What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » How do you create characters?» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 next » ... last »Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page How do you create characters?
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
11-18-2016 2:10 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

So legit question, if a game, especially rpg, let's you create a character how do you decide to build them? Do you have a de facto character you build in every game? IS there a class you usually use, or one you never do? Do you actively try to make something different in each game?

I pretty much usually play some kinda warrior and almost never mage. I was mage in pso, but only to play as a black guy with an afro. It was actually pretty fun though

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:
Necro: Pfft. You're a useless waste of oxygen.

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
Political Correctness Needs to Stop
08/27/2015

11-18-2016 2:37 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Almost always stealth based. Stealth-sniper if it involves ranged weapons (skyrim was archery)

Fallout 4 I intentionally went different and did a pistol and charsima based one, but otherwise it's pretty much always stealth.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

11-18-2016 2:42 AMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

My two preferred classes are generally thief and warrior. I find that most games make magic users too much about minmaxing or microing, and I hate that. Too much thinking when I want to play a game to just burn off some steam.

I'm also partial to cat-people. I'm not a furry, and don't like most anthro type stuff, but lions and tigers are awesome. So, being a lion warrior or something is just a cool concept to me. Before I ever played Elder Scrolls I played this MUD and my main was a cat warrior with some decent stealth skills.

Both thief and take play well with my weakness: I'm shit at reflexes. Thief class can hide, and strike when ready and hide again. Warrior can just take blow after blow. Lots of times when I try to be a heavy magic user, or glass cannon, I just die.

Elder Scrolls is awesome because it lets me a cat warrior thief all in one.

11-18-2016 2:45 AMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Here's my cat warrior thief (mains a bow. Awesome in Skyrim. Sneak is high enough that I can hide in plain sight. Almost every hit is like a 20x sneak crit).

I like those ancient masks, and on release there was a glitch that let you wear the mask and a hood if you put them on in the right order. They patched it, but I installed a mod that lets me do it still.

Downside is that when I'm not wearing the mask, for some reason it doesn't show my hood.

My Khajit is dark gray and black. Blends in with the shadows.

11-18-2016 2:55 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I think we equipped our characters basically the same (the...dragon priest or whatever mask)

I used the nightingale armor instead of the dark brotherhood stuff. Or I think I used a combination of the high level dark brotherhood armor and the nightingale armor and sometimes the ancient mask.

Went dark elf. But also bows, and yeah it's lol how you can just one-shot things after a certain point.

Oh I just realized it apparently gives you the special edition if you had already owned skyrim.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

11-18-2016 12:16 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Well with me its like this.

Wakfu: Gotta play as a girl, X says so. But I am a thief and have an ability to maybe make items drop, that is so my thing. We stopped at level 100.

TSW: Gotta be a girl, X says so. But I picked my weapons this time on my own, gasp. Blood and elemental magic. I never play as a magic user so I dunno what the fuck happened here. But TSW is very open with its ability choices and shit. X still minmaxes me at the end because, you know, X. "If you don't help the team you're not gonna be part of the team".

SMTO: Had to be a girl. Running theme. I just let X choose shit for me because the game was kinda stupid with abilities.

PSO: I was a robot with a triangular head. I used...whatever weapons I could, really. Didn't really minmax or anything in this one.

Baldur's Gate: Every iteration I had to play as a girl. Again, running theme.... X always gets me the ultimate flail at least, because I like smashy smashy. I was a standard character first then I started drawing them. I was like a berserker at one point, a pirate at one point...I don't recall the others. Sometimes I dual class and am like, a priest or something too, and I look at vampires and they disintegrate. I was so high level at one point I even killed a boss lich by looking at him.

I don't recall any others right now. Most of the time I really don't care so much about X controlling every single aspect of the game because that just lets me play it and I don't have to think. But non-MMOs I do like being able to name my own characters at least. I don't think I've played any single player game other than the Sims where you could create your own characters.

David Lynch: A lot of artists think they want anger. But a real, strong, bitter anger occupies the mind, leaving no room for creativity.

11-18-2016 4:23 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
TSW is very open with its ability choices and shit

Eventually, if you're not already there, you'll be able to use any and all weapons. So yeah it's not really locked in. Okay yeah towards the beginning, a little bit.

Quote by Alizarin:

11-18-2016 9:51 PMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

In games with creators like Skyrim and Saints Row, I spend a lot of time making my character look just how I want. It's a very fun part of the game for me.

I'm usually split on Male Female. Some races are uggo as one or the other. I main a female Monk on Diablo 3 because she looks more bad ass than the male version.

Sometimes games give gender based stat boosts, so I'll sometimes pick gender for that reason. Extra strength or dexterity or something.

My character names always have Edge in them, or just Edge. Or, one of my Skyrim chars is Ej, because I'm clever.

11-19-2016 12:38 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

in skyrim, my partner in crime is jenassa. i hired her in whiterun and i've taken her with me everywhere almost, even marrying her since why not. i like extra money. i gave her one of the dragon priest masks because they look cool, but i didnt want to hide my guy's tiger face. i just started getting ebony armor but i'll likely keep him with an orcish helmet

i tend to stay away from mages usually because their attacks are usually limited to how much MP they have or whatveer the equivalent is, and because they usually have shit defenses. glass cannons arent really my desired builds

in skyrim i'm playing as a khajiit, i like argonans too and was a werewolf in baldurs gate. its not really anything to do with being a furry and its unfortunate how cynical people have become that choosing a non human character associates you as one. i play as a human in almost every game. why cant i just be a tiger man or something to do something different. i usually tend to like elves more than humans too. probably will play as one in dragon age.

while i usually pick warrior as my class, i tend to go for heavier two handed weapons too. i dunno, sword and sheild just isnt really my thing

i sometimes play as girls too. in saints row i began by playing as an older black guy with the british accent, but at some point i made an asian girl going for more a female yakuza boss vibe.i didnt really like the male options in mass effect either, so I made a female.

also itt we post pictures of our characters

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

11-19-2016 12:40 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:

Well with me its like this.

Wakfu: Gotta play as a girl, X says so. But I am a thief and have an ability to maybe make items drop, that is so my thing. We stopped at level 100.

TSW: Gotta be a girl, X says so. But I picked my weapons this time on my own, gasp. Blood and elemental magic. I never play as a magic user so I dunno what the fuck happened here. But TSW is very open with its ability choices and shit. X still minmaxes me at the end because, you know, X. "If you don't help the team you're not gonna be part of the team".

SMTO: Had to be a girl. Running theme. I just let X choose shit for me because the game was kinda stupid with abilities.

PSO: I was a robot with a triangular head. I used...whatever weapons I could, really. Didn't really minmax or anything in this one.

Baldur's Gate: Every iteration I had to play as a girl. Again, running theme.... X always gets me the ultimate flail at least, because I like smashy smashy. I was a standard character first then I started drawing them. I was like a berserker at one point, a pirate at one point...I don't recall the others. Sometimes I dual class and am like, a priest or something too, and I look at vampires and they disintegrate. I was so high level at one point I even killed a boss lich by looking at him.

I don't recall any others right now. Most of the time I really don't care so much about X controlling every single aspect of the game because that just lets me play it and I don't have to think. But non-MMOs I do like being able to name my own characters at least. I don't think I've played any single player game other than the Sims where you could create your own characters.

in each of these games what do you think you would have made without X's influence, for better or worse

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:

\m/ Megadeth \m/
08/27/2015

11-19-2016 2:44 AMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I like it when blunt weapons are a viable option. Maces and morningstars are my fave type of weapon. But... they're rarely ever competitive with swords or axes, so I don't use them. I think they look cooler and have potential for better gameplay, but most games seem to toss them in as variety for mobs or just loot to sell.

If the game could manage it, a flail and a shield would be my fave build. But, must games shield mechanics suck (manual blocking is just a pain in most cases).

Funny that D3 has a class that is just that. Flail and shield is their go-to thing, and only class that can use flails, and they have a perk you can choose to let them use a shield and a two-handed flail. Dream combo! But I'm so used to playing as a Monk for 5 years that I can't get into the new class.

11-19-2016 2:02 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

It's been a while since I played mount and blade but I seem to remember blunt weapons being fairly viable (unless they changed it a lot when they rolled out the full commercial versions)

Quote by Alizarin:

11-19-2016 2:07 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
also itt we post pictures of our characters

Oh wait, there were screenshots. They're not great. I don't think I have any pre-vampirized ones, because I picked that up very early on.

The second one is if you get captured in a town and they confiscate all your equipment. Which I did once just to see what it was like and was like "meh"

Fuck yeah shadowmere though.

Quote by Alizarin:

11-19-2016 2:13 PMGudetama is offline Send an Email to Gudetama Search for Posts by Gudetama Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I almost always go mage because I've had a magic boner since i was young. Usually build a character that looks like meish, only if I was attractiveish if possible because I'm both lazy and new ideas are hard. I prefer going support but offensive mage is fine too. I'll see if I can grab a pic of my FF14 guy from FB.

11-19-2016 5:23 PMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I love magic but I don't like the mechanics. Even in Skyrim, managing what shout I'm using is a pain.

If I can get up my Skyrim on my laptop this weekend I can get screens of my sweet Elven Mage Warrior chick.

11-19-2016 6:48 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Skyrim, not counting the vampiric abilities, I didn't use magic all that much.

Probably because by the point you get up to the mage guild/college and really start unlocking stuff I'd already done the thieves guild and dark brotherhood thing and was ridiculously overpowered with backstabbing and archery. So aside from the shouts (mainly the one that brings the dragons down so you can attack them on ground level) I really only used those like one-shot wands or scrolls.

Quote by Alizarin:

11-19-2016 6:55 PMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I tend to try and at least get some Restoration so I can heal up when potions are limited

11-19-2016 7:01 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Somehow I never had that much of a problem acquiring potions outside of the early part (probably because of the whole "stealth/steal everything and anything" approach. I haven't played it in a while but my characters house by endgame was pretty much so loaded with basically an arsenal there weren't enough wall racks even and every chest has like five or more things in it. Even some of the coffins they have in the basement)

The ability to enchant/disenchant items is really useful though. Like if you get a weapon you can't use you can swap the enchantment over to something else. I remember making crazy daggers and stuff that way.

Quote by Alizarin:

11-19-2016 7:46 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

The game was a mirror of your actual house

David Lynch: A lot of artists think they want anger. But a real, strong, bitter anger occupies the mind, leaving no room for creativity.

11-20-2016 1:10 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Because of the wonky way that lets you place stuff some book I put down fell behind something.

Oh my god it kinda is then.

Quote by Alizarin:

Pages (7): [1] 2 3 next » ... last »« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » How do you create characters?