What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Triangle Guy - Art  » Rick and Morty sucks because the network is garbage» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Rick and Morty sucks because the network is garbage
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
04-23-2017 1:35 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

"I REPLACED THEM BOTH AS THE DE FACTO PATRIARCH OF YOUR FAMILY, AND YOUR UNIVERSE"

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

04-23-2017 10:18 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I was using the Falls thread for them but this works too.

Sometimes I think your boyfriend is apparently the kobayashi maru, there's no way to win.

04-23-2017 2:52 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Ohhh right.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

04-30-2017 5:55 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

LET ME OUT. LET ME OUT. THIS IS NOT A DANCE. I'M BEGGING FOR HELP, I'M SCREAMING FOR HELP. PLEASE COME LET ME OUT. I'M DYING IN A VAT IN THE GARAAAAAGE.

Quote by Alizarin:

08-25-2017 3:05 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Can Beth and Jerry just remarry and end that whole subplot. We get it, they're a co-depent family of screwed up people and Rick made it worse by showing up.

Like, I get that's a core component of the show. That its a messed up family with a mad scientist who self-medicates constantly living in their garage.

But nobody really cares about the marriage. Having that as like a background thing was probably better.

Quote by Alizarin:

08-25-2017 9:21 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Well, I just hate Jerry. I just do.

He reminds me of ex boyfriends is why

Sometimes I think your boyfriend is apparently the kobayashi maru, there's no way to win.

08-25-2017 10:47 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Him being a sad-sack is boring, and Beth just drinking wine is getting boring.

Making entire episodes about these aspects of the characters doesn't seem to work as well. The show is called "rick and morty" not "GET IT, FAILED MARRIAGE"

And before somebody goes "but you're missing the point". No I'm not, really. I think nobody is...we all understand the dark humor undercurrent of this. It's just that the beth and jerry characters aren't that funny. There's only so many jokes you can make about how they are only together because they had kids...it doesn't seem to work as well in the forefront of episodes.

Punchline, not a premise. Is what I'm thinking sometimes.

Quote by Alizarin:

09-06-2017 8:55 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Why Season 3 Sucks

edit: Hol, as a feminist, you're saying these wonderful female writers are a problem?!

yes

because the whole thing seems to be "look! we're diverse!!!!!1111"

and it would explain all this Durrrr... emotional bullshit like Summer with her "body image issues" and Rick going to lengths to avoid therapy (the therapy happening in the first place) and the "toxic" psychology episode

09-06-2017 3:49 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

OHHHHHH. They changed the writing staff.

Okay that explains it.

I mean, just in general I knew something was...for lack of a better term, "off" comparatively. Or it didn't really seem to be firing on all cylinders. Couldn't quite put my finger on it but yeah, the final piece of that puzzle is in place.

Quote:
The fact that Adult Swim has writers like these four – women who aren’t afraid to constructively point out some of the problems at the male-dominated network they work for – is a very promising start.

Yeah....um. Two things here.

I remember some of the stuff that they've greenlit, aaaaaaaaand yeah the problem there definitely wasn't a lack of female writing staff.

Second point, all I'm going to say is "Million dollar extreme" and let the implications of how this networks being run (near as I can tell it does whatever the blogosphere and one of the guys on tim and eric say) kinda seep in.

edit: PS where's season 3 of 12 oz mouse.

Quote by Alizarin:

09-06-2017 5:17 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote:
and the "toxic" psychology episode

You know this didn't dawn on me when I watched it.

Probably because I was still trying to figure out what the hell happened on twin peaks, but probably more because I forget about tumblr buzzwords within five seconds and don't like even thinking about the fact there is a tumblr...to stop those monsters 1, 2, 3. Just don't look. Etc.

But yeah the constant usage of "toxic" very well could have been some pandering bullshit.

Quote by Alizarin:

09-06-2017 9:06 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

It doesn't mattttttttttttttttttter what genitals or gender you have, it matters if you WRITE WELL

After research (2 minutes on wiki) seems that Vindicators, Pickle Rick, and Rickmancing the Stone were written by the new female writers.

Admittedly I've only liked the first ep of the season

09-07-2017 12:08 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Struggler:
It doesn't mattttttttttttttttttter what genitals or gender you have, it matters if you WRITE WELL

B-b-but the article. There's no such thing as meritocracy! White males were keeping these genius writers from such luminary things as "robot chicken" and a disappointing third season of rick and morty!

(AKA "My entire skill set is being the token lady, this is the only reason I'm getting a check". Good for her, frankly, I'd also manipulate white knights if possible...that's like all they're good for.)

Quote by Alizarin:

09-13-2017 9:01 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Struggler:
Pickle Rick

I liked the part where they overly-explained the entire running joke of the character dynamics, and also had him randomly yelling catchphrases and doing violent stuff.

The audience is stupid and these new writers need to school us on things.

I've also learned if you have a kinda secondary character then you need to ignore the episodes focusing on them and their relationship to a titular sociopath, just make her try to get high off of fumes from a pottery kiln in one line of dialogue or act sociopathic in an episode. Because edgy.

Quote by Alizarin:

09-13-2017 9:45 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Pickle Rick has become a phenomenon because endless trash and society is tsrow eht

09-14-2017 12:41 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

"Life is a nightmare"

Quote by Alizarin:

11-05-2017 7:18 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I think I missed the initial set-up part in the last one, so for a bit I was like "Wait why are a parallel rick and morty riffing on the movie training day with morty as the denzel character"

That's not a complaint necessarily. It's sufficiently bonkers.

And it didn't involve the Beth, Jerry, or Summer characters, or if it did I missed that part, which is a plus. Because this season doesn't seem to know how to really handle those three.

The "morty's mindblowers" episode was particularly clarifying about that. They have the summer character just kinda show up and arbitrarily fix everything because it was like they went "Oh, we need to end this. Um...suddenly she knows about emergency protocols Rick came up with?".

The show sorta has it's own weirdo internal logic with the characterization and this season it seems like that's out the window a little? Now arguably maybe that was supposed to be the joke, since the entire episode is them erasing their memories over and over again, and it's supposed to be implied this was some backup contingency that Rick like drunkenly yelled at her at some point.

Quote by Alizarin:

11-05-2017 7:31 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Struggler:
Pickle Rick has become a phenomenon because endless trash and society is tsrow eht

Also can I say I probably hate some of the fanbase of this.

Because I'm pretty sure the "I'M PICKLE RIIIIIIIIIIICK" thing was intentionally mocking the over-repetition of catchphrases. I almost didn't mind that episode because the idea of "Rick is so fucked up he'd become a pickle merely to avoid confronting how fucked up he is" seems fine. But I don't think it really stuck the proverbial landing.

Also they kinda did the catchphrase gag in the "tiny rick" episode.

I like the show enough that I'm willing to just sort of chalk it up to a normal thing that always happens when you mix up the writing staff, once they get into sorta a groove it can work out. Sometimes it derails stuff, sometimes the turbulence subsides and its fine.

Quote by Alizarin:

11-05-2017 7:35 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Windom Earle:
I think I missed the initial set-up part in the last one, so for a bit I was like "Wait why are a parallel rick and morty riffing on the movie training day with morty as the denzel character"

And it didn't involve the Beth, Jerry, or Summer characters, or if it did I missed that part, which is a plus. Because this season doesn't seem to know how to really handle those three.

The "morty's mindblowers" episode was particularly clarifying about that. They have the summer character just kinda show up and arbitrarily fix everything because it was like they went "Oh, we need to end this. Um...suddenly she knows about emergency protocols Rick came up with?".

The show sorta has it's own weirdo internal logic with the characterization and this season it seems like that's out the window a little? Now arguably maybe that was supposed to be the joke, since the entire episode is them erasing their memories over and over again, and it's supposed to be implied this was some backup contingency that Rick like drunkenly yelled at her at some point.

Supposedly this season sucked because "Hilary didn't win" and supposedly they were gonna run with something completely different if she did?

that's rumor though

11-05-2017 7:40 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Struggler:
Quote by Windom Earle:

Supposedly this season sucked because "Hilary didn't win" and supposedly they were gonna run with something completely different if she did?

that's rumor though

How the hell would that work.

Quote by Alizarin:

11-05-2017 7:44 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Rick and Morty’s co-creator, writer start new podcast to discuss race and reaction to show - Polygon

Dan Harmon is kind of infamously a barely functional alcoholic and this Jessica chick seems more obsessed with race than a stormfront poster. So....this seems like a trainwreck.

Quote by Alizarin:

Pages (2): [1] 2 next » « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Triangle Guy - Art  » Rick and Morty sucks because the network is garbage