What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » The Jerkstore  » Prognosis Negative - Polls  » Have you ever been in love?» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Have you ever been in love?
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
10-20-2015 10:09 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

For those who have, row many subtle levels of love do you personally have?

Me, it's like

1. I enjoy this persons company! They are my pal
2. I actually really like talking to this person. They are my friend
3. The person is adorable in some way. They're still my friend, though. I just give them extra perks because they're adorable.
4. We are such good friends that we frequently hang out and get touchy feely.
5. Oh shit. Person is too cute, probably gonna have a crush on this bitch for a few days, but will revert to a level 3 after.
6. I feel like I'm a teenager again, there's butterflies and all that kind of bullshit, though seldom.
7. God dammit, I think I'm in love. Welp, at least the sex will be good.
8. Dear unholy god when I think about this person I actually smile. My heart fills with joy and I cannot fathom being without this person in my life.

Poe: I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.

10-20-2015 11:55 PMGudetama is offline Send an Email to Gudetama Search for Posts by Gudetama Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I really hope so considering I'm engaged and all, but I'm terrible with emotions/being dead inside so some nights I do suffer from exciting OH GOD WHAT IF I DON'T ACTUALLY LOVE HIM AND JUST WASTED 7 YEARS OF OUR LIVES mental drama.

As for levels uhhh.... I think it went something like this:

1. I think about this person a lot, that's weird
2. I am actively talking to you of my own free will
3. Teehee those Haven nerds be crazy AMIRITE? I'm fun and whimsical. please like me
4. I'm in a moderately terrible home/mental situation, lets mee up across state lines because I'm not particularly concerned about my life at this time
5. OH GOD WHAT DO I DO? BE AWKWARD? THAT SOUNDS RIGHT.
6. Nerd out and ruin each other together until no one else will ever take us.

I have no clue what I'm typing but it took like 5 minutes so it's going to stay here and be posted anyways.

10-21-2015 1:03 AMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Yes.

I'll say I've had what I thought was love, but really just intense infatuation. Where the idea of love was coupled with a lot of the hormones for a very strong effect, but it didn't have any depth or substance. It was a very one way situation.

I've also had a more mature, but not fully realized love, which was early in my relationship with my wife. There was still a lot of hormones, and a day without her was a noticeable hole. The feelings were genuine and reciprocated, but very much present-oriented, concerned more with the immediate future and our ability to spend time together. It was about the rush, those butterfly moments.

Then there's now, where that love is a fundamental part of our lives. I plan for the future, and structure my life around making it better for my love. It means I sacrifice time, energy and wants. Not to be noble or a martyr, but because the love is strong enough that now I can delay immediate gratification or endure trying times because I know it ensures better times in the future. And, we both do that. I'm not the only one sacrificing or supporting or growing.

I thought that love was be-all-end-all, and then I had a son. I love my boys more than anything and anyone, which I wasn't expecting. I don't love my wife any less, but I there's something about my kids that takes precedent over everything else.

Something I've found interesting about those last couple kinds is how it's affected my values. I remember posting here once about my pacifism, which was naively idealistic but not unusual for a teen. Now, I still abhor and avoid violence, but I know that I would kill to protect my family, without hesitation. I would Rick Grimes bite someone's throat out if needed.

So I guess my levels are like this, each experienced only once:

1. Huge crush, unreciprocated, thought-consuming
2. Infatuation, reciprocated feelings to spur more infatuation
3. Honeymoon period "authentic" love, where I could be my normal self, rather than being wrapped up in being a target of love, but still very needy and fiery.
4. Deep, abiding love that has restructured my outlook on life, my actions and how I view myself.

10-21-2015 1:15 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

maybe once upon a time

these days i can't really be bothered to take an interest in anyone. if i notice someone likes me and she's pretty, i can respond, but it's more like a vulture spotting a carcass than me having legit interest

Laughing Out Loud

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:
Necro: Pfft. You're a useless waste of oxygen.

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
Political Correctness Needs to Stop
08/27/2015

10-21-2015 1:18 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

i just like spending time by myself way too much to really feel any big infatuation or anything else. i might have fun with someone but i never really look forward to spending time with anyone and the minute i'm alone i feel relieved

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

10-21-2015 1:37 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I don't really know if there are stages.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

10-21-2015 1:38 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

there's 8 stages and if you defeat one, you get the weakness of another one

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

10-21-2015 1:46 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I skip right to "This person is awesome" maybe.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

10-21-2015 6:28 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Christo:
I do suffer from exciting OH GOD WHAT IF I DON'T ACTUALLY LOVE HIM AND JUST WASTED 7 YEARS OF OUR LIVES mental drama.

Same. Except I don't think there's a waste of lives involved

Poe: I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.

10-21-2015 9:45 AMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Yeah, if you're happy with how thu last 7 years have gone it's not really a waste.

10-21-2015 1:56 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I do feel bad about how she'll probably have to take calculus 1 and ochem when she needs neither for what she wants to do in life.
10-21-2015 2:08 PMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I don't know about Organic Chemistry, but I would think knowing calculus could still be useful.

For instance, if you are ever working with statistics (even just reading/performing research), then calculus helps you understand how those areas under distribution curves are calculated.

I don't remember most of the equations and theorems, but I remember enough that when I see that kind of stuff in science journals or news I "get" what they're referring to. Plus, the challenge of it made doing well in the class personally fulfilling. One of the biggest things I learned was about my ability to accomplish challenging things. It sounds cheesy, but it made a difference. Now all my other classes seem so easy in comparison.

This post has been edited; it was last edited by Edger: 10-21-2015 2:09 PM.

10-21-2015 4:35 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I've taken statistics, done them by hand even. ANOVA, chi-squares, etc etc. To indicate the extent of how utterly I annihilated my math classes, I didn't even attend most of them and was still at the top of the heap. My professor of stats was happy to see me whenever I showed up, because I was basically the only one who knew what was going on and would talk to him. I also did three semesters of research that involved statistics.

So you'll see that I am in a position of relative authority when I tell you right now that Calculus I is utterly superfluous for the vast majority of statistics. You need college algebra at best, with maybe some low level pre-calculus.

Most people don't even do the stats by hand, they use a program like SPSS.

You REALLY don't need better than college algebra for most things outside of engineering and comp sci (and I hesitate to suggest you actually need calculus for the vast majority of application programming). It's ridiculous how much math she's been forced to take.
10-21-2015 6:21 PMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I found stats super easy, too, but I still like how Calc helps explain some of the Stats concepts, and I feel more rounded knowing it.

That said, I didn't want to go further than that and bounced majors before I had to take Calc 2.

10-22-2015 12:19 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I made a joke to her the other day that the M in STEM is just so the acronym works.

Quote by Alizarin:

10-22-2015 1:40 AMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Then they'd just call it SET, which makes more sense anyway.

10-24-2015 12:45 AMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

A SET degree... ehhhh
10-24-2015 12:57 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Figure out how to get an I in there and make it SETI for branding purposes?

Quote by Alizarin:

10-24-2015 2:09 AMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Jack Crawford:
A SET degree... ehhhh

SET for life, man!

10-24-2015 2:12 AMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Honestly there are people who can't make it work.
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » The Jerkstore  » Prognosis Negative - Polls  » Have you ever been in love?