What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » How important is the narrative in a game to you?» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page How important is the narrative in a game to you?
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
10-16-2015 9:29 AMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Satire and mocking is pointless if you can't easily separate it from someone being serious about the matter. So, sounds like a failure no matter what.

10-16-2015 9:32 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Sad part is, that game is like the top selling on Steam or some shit, and highest rated on whatever game rating site is the "big one" (I can't remember)

X reads the game thread about it on SA every day and it's just pages of fanart.... I don't understand society.

X: One of my favorite things is the bubonic plague.

10-16-2015 6:31 PMFreeze is offline Send an Email to Freeze Search for Posts by Freeze Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Hannibal Lecter:
the flipside of the coin also raises this question: at what point can a story impact you negatively enough that you stop playing?

this is made with the assumption that you like the gameplay enough that you've invested some time for the story to make some developments, at least

Devil may Cry reboot

Bayonetta (looks like an awesome game but hell if I ever touch that pandering piece of shit)

Quote by Necro:
there's this cookie cutter life that people expect you to have and once you hit your 20s you're supposed to be somewhere in the middle of it

i ate the dough

This post has been edited; it was last edited by Freeze: 10-16-2015 6:32 PM.

10-16-2015 6:45 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Ohhhh yeah, the gym teacher thing. You were telling me about that.

(The game didn't look particularly funny or clever anyway)

But yeah I....actually can't think of an example.

Quote by Trainee:
Sad part is, that game is like the top selling on Steam or some shit, and highest rated on whatever game rating site is the "big one" (I can't remember)

These are probably the same people who think Gone Home is art so you're not exactly dealing with the great minds of our time.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

10-16-2015 7:21 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Bayonetta is one of those games I've debated whether or not I'd like to give it a try. One hand it's heavy sexualixed fan service with atrocious anatomy, and on the other hand, it's made by the creator of devil may cry, which I never cared for

But, a part of me thinks maybe I'd gave fun with it because I like the genre, well, I like Ninja Gaiden

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:
Necro: Pfft. You're a useless waste of oxygen.

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
Political Correctness Needs to Stop
08/27/2015

10-16-2015 9:03 PMDiglett is offline Send an Email to Diglett Search for Posts by Diglett Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I'd say it leans more into the DMC territory than it does Ninja Gaiden in terms of style and the moves. I don't see why it wouldn't be worth giving it a try, but I never really gave a shit about the fanservice.
10-16-2015 11:08 PMGudetama is offline Send an Email to Gudetama Search for Posts by Gudetama Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by 名誉騎士グレン:
Quote by Hannibal Lecter:
the flipside of the coin also raises this question: at what point can a story impact you negatively enough that you stop playing?

this is made with the assumption that you like the gameplay enough that you've invested some time for the story to make some developments, at least

Devil may Cry reboot

Bayonetta (looks like an awesome game but hell if I ever touch that pandering piece of shit)

Both of these games had no worse than for the genre stories broski. Plus no one had their DARK SOUL FILLED WITH LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

10-17-2015 3:47 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Diglett:
I'd say it leans more into the DMC territory than it does Ninja Gaiden in terms of style and the moves. I don't see why it wouldn't be worth giving it a try, but I never really gave a shit about the fanservice.

i agree with the last sentence 100%. the primary point of playing a game is to have fun, and if you do find a game fun, it's stupid to come up with arbitrary reasons to dislike it.

this isn't to say you can't have issues with it, because you can be critical of things you enjoy, and should be, just the only person you're hurting by coming up with reasons to not enjoy something you do enjoy is yourself

the biggest reason why i havent tried bayonetta is i don't feel like risking money on something i'm not sure i'll enjoy as my expectations of it are for it to be dmc with tits, legs and glasses

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

10-17-2015 3:50 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

tits, legs and glasses are ok, btw

i like playing as momiji and kasumi when they appear in ninja gaiden Laughing Out Loud

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

10-17-2015 4:16 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I didn't really get into DMC when I played it, it was fine and all, I finished it, but...I don't think it's really my thing..so I just had no interest in bayonetta (also, no console)

It just seems like jumping around hitting buttons, and then bayonetta is just some dame in skimpy clothes to entice you to continue jumping and hitting buttons.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

10-17-2015 9:14 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

dawn of dreams ten times better

10-17-2015 12:11 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Agreedo

Shame it doesn't work on PCSX2.
10-17-2015 12:44 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

actually changing opinion to a million times better

10-17-2015 1:45 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I've only played devil may cry 3, but I thought it was a very obnoxious game. Dante was an annoying prick, and while the game gives you lots of options to be creative with combos, it just seemed like it was there for the sake of being stylish. Going out of my way to be as stylish as possible with my combos isn't fun to me, it's obnoxious

Onimusha 3 and Dawn of Dreams were both better games, definitely. I wish the first two didn't have tank controls so I could play them easier, but I like the mechanics of Onimusha more. Based more on timing. Plus, Samanosuke and Soki were better characters.

I like Ninja Gaiden because you can never be off guard. Regular enemies can easily kill you if you start getting lazy. The sequels aren't as good and they try at times to be challenging for the wrong reasons (NG:3 RE I'm looking at you) but they're still fun games to me

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

10-17-2015 1:47 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I actually thought about playing through the Onimusha games again, recently

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

10-17-2015 4:11 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

X had all the dmc games and I have no interest in them, literally the only thing I watched for dmc was Dante and that fucking pizza

I mean, what the hell

10-17-2015 4:24 PMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I've played DMC and DMC3, which were fun but not as fun as GOW.

I still need to play a few of my GOW games I got with my red PS3 controller. It has the PSP -> PS3 remasters, and I've never played them.

Still need to get Ascension.

DMC4 has been in and out of bundle packs that I've seen, and I'd like to acquire it that way.

10-17-2015 5:11 PMFreeze is offline Send an Email to Freeze Search for Posts by Freeze Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

DMC4 is the only DMC game I really enjoyed, and it was actually largely because they replaced Dante with a more interesting character

Dante was fun to play as in that one though. Style changing on the fly made all the difference

Quote by Necro:
there's this cookie cutter life that people expect you to have and once you hit your 20s you're supposed to be somewhere in the middle of it

i ate the dough

This post has been edited; it was last edited by Freeze: 10-17-2015 5:12 PM.

10-17-2015 5:32 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Trainee:
X had all the dmc games and I have no interest in them, literally the only thing I watched for dmc was Dante and that fucking pizza

I mean, what the hell

Yeah, that was Devil May Cry 3, the same one I tried. It was trying way too hard to be cool. Way, way too hard

I played a bit of the first God of War but I didn't care for it much either. It seemed too button mash for my liking, but I got it as a gift from someone who thought it was an awesome game anyone could pick up and enjoy

And yet, that's pretty much what the musou games are and I like those. But there's something satisfying about taking in entire armies by yourself

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

10-18-2015 4:45 PMDiglett is offline Send an Email to Diglett Search for Posts by Diglett Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Dante is good in DMC1 and DMC4 in terms of personality, where he's more passively 'cool', I suppose. He was a little shitstain in DMC3, and I hated his personality.

DMC4 and *gasp* DmC are my favorites aside from DMC1. DmC was fun for me, and Dante's personality was way less obnoxious compartive to DMC3...plus I found how casual it was about Dante and Virgil being rivals was.
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » How important is the narrative in a game to you?