What a Weird World We Live In
Register Calendar Members List Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Triangle Guy - Art  » The Orville» Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread PostRecommend on Facebook
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Orville
Post« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
10-30-2017 10:05 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

I am gonna do a little "play by play" of episode 1. Which supposedly "sucks" but by ep 2 the series is "better".

WE'LL SEE.

No spoilers ahead.

- The doors open and close with DOOM elevator sound effects. It's extremely jarring and loud.

- It is completely obvious that the computer is trying to sound like Star Trek's computer
====== and doubly obvious that the robot is trying to sound like Data!

- The bridge is laid out just like TNG. But more open space. The chairs are kind of weird though, like standard office chairs.

- The CGI is really good, like Star Wars level. Where did he get the budget?

- The ship itself is an OK design. It's not as awkward as the Enterprise, but has weird "tails" that I suppose are where warp happens and what not. The moonroof is also really odd.

- "Lt. Commander Bortus" is a mix of Worf and Spock. The voice of Worf, the no-nonsense attitude of Worf, but the intelligence and monotone of Spock.

- The second in command is very obvious. MacFarlane's acting is also hit or miss for this ep, but it's MacFarlane so.

- The jokes are awkward and sporadic. I laughed only once. MacFarlane's sarcasm is tiresome.

- The colors are different, uniform-wise. I really, really love the science officer green.

- WTF did they record a sequence at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden?? It looks eerily like it

VERDICT

I can see why the goons/some internet denizens are saying this is way better than STD. Because it really seems so. I have only seen clips of STD on RedLetterMedia but it looks WAY too dark, too dramatic, too "let's shoehorn in current political climate hurr durr", they screwed up the Klingons completely, etc.

This definitely has more of a Star Trek feel, without taking itself seriousky. I felt that was the biggest error of Star Trek: Enterprise... and the biggest error of Voyager was its absurdity. So this is kind of a middle ground, so far.

If you can stomach MacFarlane, I suggest you try this out. I personally hate his guts and could tolerate his presence, so. Even though he's the captain, he doesn't have the overwhelming presence of Picard or Sisko (imo) so he's not in your face throughout the episode.

I was worried MacFarlane would fuck up Lt. LaMarr because of how he was talking at first, but thankfully there was no over the top ridiculous racism that he is prone to use in Family Guy.

The current villains are also pretty good. Have a Cardassian look to them. They don't look shoddy like the Klingons now do, with their "aerodynamic" fakey look.

Bill Murray: Don't think about your errors or failures; otherwise, you'll never do a thing.

11-22-2017 12:00 PMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Oh god I have not only heavily gotten into this show, I have dragged X with me. What a miserable fate!

I love the show. It has its TNG moments, its Original moments, its DS9 moments...

(for me TNG is "kinda goofy shit happens, Data saves everyone, story progresses as normal" Original is "really goofy moments that are hard to take seriousky, but you do because of the acting" and DS9 is "OH GOD PLEASE PASS THE TISSUES, I AM DYING INSIDE")

Sorry STD but you really have fumbled big time if Seth Fucking MacFarlane has made essentially a Star Trek fanfiction show and is doing far far far far far better service to Star Trek than you are.

This show is about life on a starship. There are space battles and explosions. There are many problems to solve. But ultimately the show is about the interactions between all the crewmembers. The gossip, the friendships, the difficulties. You know, like TNG and moreso DS9 were.

Thanks STD I am defending something Seth MacFarlane did

Bill Murray: Don't think about your errors or failures; otherwise, you'll never do a thing.

11-23-2017 12:36 AMRussian Agent is offline Send an Email to Russian Agent Search for Posts by Russian Agent Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Yeah I maaaaaaybe could buy the "every first season of star trek shows has its problems!" thing the paid CBS shills or thinkpiece writers std defenders throw out

Until I heard...everything else about the show. Yeah there's no going back from that short of just tearing it down and rebooting it from square one in the second season. The fundamental stuff is too fucked. It's not like next gen or ds9 where it just needs to find its footing but the makings of a good show are there.

These are not fairy tales, or myths. This place of power is tangible, and as such, can be found, entered, and perhaps, utilized in some fashion..

Quote by Nina Fortner (regarding faking one's death):
Been there done that. No one would believe it this time.

Quote by Alizarin:
holy fuck i am ready to burn it all down. all of it.

12-14-2017 11:03 AMStruggler is offline Send an Email to Struggler Search for Posts by Struggler Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post       Go to the top of this page

Why does STD suck so bad? I just can't wrap my head aroun---

Quote:
"The allegory is that we really started working on the show in earnest around the time the election was happening," showrunner Aaron Harberts told EW. "The Klingons are going to help us really look at certain sides of ourselves and our country. Isolationism is a big theme. Racial purity is a big theme. The Klingons are not the enemy, but they do have a different view on things. It raises big questions: Should we let people in? Do we want to change? There's also the question of just because you reach your hand out to someone, do they have to take it? Sometimes, they don't want to take it. It's been interesting to see how the times have become more of a mirror than we even thought they were going to be."

The showrunners clearly hope that their take on the election will help bridge the divide in 2017 American politics.

"The thing about the war is it takes Starfleet and the Federation and forces them to examine their ideas and ethical rules of conflict and conduct," Harberts said. "It provides a backdrop to how we want to be as a society and that analysis and self-reflection is new for Trek. They've done it in certain episodes in the past, but this is a true journey for the institution in itself."

The official Star Trek website describes Klingons as a "well-statured warrior race [that] has a genetic predisposition to hostility and a well-known streak of fatalism." It also notes that, "the Klingon people hold honor above life — although as with any culture, high-level politics and personal gain get in the way. In Klingon culture, lower-ranked officers consider it a duty to kill off a superior who is perceived as weak."

The series is apparently set also to be an allegory for on-going tensions between the U.S. and North Korea, in addition to one about President Donald Trump's election.

"North Korea is in our thoughts as we finish the series," Harberts said. "What began as a commentary on our own divided nation — in terms of Trump supporters and non-Trump supporters — has blown out to North Korea and how we're right on the brink. [The U.S. is] actually right at the place where Starfleet finds itself in episode one and we couldn't have anticipated that happening. But how do you end conflict when both sides have such strong opinions?"

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
What a Weird World We Live In » Media Area  » The Triangle Guy - Art  » The Orville