What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » How important is the narrative in a game to you?» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page How important is the narrative in a game to you?
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
07-15-2017 2:05 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Alabastard:
Actually, I can explain the Dragon.

It was the original TSW scenario writer's favorite faction. He said if he were to be part of one it'd be the Dragon.

When you know this, it starts explaining certain things.

Like how it was the Dragon who made that Templar guy turn traitor in the Shambala faction quest you took way back when (remember that?) and had planned it from before he was born. They literally say in Hol's version of the quest that they made sure the Templar traitor's parents had sex to produce him specifically, according to their mathematical models.

Also you know the Stephen King-alike fanboy who KNEW THINGS, who the Illuminati wanted to find in Kingsmouth? Neither Templar or Illuminati have any idea where he is, and you only find out as a Dragon that they've had him the whole time in some little village.

Also how the Dragon straight-up won Tokyo by allying with some random gangster, and how they just seem to somehow know more shit than the other factions despite being made up for the game...

All wrapped up in a stereotype about Asians being good at math.

This is the sort of shit I mean when I talk about nerd writers ruining otherwise interesting stories. You should not make your personal favorite or made up faction literally the best in a story about semi-historical secret societies. It's dumb as hell. The same sort of shit shows up in Shin Megami Tensei.

I kinda addressed this, but...I think the Dragon are just as screwed as the other factions in the wake of Tokyo
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Basically it left off with "shit is getting cray-cray"

I have some theories how this may unfold, but this...wouldn't be the thread

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

07-16-2017 4:40 PMFreeze is offline Send an Email to Freeze Search for Posts by Freeze Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Funny enough, when I played, Dragon made the least amount of sense in the beginning

Quote by Necro:
there's this cookie cutter life that people expect you to have and once you hit your 20s you're supposed to be somewhere in the middle of it

i ate the dough

07-16-2017 7:31 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I hate dragon. I hate all the factions.

Dan Quayle: The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century.

07-16-2017 7:45 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

The Dragon initiation ritual is a magic BJ.
07-16-2017 8:51 PMFreeze is offline Send an Email to Freeze Search for Posts by Freeze Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Alabastard:
The Dragon initiation ritual is a magic BJ.

what

Quote by Necro:
there's this cookie cutter life that people expect you to have and once you hit your 20s you're supposed to be somewhere in the middle of it

i ate the dough

07-17-2017 12:50 AMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

It's exactly what I said.
04-14-2018 6:51 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Struggler:
Quote by Hannibal Lecter:
the flipside of the coin also raises this question: at what point can a story impact you negatively enough that you stop playing?

this is made with the assumption that you like the gameplay enough that you've invested some time for the story to make some developments, at least

Undertale.

Let me spoil it cause the game is shit anyway.

As you go through the game there's a strong female knight character that chases you. You encounter her several times and don't know she's female til someone says "she". Then she reveals herself, she's a fish-woman thing and has an eyepatch, not a traditionally "pretty" character.

As the game progresses she is defeated by you and if you allow her to live, she stops the whole killing thing. She retires, in a way. She hangs out with one of the skeleton characters and it seems like they like each other, but thankfully no romantic stuff happens.

Story progression, another character Alphys is encountered. She's a scientist and loves animu. You go on a date with her, eventually, cause she is obsessed with watching you play the game (this game is weird).

Long story short, after you get through the game the knight character says she got a job as a gym teacher (do you see where this is going) and Alphys decides she all of a sudden is in love with the knight and ends up dating her.

It's ridiculous, shoehorned bullshit that made me hate the game. Let's take a strong non-pretty woman and make her a lesbian gym teacher! Unless of course it's a mockery of those tropes but I really doubt it.

Doesn't undertale not really offer you a choice. It's either "do it this way" or else you're pure evil and the game itself as well as the autistic tumblr "lore fans" get mad.

So it isn't really even a question of morality. Its just a binary choice and you aren't making any kind of moral decision really, because that would involve addressing the options and maybe having to consider it, but writing is difficult so "Kill em all" or "kill nothing" were the options and then its a smart "indie game"?

'Indie games' that get popular seem to suggest fairly binary narrative as deep moral choices, from what it seems. Ones and zeros in general and thinking media should conform. Not to "trigger" anybody who liked undertale. Unless you were that type..but nobody on dottle would be.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

04-23-2018 1:22 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Iron was

Dan Quayle: The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century.

04-25-2018 6:36 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Struggler:
Iron was

Undertale: Not even once.

Quote by Alizarin:

05-15-2018 4:02 AMFreeze is offline Send an Email to Freeze Search for Posts by Freeze Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Undertale is actually really popular among my Japanese students

Quote by Necro:

i ate the dough

05-16-2018 6:23 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Could be worse, "Unit 731 did nothing wrong" or "Nanking was asking for it" is when you should worry.

Quote by Alizarin:

Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3] « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » How important is the narrative in a game to you?