What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » How important is the narrative in a game to you?» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page How important is the narrative in a game to you?
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
10-14-2015 6:40 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

So be honest, how much does the story in a game influence your ability to enjoy it, become immersed, feel motivated to continue the game, etc. Is it the end all be all to games and the only reason you play them, or is it just something on the side for you?

for me, for the most part i don't really give much fucks about the story, so long as it isn't obnoxiously bad. like pokemon x/y, i still like the games, but team flare was incredibly lame as was the Az/Floette or whatever plot. I found the game a chore until i beat the elite 4.

otherwise though i'm content with whatever story so long as i like the gameplay and view it just as an excuse to be running around doing stuff. regardless if i'm playing a rpg or openworld or something else, i tend to run around doing sidequests more than anything else. actually, i kinda enjoy grinding my characters up too, sometimes more than the story. i havent really finished that many rpgs i've begun lately because of this. i play them until i'm tired of grinding and because i dont really care about the story i just stop

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:
Necro: Pfft. You're a useless waste of oxygen.

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
Political Correctness Needs to Stop
08/27/2015

10-14-2015 6:50 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Well, it depends for me....

Like you said, with pokemon the story doesn't really matter, the new pokes do and the new attacks, stuff like that.

But for "standard" rpgs I will sometimes get so involved in the story I just...get weird i dunno. Like I am obsessed with LISA which was just an rpg made with rpgmaker. And as you know I refuse to beat some rpgs because the story is so good I dont want it to end. Radiant Historia I think was one of them.

For games like Secret World and Baldurs Gate I HONESTLY have no idea what the fuck is going on AND know nobody's names (unless its Irenicus cause he never shuts the fuck up) so

Dan Quayle: The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century.

10-14-2015 7:12 PMDiglett is offline Send an Email to Diglett Search for Posts by Diglett Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

It depends on my expectations for the game, I wish I could say I went into every game expecting some immersive experience, but there's been not a whole lot of games that were touted as 'immersive stories' that did nothing for me while others did. Even RPGs anymore, if the gameplay doesn't jive with me, I get bored and I don't even really care, despite me growing up with RPGs, I just find most of them aren't really appealing to me these days.

Really, what immerses me into even a generic as fuck story is gameplay. The entire experience of the story can be enhanced for me if I'm really into the game, it just sucks me into the atmosphere and every little cornball thing just has it's own charm.

I think games can do both, or one can do the other. But...I've never played a game that had amazing story and shit gameplay that I actually stuck with. I've had more experiences with 50/50 games or 90/10 games that I ever have 'story over gameplay games'.
10-14-2015 7:54 PMManchester Devil is offline Send an Email to Manchester Devil Homepage of Manchester Devil Search for Posts by Manchester Devil Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Depends on the game and the ideas behind the game itself. If both gel then the narrative works. But if I think a game's ideas don't stand up through repeated plays then the game suffers.

Just to torpedo my own point; some games do have a limited shelf life and may not last after the initial honeymoon period of a new purchase.

R.I.P. Mother: 14/01/1955 - 03/04/2017

R.I.P. Brother: 22/01/1981 - 03/12/2018

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharp
It gets weirder too. I just realized...if..if he nailed her he technically had sex with everything and everyone on the internet. Including this forum.

Except he ALSO posts on this forum....so....so then is it masturbation? This is fucking trippy, how did I not realize this before.

Quote:
Originally posted by Holly
Your computer magically produces hentai?!

10-14-2015 9:26 PMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

My primary opinion is fuck dialogue and text boxes.

I used to read all dialogue back in SNES days. Now they overdo it and I skip as much as possible. If I want to read a story, I'll open a book. I have quit games to read instead.

A good vidya narrative, to me, happens with as little interruption to gameplay as possible. Some cut scenes are fine, if skippable for replays, but the goal, level/mission layout and enemy types should convey the story well.

But for me, gameplay and graphics are always the top factors. I can't play ugly games. I don't demand next-gen graphics or anything. Pixel density is not a measure of quality. Some of the best looking games are pure 2d. But, being a visual medium, it's imperative to me that I like to look at the game.

These days, I'd say story is more throw away for me. If I can only play a game once a week, or less, I need a game where it's digestible in short bursts. Like Diablo 3. Shit story. Often terrible dialogue. But it's fun and I can play for 15 minutes or 3 hours at a time, and not worry about stopping at a bad time.

10-14-2015 9:28 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

A honeymoon period would be really convenient for the wife who doesn't want to have terrible sex with her grudgingly new husbando

Dan Quayle: The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century.

10-14-2015 10:43 PMFreeze is offline Send an Email to Freeze Search for Posts by Freeze Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Depends for me. And not even by genre sometimes.

I don't care what's going on in a Mario or Donkey Kong game (although five year old me certainly did)

Sometimes RPGs captivate me like Hol said. Suikoden, some Final Fantasies, The Witcher series, etc.

But then you get oddball games like Saint's Row 2, where the story is oddly the highlight of the game despite it being a gangster GTA ripoff, or Baldur's Gate, where I really couldn't care less about why we have to kill some random werewolf guy. Multiplayer games tend to be all about gameplay for me (since most people skip the story anyway)

Then there's games with a pretty good, but not amazing story, like the Half-life series, that captivate me enough in other ways (technical prowess, pure gaming fun) that make me care about the story by extension

Quote by Necro:
there's this cookie cutter life that people expect you to have and once you hit your 20s you're supposed to be somewhere in the middle of it

i ate the dough

10-14-2015 10:45 PMGudetama is offline Send an Email to Gudetama Search for Posts by Gudetama Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I don't really have anything to add that hasn't been said.

Really just depends on the game/genre. A VN with shit story is a no go, but an MMO can get away with it. The Neir/Drakengard series can get away with being mediocre gameplay wise because the story and everything else are solid enough to carry you past the bumps.

10-14-2015 11:53 PMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Trainee:
A honeymoon period would be really convenient for the wife who doesn't want to have terrible sex with her grudgingly new husbando

lol, what?

10-15-2015 3:43 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Trainee:
Like you said, with pokemon the story doesn't really matter, the new pokes do and the new attacks, stuff like that.

Gary Oak origin story.

(But yeah it...depends on the game, I guess. I do tend to maybe be into narrative stuff. Like deus ex or fallout where you could hack everybodys emails to expand upon it or tsw with the lore icons hidden around. Depends if it's interesting though)

Quote:
For games like Secret World and Baldurs Gate I HONESTLY have no idea what the fuck is going on

Secret World is sorta like that by design since it keeps adding stuff, just when you think "oh I get it" some bonkers thing will come outta nowhere.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

10-15-2015 5:00 AMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I like the setting for TSW, but the actual storyline is eh. I think the Dragon is dumb as hell.

As for games... I like story, and I like reading stories. The problem is, they have to actually be GOOD or I don't want anything to do with it. This is a huge problem for me with games lately.

Most videogame stories are basically aimed at teenagers in a "fuck you Dad" phase. Supposedly some of the best stories in the industry are Shin Megami Tensei, and it's like... if that's true then fuck videogame stories. The game is basically all about killing The White Man's God. It's pathetic.

A second problem is that a lot of them, by virtue of the first thing, are predictable as hell. That shouldn't happen. I should not be able to predict where a supposedly epic plot is going if the game itself hasn't foreshadowed it. Yet I can guess based on meta-knowledge about how nerds write stuff, and I am usually right about the essential bits. That sucks. It feels like if you want a good story you have to go indie or small-time, but you then also have to get lucky to not run into the real wackos (read: Braid).

The final and arguably ultimate problem is that a story is only as good as the characters in it. Most video game characters are awful, full of terrible one-note gimmicks that get stale really goddamn fast. This is especially prevalent in JRPGs, which is a damn shame since I like futzing around in menus. Games in general feature very few mature characters, though there are many "mature" characters (eg obsessed with sex or gore, haha funny).

All of this is why I loved Deadly Premonition. York was competent as fuck with no offensively stupid gimmicks. It was one of the few games where I eventually gave up and said "I have no fucking clue what is going to happen here and I LOVE IT!".

I dunno. I like a good story and a good setting. It just basically never happens. It's goddamn sad.
10-15-2015 5:05 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Jack Crawford:
I like the setting for TSW, but the actual storyline is eh. I think the Dragon is dumb as hell.

We already have a better place to discuss this, but the dragon is one of the more confusing aspects after that last bit. (Also now that hol has everything so far..yeah no it's zany)

Quote:
All of this is why I loved Deadly Premonition. York was competent as fuck with no offensively stupid gimmicks. It was one of the few games where I eventually gave up and said "I have no fucking clue what is going to happen here and I LOVE IT!".

I didn't finish it yet cause I guess I didn't port the save over but....That'd be David Lynch for ya (lets face it, that pretty much is twin peaks: the game)

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

10-15-2015 6:24 AMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Actually, I can explain the Dragon.

It was the original TSW scenario writer's favorite faction. He said if he were to be part of one it'd be the Dragon.

When you know this, it starts explaining certain things.

Like how it was the Dragon who made that Templar guy turn traitor in the Shambala faction quest you took way back when (remember that?) and had planned it from before he was born. They literally say in Hol's version of the quest that they made sure the Templar traitor's parents had sex to produce him specifically, according to their mathematical models.

Also you know the Stephen King-alike fanboy who KNEW THINGS, who the Illuminati wanted to find in Kingsmouth? Neither Templar or Illuminati have any idea where he is, and you only find out as a Dragon that they've had him the whole time in some little village.

Also how the Dragon straight-up won Tokyo by allying with some random gangster, and how they just seem to somehow know more shit than the other factions despite being made up for the game...

All wrapped up in a stereotype about Asians being good at math.

This is the sort of shit I mean when I talk about nerd writers ruining otherwise interesting stories. You should not make your personal favorite or made up faction literally the best in a story about semi-historical secret societies. It's dumb as hell. The same sort of shit shows up in Shin Megami Tensei.
10-15-2015 9:27 AMFreeze is offline Send an Email to Freeze Search for Posts by Freeze Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

You might like Lost Odyssey, X. Too bad it's 360 only. It's still very JRPG but more mature than most JRPGs, in story, tone, and characters

Quote by Necro:
there's this cookie cutter life that people expect you to have and once you hit your 20s you're supposed to be somewhere in the middle of it

i ate the dough

10-15-2015 3:08 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
(remember that?)

Having had to do it like 3 times then level up more, unfortunately yes Laughing Out Loud

Quote:
some random gangster

Yeah the end of tokyo was..pretty damn vague about how or why that happened, the only real hint is

He's
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

They are pretty wonky.

Quote by Alizarin:

10-16-2015 1:20 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

i still enjoy jrpgs which are mostly story based games, but outside of pokemon y i can't actually tell you the last one i finished. i can, however, name many that i've begun and stopped playing, usually for reasons not pertaining to the story. includes: project x zone, bravely default, ni no kuni, tales of graces f, tales of xillia. probably the last one i did finish not a pokemon game is final fantasy xiii

i don't even really mind that i've matured and the genre hasn't - i don't expect the games to be full of mature themes and mature characters because i know who the target audience is. i like how these games play, like X said, futzing around in menus, turn based is fun to me, but i can't seem to get invested enough that i actually finish them. i spend more time grinding and planning how i'm developing my characters than anything else.

which is probably why i've finished the story in pokemon, because i spend more time planning out my pokemon's movesets and shit than becoming engrossed with the story. and while i crticize pokemon x/y's story, when they release a third edition i'll still be interested in it.

same with bravely default, i want to get bravely second when it's released and i get the criticisms people had with bravely default's story, but i thought the game was excellent for what i enjoyed doing in it: grinding and leveling up my classes. the point where i stopped playing was when i was fairly satisfied with my class and ability set ups, not when the story become repetitive Laughing Out Loud

and then there's games like arkham city. oh boy. i love the gameplay in it, and while i don't prefer the openworld design to the more metriodlike approach asylum took, overall i would say the gameplay is better than asylum. but i really hate the story, it's shallow and just throws a bunch of shit at the wall hoping some of it sticks. and ultimately i like asylum better, and i'm not misguided thinking it's story is amazing. it's a video game story (hello toxin joker), but it's very servicable which combined with the game's atmosphere does a remarkable job making you feel like you're batman.

i still need to pick up deadly premontion. david lynch the game is something i know i'd appreciate. wish i could find it for less than $20 though because money is tight right now with my being sick and all

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

10-16-2015 1:25 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

the flipside of the coin also raises this question: at what point can a story impact you negatively enough that you stop playing?

this is made with the assumption that you like the gameplay enough that you've invested some time for the story to make some developments, at least

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

10-16-2015 3:28 AMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Not even SMT has gotten that offensively bad. Yet.
10-16-2015 3:32 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I haven't really run into that.

Then again I've gritted my teeth watching movies I dislike just to the bitter end so I can more fully gripe.

Quote by Alizarin:

10-16-2015 9:26 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Hannibal Lecter:
the flipside of the coin also raises this question: at what point can a story impact you negatively enough that you stop playing?

this is made with the assumption that you like the gameplay enough that you've invested some time for the story to make some developments, at least

Undertale.

Let me spoil it cause the game is shit anyway.

As you go through the game there's a strong female knight character that chases you. You encounter her several times and don't know she's female til someone says "she". Then she reveals herself, she's a fish-woman thing and has an eyepatch, not a traditionally "pretty" character.

As the game progresses she is defeated by you and if you allow her to live, she stops the whole killing thing. She retires, in a way. She hangs out with one of the skeleton characters and it seems like they like each other, but thankfully no romantic stuff happens.

Story progression, another character Alphys is encountered. She's a scientist and loves animu. You go on a date with her, eventually, cause she is obsessed with watching you play the game (this game is weird).

Long story short, after you get through the game the knight character says she got a job as a gym teacher (do you see where this is going) and Alphys decides she all of a sudden is in love with the knight and ends up dating her.

It's ridiculous, shoehorned bullshit that made me hate the game. Let's take a strong non-pretty woman and make her a lesbian gym teacher! Unless of course it's a mockery of those tropes but I really doubt it.

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » How important is the narrative in a game to you?