What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Triangle Guy - Art  » Have actors lost the ability to act?» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Have actors lost the ability to act?
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
05-15-2017 9:36 AMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I maybe would have agreed before Legion came out.

05-17-2017 12:34 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Part of it is green screening, yes.

Let me show you a good image:

This is what they have to act in nowadays.
05-17-2017 5:26 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Lord of the rings was like a mix of green screens and in-camera perspective tricks on physical sets with actual actors, among other things though.

The ultimate example, while it may seem convenient and needless to dredge up, would probably be Lucas on the prequels which were...from what I can tell, almost entirely green screen sets.

And after that as the technology has been further refined/likely decreased in price/become more available the torch was carried further and further to this whole notion of "we'll do it in post" applied to things you'd actually have to...you know...do when filming.

But yeah this is another angle to the problem. Don't misconstrue that as a counterpoint, just that lord of the rings is far from the most egregious offender.

Quote:

Legion is so very tangentially connected to the source material though. It's basically doing its own thing with some nods, near as I can tell.

Or you're suggesting Noah Hawley should write/direct one of those proposed movies sony is discussing. At which point as long as there's a restraining order preventing the studio from interfering....yes lets do that. Please.

In fact just go with that, yeah, I wanna see that now.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

05-17-2017 5:31 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Struggler:
How can Deckard be a robot if he's that old? Robots die quick.

Since I'm assuming the laziest route with this is gonna be the one that happens.

Deckard is going to somehow be like the first replicant that can age...so basically doing the "yeah he was a replicant" angle but also explaining any counterpoint with "but he was a new kind of them", so they'll try to weasel it by solving but not solving the whole anonymity of the ending across the various cuts, because they still owned the rights to the IP/Harrison Ford's check cleared felt that was indeed the correct ending.

And gosling's character will somehow be connected to this.

Because doesn't the trailer end on some line presented ominously like "You are special"

(I'm not going down the whole rabbit hole of arguing the ending, if for no other reason than it's been a while since I've watched blade runner anyways)

Like it's not unimaginable they would try for some kind of oddball hybrid of both theories being true. This is the actual synopsis:
Quote:
A new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), discovers a dark secret that might bring an end to humanity. K's discovery leads him to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former blade runner who disappeared thirty years ago.

The dark secret is replicants that can age, isn't it.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Alizarin:

05-17-2017 6:16 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

...Of course the standard question would be:

"Uh huh, and why would Tyrell hide this from Roy?"
05-17-2017 6:23 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Nobody's gonna nitpick it. Or maybe explained, and this will reveal a new layer to the story that was being told.

Wait are you implying they only wanted to use a recognizable IP that they owned and had been discussed for a while with several writers and directors attached and the current release may have merely been a studio getting all the necessary ducks in a row for it, rather than the script or anything meriting it this time?

Quote by Alizarin:

05-18-2017 5:54 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Edger:

I would, again only conditionally recommend the show Legion to someone who follows comics. Just because like the cinematography and the acting and the way they do stuff was interesting.

Do not go into it expecting a faithful adaptation of that comic book. There's no whizz-bang superheroics. They never even call the protagonist legion, if I recall.

I'm not saying it's "too smart" or anything. Just that it's...very much it's own thing. Non comic readers like myself can appreciate it, people who know what and who legion is will have enough winks, it's just good. But it is not an adaptation.

edit: This started as a movie thread, sorry it became about a tv show. Except not sorry because television shows are doing shit that movies seem to shy away from nowadays. "Hannibal", is the one we all watched.

Quote by Alizarin:

05-19-2017 2:42 AMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

All I'm saying is that even those lesser-known IPs have been shown to be very successful, even if the adaptation is very loose, so they wouldn't want to let go of those rights.

And we have more shows coming, like the Gifted and The Runaways, so...

05-19-2017 2:54 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Edger:
All I'm saying is that even those lesser-known IPs have been shown to be very successful, even if the adaptation is very loose, so they wouldn't want to let go of those rights.

And we have more shows coming, like the Gifted and The Runaways, so...

Yeah if it's good.

Something...by which I mean everything...tells me that Sony is not going to do some creative engaging spin on Venom or whatever the way a competent show-runner who was given a lot of leeway by the network and rights owners will.

Also we're comparing a long form narrative television show to a probably 90 to 130 maximum minute movie that, by economic necessity, has to recoup or exceed it's budget and play to demographics that studio people gear it to.

Domestically and abroad...specifically abroad because frankly that's where the money is lately. Dumb it down and make it flashy and that'll translate to everybody (or pander to the chinese. You need the money from that market)

So all of those factors will be primary and the script, acting, direction is not gonna be the immediacy.

Quote by Alizarin:

Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Triangle Guy - Art  » Have actors lost the ability to act?