What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » She Blinded Me  » Species of ant carries wounded out of battle» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Species of ant carries wounded out of battle
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
05-16-2017 1:36 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Watch Ants Carry Wounded Off Battlefield—Never Before Seen

Quote:
But a new study reveals the ants have a never-before-seen strategy that helps the colony weather wartime casualties. Unlike all other ants, Megaponera analis soldiers carry their injured comrades home.

While this may seem like a small courtesy to the individuals being rescued, these tiny heroics add up, says study leader Erik T. Frank, a myrmecologist at the University Würzburg in Germany.

Even ants that lost multiple legs recovered in about a day. Amazingly, almost all of the rescued ants were able to participate in later termite-mound raids.

Though other ant species save their nestmates' lives in moments of immediate danger, the matabele ant behavior is unique because they don't know if the wounded ants would die without their help.

Every other ant species (so far) do not show this behavior.

Necro: just really makes you think: only have sex with people that arent batshit

05-16-2017 9:26 PMEdger is offline Send an Email to Edger Search for Posts by Edger Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

That's pretty cool. I don't have much else to say about it though Laughing Out Loud

05-17-2017 12:31 PMAlabastard is offline Send an Email to Alabastard Search for Posts by Alabastard Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I express terror at our future ant overlords.
05-17-2017 6:04 PMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Quote by Edger:
That's pretty cool. I don't have much else to say about it though Laughing Out Loud

his secret reaction:

So wait, using Hol's knowledge of bug doing bug things, an all Ant remake of "Black Hawk Down" is feasible?

Okay so first we build a little tiny replica of Mogadishu..then hope alien: covenant flops in case Ridley Scott still owns the rights to that book.....and we build tiny props for the ants.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » She Blinded Me  » Species of ant carries wounded out of battle