shounen series

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » Lavos Invades Dragon Ball Z