What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Triangle Guy - Art  » Have actors lost the ability to act?» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Have actors lost the ability to act?
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
05-14-2017 1:10 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Is it just me?

Admittedly I don't bother with comicbook movies or "summer blockbusters" but, after viewing trailers for Alien Covenant, Blade Runner 2049, Atomic Blonde, and several others I can't recall at the moment, I do wonder...

Is it just nostalgia or are most actors now very wooden and "reading" their lines instead of acting?

There are a few actors that I can almost always expect an excellent performance from. Admittedly I got into John Goodman's work from Sharp telling me to watch Big Lebowski. Goodman was the best part of that movie and frankly the only reason anyone should watch it. He was also excellent in Cloverfield Lane and the Boston Bombing movie.

But take say, Noomi Rapace or whatever the fuck her name is. She was supposedly excellent in Prometheus, but didn't even come close to Sigourney Weaver in Alien or hell, even Aliens! ...or even Alien 3, to be completely honest. It's not that the script was awful (it was) she just can't fucking act.

Even The Arrival had a decent premise but I once again felt I was watching a made for TV movie and not Hollywood actors who make millions.

Is it just me?

Necro: its hard to belive he doesn't do drugs

05-14-2017 3:10 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I like Idris Elba.. first season of Luther especially he showed a wide range of emotions

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:
Necro: Pfft. You're a useless waste of oxygen.

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
Political Correctness Needs to Stop
08/27/2015

05-14-2017 4:00 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by The Greatest of All Time:
I like Idris Elba.. first season of Luther especially he showed a wide range of emotions

I was gonna say, in fairness the script for prometheus was that bad to the point it pretty much dragged everybody down.

Then again I haven't seen anything else with nomi whateverthefuck in it so maybe she's always bad.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

05-14-2017 4:33 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Elba ever do a movie role?

05-14-2017 4:48 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Yeah.

The most recent one (at least that I can think of, or the last one I saw him in) was the villain in that last star trek movie, beyond. But yeah he's been in several.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

05-14-2017 5:05 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Ew, new star trek.

And sorry but then explain Christopher Lee. He was in AWFUL movies but made them extremely watchable (when he showed up anyway)

05-14-2017 5:15 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

The most recent one was good I thought.

That wrath of khan remake....oh look the circle comes back to prometheus (damon lindelof as a writer on both, specifically)

Quote by Alizarin:

05-14-2017 5:20 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Struggler:
Blade Runner 2049

Rich Evans Auditions for Blade Runner 2049

Also I'm just gonna call it, the end of the blade runner cash in sequel film is gonna be the ryan gosling character is overtly stated to be a replicant and that will be used as an excuse for why they seem so wooden and dull in the trailer.

Or that's what you'll be told by people defending it (it's probably gonna suck yeah. If Harrison Ford is in it he'll likely phone in the performance, and then it'll just be "BUT SEE DECKARD WAS A ROBOT TOOOOOO")

Quote by Alizarin:

05-14-2017 5:27 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

How can Deckard be a robot if he's that old? Robots die quick.

05-14-2017 5:27 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

That's disappointing about "Arrival" though (wait we are talking about the recent one, not that shitty charlie sheen sci-fi movie from like 1990 something which was "The arrival") cause I'd been meaning to eventually watch that.

...I probably still will, the premise is at least interesting.

Quote by Alizarin:

05-14-2017 6:06 PMThe Greatest of All Time is offline Search for Posts by The Greatest of All Time Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Elba was in Pacific Rim with Charlie Day and Co. Probably not the best example though

He's also Shere khan in the live action jungle book; which I haven't seen yet

Year of Sharp, 2016

Quote by X-sah:
Necro: Pfft. You're a useless waste of oxygen.

There is an idea of a Necro; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there

\m/ Megadeth \m/
Political Correctness Needs to Stop
08/27/2015

05-14-2017 6:29 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Yeah Pacific Rim was...well that was Guillermo Del Toro basically doing a love letter to big japanese monsters and mecha stuff.

I liked pacific rim for what it was, but it was very much a genre thing with the influences worn on its sleeve (which is really most of Del Toro's stuff from what I can tell, not that this is a bad thing). Probably why I didn't bring it up as an example of acting.

Quote by Alizarin:

05-14-2017 8:38 PMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I don't watch a lot of movies from that era these days. Most aren't available to stream and I don't want to own them.

But when I do watch classics, I tend to find them a challenge to watch. The effects, atmosphere or acting are junt, blah. But at least they aren't blue/orange everywhere.

I think one thing you're noticing is that these days, especially the movies you mentioned, so much of the acting is done in front of green screens. Actors are wooden because they're talking at nothing, or nome dude in a body suit.

There was even that Bill Murray scene in the new Ghostbusters... We can't actually prove Bill Murray was ever in the same room as everyone else. So they're talking to a double reading lines, most likely.

But if you get into movies with less CGI and such, I think you might notice an improvement in acting because that natural connection between actors happens.

05-14-2017 8:39 PMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Idris Elba is also Heimdall in the new Thor movies

05-14-2017 9:19 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Struggler:
Admittedly I don't bother with comicbook movies

Sooo that wouldn't be a good counterpoint.

Also we're getting off topic here. Hol has a point, I think it's both the quality of acting and the quality of scripts.

Now to get further off topic, I wanna badmouth Sony a bunch.

Quote:
There was even that Bill Murray scene in the new Ghostbusters...

The only way Paul Feig and Sony Pictures are going to go away is if everybody stops acknowledging them.

If we all just collectively forget and ignore the ghostbusters remake it'll mean their plan of a franchise (which if you've read the leaked Sony emails they desperately want) it'll just disappear. Unless they get desperate and dan akroyd drinks too much more of his skull vodka, then they'll try it again aaaaand...you just ignore it again.

Sony Pictures trying to get a franchise is sort of the inverse of bringing back tinkerbell through wishing it in peter pan. If we all use our powers of ignoring it, it'll die.

PS I think Sony may finally lose spider man. If history is any guide, they'll go way too far and fuck up the sequel to this one that is coming out. Making them 0 for 3 attempts. Then Disney/Marvel can probably get full ownership of the rights. So there's another tentpole franchise gone. Then maybe they can abandon this fixation.

Quote by Alizarin:

05-14-2017 9:33 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Edger:
But when I do watch classics, I tend to find them a challenge to watch. The effects, atmosphere or acting are junt, blah. But at least they aren't blue/orange everywhere.

I think one thing you're noticing is that these days, especially the movies you mentioned, so much of the acting is done in front of green screens. Actors are wooden because they're talking at nothing, or nome dude in a body suit.

This is exactly the problem. Acting, characterization in the writing, this is all being put aside in favor of "BUT DA GWAFIX" or "DOES THIS SCRIPT MAKE A BUZZFEED WRITER NOT BE UPSET" or "WILL IT PLAY TO EVERY CONCEIVABLE DEMOGRAPHIC BOTH DOMESTICALLY AND INTERNATIONALLY SO THE QUARTERLY PROFITS WILL WORK" or "IS THERE A TOY OF IT WE COULD SELL?!"

That's not how you fucking make a movie. "At least they aren't blue/orange eveywhere". GOOD, THAT'S GOOD IF ITS NOT JUST THE SAME PABLUM.

And yeah. I know it was always like that to an extent. But it's worse now because everything is hyper focus grouped even more due to the foreign markets, and also the studios know that theaters as an industry are fucking dying.

Why do you think they brought back the "3d" gimmick they tried back when televisions were becoming common, or again when VHS systems were becoming common, and now when streaming is becoming common.

They are dumbing it down, and they are aiming at the broadest lowest common denominator, and they are altering the product so nobody ever gets upset or challenged or thinks. This is probably a dying industry. With some exceptions like the really successful industry giants.

But this is why I keep pointing to the Sony Pictures emails when this stuff comes up, that is an example of a studio that seems to be knocking on death's door and desperately clamoring to exist in a changing landscape.

Quote by Alizarin:

05-15-2017 12:31 AMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Sony won't lose Spider-Man, they've already announced that after Spider-Man Homecoming's sequel they're going to make their own Spidey movies again and they're already working on a rated R Venom movie.

05-15-2017 12:39 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Edger:
Sony won't lose Spider-Man, they've already announced that after Spider-Man Homecoming's sequel they're going to make their own Spidey movies again and they're already working on a rated R Venom movie.

Remember when they were super, totally, unquestionably gonna do a movie just about the villains, and they were setting up the last two Spider Man films as the beginning of a franchise?

That needless shot of like the doctor octopus arms and vulture wings and paul giamatti as the rhino outta nowhere was the implication, they did not do that as a winking nod..that's "we need to compete with the other big budget comic movies"

That worked out so well they had to reboot the whole thing and cut a deal with another studio that the IP they technically own could show up in another movie.

If Homecoming and this third attempt at a franchise doesn't work, then Marvel/Disney may have them dead to rights in terms of re-negotiation. And you know they are thinking of it, because the contracts are starting to expire for the people in the avengers movies and if they could get spider man back as a property and a younger less expensive actor, it'd be a win-win for them.

Quote by Alizarin:

05-15-2017 2:05 AMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Amazing Spider-Man 2 bombed super hard, and then Sony got hacked, which contributed to the axing of Sinister Six and probably also to the deal with Marvel.

But Sony won't just give up that IP. It's a cash cow, even the failures, and there's way more Spider-Man characters than just Spidey.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/sony-just-randoml...-out-1793351904

Spider-Man Could Exit MCU After Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 | Collider

05-15-2017 2:56 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Actually they were sort of planning the deal with Marvel prior to that stuff getting leaked, that's one of the things that was mentioned in the leaked internal memos if I recall.

You are probably correct about them not ceding the IP completely (unless, as I said, they really ended up against a wall where it could be bought out) because they are desperate to monetize SOMETHING they own and use it as a tentpole.

Quote:
there's way more Spider-Man characters than just Spidey.

Yeah but outside of spider-man, venom, or doctor octopus nothing thats really all that marketable.

The idea of a Venom horror movie actually isn't bad, you could do something interesting with the idea of the symbiote being this weird codependent alien, that's probably what they should have done from the get go if they were so hellbent on shoehorning it in.

Quote by Alizarin:

Pages (2): [1] 2 next » « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Triangle Guy - Art  » Have actors lost the ability to act?