What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » So Settings» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page So Settings
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
12-30-2016 1:48 AMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

This is a topic I've been thinking about and have been wanting to make and only now feeling motivated to make. It's kinda twofold. The first question I ask, is what kinds of settings do you like in games? Why? What about them do you find appealing? What kinds of settings do you dislike? Why?

The second part of the question I want to ask, is just how integral is the setting in a game to your enjoyment? if you find a setting appealing, does it make you like the game no matter what? on the opposite end, if you don't like the setting, can you still enjoy it and what will it take to overcome the setting? is there settings you just can't enjoy at all? or does it just not matter?

my motivation for making this topic is that as i get older, i find setting actually matters to me alot. for the record, my least favorite is probably medieval fantasy. it's just so, so overdone that when i see a fantasy game with castles and magic and humans and elves and dwarves i just... don't care. i can still appreciate a game despite this. i played skyrim for a month straight because there's a gigantic world to explore, and even though i think metroid has the cooler setting, i prefer zelda in general. metroid is lonely, it's cold, it's hostile. super metroid and metroid prime are the last metroid games i played and both are incredibly atmosphereic games especially when held against their contemporary peers.

so why do i like zelda more? just the general design and formula, and the charm the series exudes. interesting to note too, is that my favorite zelda game is wind waker, which might also be my all time favorite game, and its perhaps the zelda with the most unique setting. the flooded world could have been abit more compact so you spend less percentage of it sailing, but the concept is awesome

speaking of fantasy vs sci fi though, the mass effect series is quite possibly my favorite games from the last generation, and while i like the general gameplay (especially mass effect 3), i LOVED the setting. space and sci fi RPGs are so rare that i found it downright refreshing to play, especially the first game. it had some curious design with planets feeling mostly like reskins on each other, but despite the vanilla and barren feeling, i loved exploring new planets. it felt exotic, it felt lonely, it was just you and your team in the expanse of space. i loved the feros chapter and the design of ilos was so atmospheric.

i like big open worlds to run around and explore too, and settings have a pretty big impact on the degree i enjoy them. while GTA V is in my opinion, better than GTA IV on almost every front, the setting is one of the best examples. GTA IV is pretty much New York City and New York is pretty much the most generic setting in anything, ever, that isnt medieval fantasy. GTA V is set in a fictionalized los angeles, which is also an over used setting in media, but its so sunny and warm feeling with lots of wacky characters. i'd rather run around in los santos any day than liberty city.

the historical settings of assassings creed is also the big draw for me to that series. they're adequate action games, but being able to be a pirate and run around in revolutionary france and victorian england is just cool. too many games plop you in a modern city, usually some kinda new york template, and while it's not a bad thing, having different kinds of enviornments to explore is somehting that appeals to me. it's why i'm enjoying mafia 3 partially, because new orleans is one of the cities that i'm most interested in seeing. and the 1960s! running around the bayou and seeing white trash is refreshing compared to running around manhattan AGAIN

i like japanese settings too, both modern and historic. the yakuza games do such a great job at simulating what i can only imagine japan is like, and while some of it isnt as fun as other (im looking at you pool), the overal experience is engaging and immersive. i love the way of the samurai series, but as action games they're pretty flawed. the stories are hit or miss (the first game still being the best), but being in control of your own little samurai "movie" is, to me, alot of fun to play out

anyways. thats what i got for now, i'm also uploading pictures of settings i think are cool. mafia, assassins creed (paris), gotham. i like how they all are cities, but have a different feel

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:
Necro: Pfft. You're a useless waste of oxygen.

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
Political Correctness Needs to Stop
08/27/2015

12-30-2016 2:17 AMFreeze is offline Send an Email to Freeze Search for Posts by Freeze Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I tend to like weird or unique settings, sometimes that blend things together. The Witcher 3 is "realistic" fantasy, like if you took the darkness of a gangster game and gave it a fantasy coat of paint. It has a really cool history too, but being based off of novels probably helps with that. FFXV was also cool in how it was a "fantasy based on reality," like you had normal people in normal clothes living in this normal town and then you drive a normal car out onto this normal highway and see a giant crystal ravine where the gods fought each other a long time ago. That dissonance is cool.

Medieval fantasy is the easiest setting to make boring, but I like it when it's done right. Zelda, like you said, is simple but charming, Witcher is more grounded, etc.

My favorite by far is near future though. Midgar in Final Fantasy VII, the 21XX of the Mega Man X series, even the Cyberpunk city in the bartending game I'm playing now. Something about it being not quite modern but not quite full-on sci-fi is really appealing. Like, you can draw the connections to our time enough that it's somewhat relatable, but it's different enough to seem exotic at the same time.

In the end it comes down to how the writer handles it, though. There can be an amazing setting that isn't written in an interesting way (Final Fantasy XIII is this for me) and likewise have a generic setting written in an interesting way (Zelda, although that uses gameplay to help it a lot)

Quote by Necro:
there's this cookie cutter life that people expect you to have and once you hit your 20s you're supposed to be somewhere in the middle of it

i ate the dough

12-30-2016 3:18 AMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I prefer modern.
12-30-2016 3:08 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Fallout, fallout, fallout. I fell in love with the whole retro-future thing the first time I played it as a kid. How to really put my finger on it...it's like the death of all the grandiose visions of the '50s and early '60s. Sort of "okay, everything people wanted and expected happened...that still wasn't enough though because human nature ruined it". War never changes, as the arc-word of the series goes.

In fact, and I'm almost embarrassed to admit this. I can sort of credit fallout for sparking my interest in the cold war. There's probably a through line.

Silent Hill, of course, is another one. But we all love that one, and we need not reiterate.

Secret World, which is modern setting with stuff lurking behind the surface reminds me of one of my favorite novel series.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

12-30-2016 8:00 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
The first question I ask, is what kinds of settings do you like in games? Why? What about them do you find appealing? What kinds of settings do you dislike? Why?

The second part of the question I want to ask, is just how integral is the setting in a game to your enjoyment? if you find a setting appealing, does it make you like the game no matter what? on the opposite end, if you don't like the setting, can you still enjoy it and what will it take to overcome the setting? is there settings you just can't enjoy at all? or does it just not matter?

1. I don't really know about settings I like. It's less setting and more characters, character design, and story that I care about.

A good example is Hyper Light Drifter which doesn't really have a story, or much of one, but the character design and the fact it was sprite based was the draw. The setting was...I guess futuristic/Fallouty.

I do know what setting I DON'T like: medieval. It took years for me to break down and watch LotR (love it btw) just because dwarves and elves and bleh. Baldurs Gate I don't pay attention to because it's dwarves and elves: I just like it cause it's multiplayer with friends.

If a game is attractive visually I will at least try it out. It has to keep me interested with a good story, though, and within the first ten minutes or else.

2. I don't really mind the setting if the game is good enough. But if a game has a main that I just can NOT stand, I can't continue the game. I just can't. It was hard to get through FF9 at first because Zidane was so unlikable until You're Not Alone. Again this goes back to how I mainly like characters and not setting. It's like how I never played Okami because running around as a dog isn't palatable to me.

Frank: Some cocks can't be unsucked.

12-30-2016 9:18 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
It's like how I never played Okami because running around as a dog isn't palatable to me.

Can I just say Ico was terrible like that. I mean I remember when it came out people were saying "Oh but it's SUCH ART". No it's a boring dude and some girl babbling in gibberish...and then you hit shadow-people with a stick and navigate someone across jumping puzzles. Or whatever.

Because premise. You have to save the gibberish princess because the game said "you're supposed to care about this. Here are two characters you really won't empathize with or give a damn about, one of them literally just makes noises, now pick up that controller and care damn you".

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

12-30-2016 9:36 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Alabastard:
I prefer modern.

You might enjoy Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines.

That's completely a modern setting.

Quote by Alizarin:

Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » G.L.C., 860,630 Points.  » So Settings